Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HEMI Tech- INDEX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OF COURSE we're interested! :D Get a thread going for it and drop a link under the blower section of the Index. That will be good information.

2. Dice

Dice
    from Marion, TX

Here's a couple of trivia facts I leaned on my 392 while doing a cam swap.

1. If you remove the rocker shaft bolts to remove the pushrods, there's nothing holding the heads on the engine.

2. Hemi heads make a loud noise when they hit the floor.

Ask me how I know.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you not have the alignment dowl pins in place??????

OUCH!

4. Dice

Dice
    from Marion, TX

It was on an engine stand and was rotated a few degrees. The head on the "high" side stayed on the dowel pins just fine. But the head on the side that was rotated kinda downward seemed to be quite happy jumping onto the floor.

Seems like something as awesome as a hemi would have more than just 4 bolts per cylinder holding the heads on. Heck a sbc has almost double the number of bolts holding it on. 10 bolts for hemi vs 17 bolts for Chevy.

Oh well, no harm done and I learned something new.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is part of the reason I switched to head studs. :D

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Dice; Hows yur cement?
    I wish I had access to this info when I had my 46 Military Dodge wc-26 that we put a 270 in. It was a red ram and the license plate said SMI ATO.

7. 73RR

73RR

...and we can still make a couple of thousand horse power with 10 bolts....

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Book Mark

9. dlbraly

dlbraly

I have not rebuilt one yet.

What about a thread on specialty tools for Hemis. or suggested tools.

10. 73RR

73RR

Very little in the way of 'special' tools are required. That said, if you use adjustable pushrods, you will find it extremely handy to have a couple of purpose bent end wrenches to get into the restricted space.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As 73RR mentioned, not a lot needed. Any special or helpful tools I would just put under their specific area of use. For example, if the tool was used for tightening pushrods (which apparently there are some tools that make this easier, sold by Hot Heads) would be put under the related section for pushrods, and other valvetrain components.

Good thinking though! Thankfully nothing special required. If you (or anyone else) DOES find something specific or helpful, please drop it into the related topic of where it would be used!

Glad people are throwing ideas out there for topics! I appreciate it! All feedback is appreciate and hopefully you guys keep it coming. Thanks!

12. jsrail

jsrail

A quick thanks to scooter for setting up these tech threads! Having just acquired most of a '55 C300 331 Hemi, I'm gathering all kinds of info which is great since I've never own a Hemi before. Now I'm just gathering parts as I can afford them. thanks to robert1 for the oil pump and filter!

Keep these threads going!

Jay in AZ

13. Can anyone tell me the length/height of a spark plug insulator for the 426 Hemi?

I am running a 325 KD-500 Dodge in my track roadster and in order to run modern thickness ignition wires the builder fabricated spacers to create more room under the covers. Thus, a longer or taller spark plug insulator might work well if it's not too long.

Thanks,
    trakrodstr

See more at my project thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356019&highlight=track+roadster&showall=1

Attached Files:

14. I THINK the Hot Heads Site has the measurements for the spark plug tubes...

15. Thanks 345 DeSoto,

I was asking about the insulator/connector that fits over the spark plug and attaches to the ignition wire.

By the way I have two DeSoto Hemis. One is a 330 drag race engine that was assembled in the 70s and never started. It has zoomies, Hilborns, some really high compression Venolia "pop-up" pistons and who knows what cam. The other is a DeSoto Industrial Hemi, 276, that was used as a water pump engine on a forestry fire truck. I also have a NOS billet steel Moldex crank that was ordered for a racing hydroplane but never used.

I dream of an extreme hi rev small DeSoto Hemi with the crank completely tricked out....maybe someday.

cheers,

trakrodster
    aka charlie

16. 354HEMI

354HEMI
    from MARYLAND

Thought this should be back on top. dare to be different, it will make even a turd look good.

17. mrstude

mrstude
    from florida US

Are there any parts from Desoto Hemi's that interchange with Chrysler Hemi's ????

18. Starters but there are several different ones depending on the year That's about it.

19. George

George

I think all the high deck hemis use the same oil pump, @ least according to Leo's book.

20. 73RR

73RR

Here are some tid bits of oil pump info...I have also put this in the OIL System folder.
    Dodge started out with what we generally consider to be the '392' pump.
    Chrysler started out with what is generally called the 'early style' pump.
    ...and then there is DeSoto...
    DeSoto used the design of the early pump, but, they used the 'foot' design of the Dodge. So what you have is an early style pump that will bolt on to a Dodge or a 392. Conversely, you can put a new M-50 on your DeSoto, of course the pick-up tube must be dealt with but, hey, were fabricators, right? Also, the DeSoto shaft is about 0.100" shorter than the rest so some fussing is required if you swap things around.

276-291 DeSoto on left, 331 Chrysler on right, note the casting numbers.
    [​IMG]

The feet sure 'look' the same...
    [​IMG]

time to get the tape out...DeSoto
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully I have been able to offer some additional confusion to the issue..:D

Gary

21. Thanks to everyone that have added to this one stop shop for Hemi knowledge. Very impressive. Great work.

22. concreteman

concreteman

Scooter
    Thanks so much for the Tech Reference -being a first time Hemi owner
    they have been my most and best referance for all my Hemi needs
    Thanks
    again
    Chris

23. streetcoupe

streetcoupe

I have a early hemi I recently purchased (my first) and the seller described it as a 1958 Dodge 354 Hemi out of a dump truck. I finally got it apart (with alot of patience, 2 cans of PB Blaster and heat,. wheew) and it looks like has never been gone through before.

Headed to the machine shop but wanna make sure I'm on solid ground with the ID.

Valley casting number is # 1619829-7 and number stamped on the front of the left bank is VT576.

Any help??

Thanks, jeff

24. farmer12

farmer12

I just want to thank scootermcrad for the wonderful Hemi tech info/index he has provided for everyone who's into Hemi's. It has certainly helped me in quite a few ways. Fantastic work! Thanks, Eric/farmer12

Attached Files:

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff, take a look at the ID thread linked above. You will find plenty of info on that number. At first glance, it does appear to be a truck number.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweeeett!! That thing is niiiice! Make sure to add a video to your progress!

Glad the tech helped! I have been SUPER busy around here, so I've fallen behind on the organization of it all. I have a bunch to add, including a BUNCH of info on Daimler Hemis, and some much needed links.

In all seriousness, though. This tech is NOTHING without all who have added to it! Keep adding to the tech as you see good links out there!

27. farmer12

farmer12

28. 73RR

73RR

The block casting number is 354! I'll add the vt 576 to the list. Thanks!

29. streetcoupe

streetcoupe

Thanks, the link is awesome. I dropped the short block at the machine shop here locally this morning,. I've got the heads that came off of the 354 engine which appear to be truck heads with the "tall" heat passages and second set of 392 passenger heads.
    I want to run a 2x2 edmunds intake but the 354 truck heads with the tall heat riser passages in the center arent covered by the intake. In the link you sent me it says the 392 heads will work on the 354 short block but I cant use my edmunds 2x2,. Sigh,. Seems like there should a way,.