Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1955 Chevy Gasser ... White Lightnin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Searcher, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Jeez...what a terrific thread! I've really enjoyed following this and the photos. The pics of the two "kids" (makes me feel old!) wrenching on the engine at San Fernando '67 looks like a shot out of Two Lane Blacktop. How cool is the HAMB!!!

As an aside, there was a White Lightning 55 that roamed San Diego streets-especially 2nd street cruise in ElCajon, in the mid 70's. A white business coupe with "White Lightning" lettered in blue or black (IIRC on the quarters). I seem to recall it ran Cragars, but I don't recall it having a straight axle setup??? So it must have been a different car? Don't know what it was running, but heard it was quick. Always dug the car (I had a 55 sedan at the time too) and wondered what happened to it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. strawberry

strawberry

amazing story and what a great place to find lost friends from the car hobby ,
    you gotta love this stuff, great pictures !

3. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

great story,, was a nice 55 love the old days of racing, 4 speeds, 10,000 grand zingers..........

4. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Great story and pictures.

jp

5. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Great story. I remember Dave at Walker Muffler and I still talk to Dave Christie. He is in the engine shop for Hendrick Racing.

6. that's a nice 55!

7. reichart90

reichart90

anything new on this '55? It sure would be neat if it surfaced.

8. Searcher

Searcher

Nothing new, but still hopefull.

It had enough special features ( lexan windows, etc. ) that it would be pretty easy to ID.

9. Very cool history of this 55. Thanks for sharing the pics and the stories! Cant get enough of those old 55 gassers.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

We had a purple 55 here in 1968 with a straight axle.
    I remember that it didnt turn to the left properly and he had to back and cut a couple of times to cruise thru the Kokomo Drive in.
    Many years later I asked him what happened to the car and he said he sold it to a guy in the service who took it out west somewhere and was killed when it didnt turn left enough on a mountain road.

My 39 Ford was the same when I got it...wouldnt turn sharp to the left but it was a simple adjustment to the draglink.

11. Searcher

Searcher

Heres a pic of the nice dash Fogger built in the White Lightnin. Also with lots of features that would make the 55 identifiable.

And an old time slip from a pass at Lions that was probably made with the 427.....Fogger ?
    These are from Foggers scrap book.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

benchseat4speed likes this.
  12. My kind of thread! Great story. Fogger, nice build, on BOTH cars. Love the deuce too!

13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

You can see the photographer's foot! Lying down to get the low angle.

14. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Love the 55. Hope you guys find it.

15. out damn standing,

16. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

It's not JUST how cool as hell the story is on the car, or how old friends signed up and came in for one post after their ears started burning, but the fact that the car in question is so damn nice just raps it up. Top it off with a little internet magic of putting people together in seconds even with decades of distance and you got yourself "The HAMB".

17. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

That Is One BadAss 55!!!
    Fogger: The Edelbrock Crossram you ran on the smallblock, was it a STR10?

18. Searcher

Searcher

A lifelong friendship forged around Drag Racing, and other misc. BS :D .
    [​IMG]
    Same two guy more recently ( 40+ years more ) at a March meet, in front of another lifelong friends dragster ( Scott racing )
    [​IMG]

19. Jimv

Jimv

what a great story
    JimV

20. mtrhead

mtrhead

like it's been said.. WOW!! what a great story..hope someone finds it.

21. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

This is by far one of THE koolest things I have ever read!!! Any new updates?

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

KILLER! Thanks TONS. Very cool. Slim

23. Fascinating...

24. Searcher

Searcher

Nothing new so far......
    I'll have to get together with Fogger again and get some more pic's....he has an album full of photos on the 55.

This car turning up could happen...lot's of stuff out there in back yards and garages...

25. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WOW ..... this search & story is SUPER ...... I read it twice. Kick Ass .... hope the car turns up - that would be a ending to read about!

I've been searching for my Dad's '34 Ford chopped top p/u for the last couple years without success but have not given up .....

PACO

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice thread, thanks for shareing. Best thing on this rainy sat. in ca.

27. Fogger, I remember White Lightning well..... In the early spring of 1967, I got the bug to make my 1955 Chevy "150" into a gasser. I'm not sure why, but I ended up in your shop on Rowena Ave. I was buying my parts from Glendale Speed Center so they may have recommended your shop, I don't remember after all these years. I also talked to Blairs In Pasadena but I had a bad experience with them on a set of F.I. heads so I chose to have someone in your shop do the work on my 55. I don't remember who that person was and you stated that you were doing paint so it was not you.

Any way, your car was inside the shop the day I dropped by. I instantly liked the stance and said that I wanted to have my car look the same. They added the straight axel, flipped the rear springs to the top of the housing and added traction bars. I was quite happy with the work even though it sat a little higher than I anticipated.

I worked at Acme Rents of Hollywood and several weeks later a guy came in and told me to get over to your shop right away with the car. Upon arival, I was told that the wrong tubing was used to make the axel. He showed me the 4130 he should have used, and said that I should be really careful driving home so the axel would not break. Everything turned out fine after he replaced the axel.

I would also like to find my old 55. I owned this car 3 times. I lived on Canada Blvd. And people were always coming up to my door wanting to buy my cars. I would often throw out a wild price and sometimes they would agree to it. (usually rich kids from La Canada) Then they would break or crash them and their parents would ask me to come and remove the cars for them.

BTW I am a Road King member and I remember your 32 at our show last year. I think that is Larry Tadlocks 34 next to you in the picture you posted.

Thanks for the memories hope you enjoy the pictures of my 55 from May 1967..............Clay

28. The pictures did not load. Hopefully I got it on this one.

Attached Files:

29. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

. I was quite happy with the work even though it sat a little higher than I anticipated.

Na, thats Just Right !

30. stromberg

stromberg

So Great!!! Hope the 55 is found again.