Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Early Custom Pick

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Rikster

Rikster

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'm listening...:D:D

C'mon Brootal, you know damn good and well that not everything that's done is going to please everyone (especially on this board)...I like 'em and that's all that's important... :cool: and besides, I painted that car lime green in 1983...NO ONE painted cars green in the early '80's (except me...I don't follow a crowd) and I put those scallops on the car in 1995...and still not following a crowd...

I didn't build the car for you or anyone else...just ME!!!

R-

3. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

might be a bit new for this discussion but i love this one

Attached Files:

4. Kurtis Kraft

Kurtis Kraft
    from SoCal

5. Rikster

Rikster

Kurtis Kraft

Oh my.... OH MY....!!! Those photos you posted are so Incredible. Please say you have more of those.

The first one is the Jimmy Summers 1936 Ford with fade away fenders.
    And the second and third shot seam to be taken at the Barris Shop at Compton Avenue and in the background is what appears to be Sam Barris his 1940 Mercury and Jesse Lopez 1941 Ford seeing from behind, and Johnny Zaro's 1941 headlight on the right

Oh my!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Oh My is right Rik!!

I want to know what the two pictures in his first post that are not showing up are of.

7. amazing stuff.
    for me the calori 36 is about it. but for some reason, the big bulbous sedans (especially with carson top) seem to pique my interest.

there was a 36 roadster that was always around so. cal. about 10 years ago. saw it at pomona a number of times. it sat tail dragger, was chopped with a PERFECT top, well detailed flathead. black and beautiful. THAT was the car that settled it all for me. THAT car haunts me.

8. I pretty much figured that would be the answer. LOL

You're right about that colour. Something similar hit the OEM market in Australia about 2000 and before long, every second street machine, hot rod and custom was painted 'Hothouse Green'.

You're just way ahead of you're time Roger. :D

9. radio_king

radio_king

Amazing photos Kurtis Kraft,how did you get those?Any more??

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thank you. Always have been.

Not bragging or anything, but I purchased that Studey in Spring,1977...everyone (into "rods") thot I was nuts...I heard "You're going to do what with it?", "It'll never make a good looking car" and "Go get yourself a '32 Ford."

No one (into rods) would accept my orphan make as a rod...took a winter to build it and I drove it to Merced, Cali in summer of 1978...the Cali "rodders" wouldn't even acknowledge I was there with my orphan rod cuz it wasn't red, open wheeled or square (Me, follow a crowd?) It was primer gray with copper colored flames, five spoke mag wheels and a nose high stance....a 'gasser' look in 1978.

I changed the look of the Studey in 1992 by adding the skirts, running boards and tail dragging stance....the Turquiose scallops came later. BTW, the 400" engine was overhauled in 1983 as well...it's now got over 135,000 miles on it and still going strong.

So, there ya go...sometimes it's a bitch staying ahead of the curve...but I certainly take delight in saying "I don't follow a crowd."

R-

11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Kurtis Kraft, who are you?
    And do you have any more photos to share :) I have never seen those photos before

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

X2....... That radical 35-6 three window is cool !!

13. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Here's a few pics of my favorite. This is the Subias '41 Merc "Black Beauty". There are some incredible cars on this post here. It does not get much better than the early customs and their styling. The understated elegance of these early customs do it for me everytime. We know the history of this car from the time Vince Subias bought it in 1950 and finished up the custom work, but the chop and Carson top was done in the 40's and this is a mystery. This car was supposedly owned originally by the gentleman who owned the Avalon Theater in LA back in the 40's and he sold it to Subias. Anyone have any more info on this car pre 1950? I know it was a long time ago. I will try and get some better pics and put them up.

Attached Files:

14. Rikster

Rikster

It looks a lot like the Hal Peterson 1941 Lincoln... but it most likely is not the same car. I guess there were many more built like this. And its really hard to tell with the fuzzy photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    Mild Mitch likes this.
  15. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Rikster that is really a close match but you are probably correct, it probably is not the same car. I know things could have changed over the years like bumperguards and a few other things, but these two cars are awfully close in the details. These guys were on the same page when it came to the styling of these '41's. I will get some clearer pics, but you can also see the story on the Subias Merc in TRJ issue # 38( the one w/ the restored Sam Barris Merc on the cover)

16. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

17. Kurtis Kraft

Kurtis Kraft
    from SoCal

Yes, I do have more! Please contact me if you or anybody is interested in them.

18. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

19. Kurtis Kraft

Kurtis Kraft
    from SoCal

20. Kurtis Kraft

Kurtis Kraft
    from SoCal

IMG_30144.jpg

I do have more, I am looking for a good home for them. Please contact me if you are interested.

21. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Thank you Kurtis Kraft for posting. What else do you have? If my memory erves me correct arent you a relative of one of the early customizers? I think you mentioned that a long time ago.

22. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Kurtis Kraft's pics just blow me away, Thank you

23. Rikster

Rikster

Amazing photos Kurtis Kraft.

The 41 Mercury with Lincoln rear fenders roadster is amazing. I wonder if it was ever finished. I sure hope so it has fantastic lines.

The photo at the Comton Ave. Barris shop with the Jesse Lopez Ford and Sam Barris Merc is so good. The car on the right looks to be a 1935 Terraplane custom!!!! Never ever seen anything like it. This must be somewhere in 1948? Do you have any dates or info on these photos, or do you just have the photos.

I will drool a bit more for some time now... I can always clean my keyboard later.

24. Wellsville

Wellsville
    from Sweden

Wow,, "Kurtis Kraft" first I must say THANK YOU !! for showing theese wonderful pictures,,and secondly,, If you are looking for a GOOD home for theese,, I and surely most people here on would say that,,,
    ,,,,, THE BEST careholder of them would be Rikster aka Rik Hoving :)

,,now please tempt us with more pics !! PLEASE ! ha ha !! ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  25. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Habba habba....drool... Do you know who took these photos?

26. chrisman

chrisman

Love that photo!!!

I'm with Wellsville, Rikster is the best source for custom car photos out there so he should be the one.

27. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

So..it seems like all of these photos were taken on the same day. Are these photos taken while they were building the Compton shop? Some of the cars are parked on a construction site, with at least one uncompleted building. I can't remember reading anything about the brothers building a new shop, just that they moved in to a bigger and better facility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 53chevy

53chevy

Thank You Kurtis Kraft! This photo is Golden. I prefer these type of photos in some ways, it gives a different persepctive and proof, Customs are it! Anymore?

Ken

29. Kurtis Kraft , these pics are stunning and just made my day !!! The one with Jesse Lopez' car sitting in the street is one of the best pics I have seen of that car.It's raw and not staged and that is HEAVY,the stance is just perfect,it reminds me of my other love .....ChrisCraft boats.All your pictures are top notch, thank you.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  30. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Kurtis Kraft great pic's Thank you.If you have more?Please post!