Register now to get rid of these ads!

kirker urethane single stage. Anybody use it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Aug 2, 2009.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Im getting ready to spray my ford galaxie and since im gonna sell it and get started on my Merc i figure i will go with something less expensive than the major brands. Has anyone used Kirker single stage? Its gonna be Wimbleton white sort of an eggshell white.Thanks Mike

2. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

junk .unless you plan on clear coating it ..

3. I used it with no clear and had excellent results, did not own the car long enough to give any testimonial on how it holds up. If you plan on spraying a single stage metallic you really need to get it sprayed well because you CANNOT wetsand it.I also have a few other tricks to make the final coats lay out nice. Good luck and for the price i say it can't be beat.

Attached Files:

4. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Good results here with no clear coat; smart shoppers runs a killer price on it. Use GOOD breathing apparatus when spraying, even when mixing, and /or painting outside....that stuff is brutal on the bod, one good whiff and u will be sickern' a dawg....good luck

gaspumpchas

Serving all of your Eco air meter needs since 1992:D

5. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Hey Pete, Would you like to share your tips?

6. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I plan on using it, too. I've been doing lots of reading about it and read someone mention that they though the color coat came out so smooth and glossy they were considered about the clear coat's adhesion. But this is second-hand information so take it as such. I've also heard that they have an excellent black. A Google brings up alot of guys praising they stuff. For the price you can't even get the "major" brands bargain basement lines. I've also seen that they've been around for over 100 years, so the must be doing something right.

Regardless I think I'll likely go with the black BC/CC kit with the 2K primer and all the other odds and ends on my Galaxie. Considering they don't have a urethane single stage kit (only enamel), I'll use BC/CC (plus the car sees LOTS of driving and until I get a collapsable car port it sits uncovered in the driveway). I doubt the 1 sprayable gallon of paint will take care of the whole car, so I'm going to buy a second (they come in 3/4 gallons and the mix in a quart or reducer). That was a suggestion made by them when I told them it'll be a complete (exterior, jambs, trunk, and underhood.

They also said the EC100 clear that comes with it is for basic insurance-type body shop deals, and that they would allow me to upgrade to the EC300 clear (it's not even that much more). I've heard that its very tough to get it to run and that it buffs out really nice, people really seem to like it. The kit comes with high-build primer/sealer. I'm not sure what'll go under the 2K primer, I have several bare metal spots that the guy helping me said to just shoot rattle can etch primer over for the time being because it'll sand off easy (he's is fantastic at this stuff and has several long-lasted beautiful paint jobs, and a couple of magazine spreads with his Crown Vic). I don't know what will ultimatley go under the 2K primer, but he doesn't like epoxy at all (and didn't pussyfoot around saying it), so I'm not going to argue with him about it, just do what he says as I trust his methods. If he ends up wanting to put a good etch primer over the bare metal spots after the rattle can is sanded off, I dunno what I'll use. Kirker doesn't make a straight etching primer, but they make an etching reducer that is to be mixed with a zinc primer to make etching. Problem is no one seems to deal both items.

Their customer service was great. I called 'em up, they answered immediately. The guy on the other end was super friendly and knowlegable, and didn't try to sell me the highest price anything. I'm definitely using their products.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Kirker products are pretty good bang for the buck, but if the end game is to peddle this and get on to another project why fool with urethane?
    An alkyd in the Wimbleton White with a hardner will work well and save ya some money. I wouldn't clear coat a white even if I were going with a urethane.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"