Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1955 Chevy Gasser ... White Lightnin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Searcher, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Searcher

Searcher

This picture was taken at Lions around 1966.

A good friend who owned it back then was curious if anybody knows what might have happened to it in the San Fernando Valley area ?

It was sold without it's 396 & Hilborn injection.

Had a straight axel with parallel leafs, Lexan side glass, Muncie 4 speed with Olds rear end. Aluminum door pannels, fiberglass hood.

He said the rear wheel arches were done very well...clean cut outs with a rolled edge. The body was real clean too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    benchseat4speed likes this.
  2. Fogger

Fogger

Hello Searcher, I built the WHITE LIGHTNIN' '55 from a $125.00 East L.A. wrecking yard find in 1964. I cut the wheel wells with a saber saw and brazed copper tubing on the outside the flare was bondo. I sprayed it, and many of my friends cars, in my Dad's garage with white lacquer, which is when I was given the name FOGGER. An old friend, Jim Spencer cut out a stencil for White and freehand painted all the other lettering. Not high tech but I was 20 at the time. '57 Olds rear axle with springs relocated under the frame and different gear sets with a home made spool depending on the motor. Always a 4-speed, and ran 11:21 at Carlsbad during a big bucks bracket race in '66, which I won. At the time the 327 motor belonged to Dave Christie and had a Chet Herbert #50 roller and Mondello heads with a Edelbrock crossram and afb's. Ran the car at the '67 Winter Nationals at Pomona with a friends 427 big block with hilborns and a vertex. Trans broke on first run of B/Gas eliminations. It had run 10:80 @ 129 mph at Lions. I sold the car after the Winter Nationals and have often wondered what happened to it as I don't recall the buyers name. The front axle, when I owned it, had a transverse spring with willy's spindles and gutted brakes. The front frame and axle were built by Fletcher and Brown Race Cars in Lakewood, Ca. I had a great time building the car with an old friend, Vince D'Arco, and our names were on the rear quarters when I owned it. If any of you Hamber's know of it's whereabouts I'd like to know. Quite a suprise to see the old gasser on the HAMB. The FOGGER

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Too cool story and great response time!!!

Fogger, if you have any more pics, I would love to throw them up on my tri-five gassers fotki site...

Nice ride!

4. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Wow.. dare I say I love this site?... I hope this car is still around somewhere! BAD RIDE!
    -Anthony

5. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Unbelievable! You locate the builder in less than 2 hrs.!Fogger,awesome car,I also would like to see more pics if you have any.

6. Fogger

Fogger

I'll have to get a scanner as I have many pictures of the car during the build. It was originally a yellow body with a white roof 6 cylinder and 3 speed. I'll try to post soon. The FOGGER

7. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Great build for a 20 year old!

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

I can't wait to see and here more.....

9. Wow...what a small world......cool history. I'm looking forward to seeing more pic's...thanks!

10. Searcher

Searcher

My friend isn't PC friendly...So I have to get info from him via phone.
    He said he thought it said Glendale Speed center on the rear quarter pannels when he got it ?
    He also wasn't positive about the parallel leafs. The front grill was aluminum. And no front brakes.

He can't remember who he sold it to, but he did have it in the summer of 67, and thought he bought it at a shop down towards L.A. He said he had it about 2 years.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  11. Hey Fogger,
    That was a nice build for a "punk 20 year old:D!!!!!"
    Its good to see early hot rodders on here.
    Signed,
    Another ol fart:rolleyes:....and loving it
    Skot

12. Fogger

Fogger

I don't remember your friends name but there were about eight of us drag racers who rented a garage on Rowena Ave near Silver Lake. Glendale Speed Center was in no way involved with my old car but did sponsor the Malfunction Chevy II owned by Richard Scott who was one of my co-renters at the garage. After the '67 Winter Nationals I sold the body and the engine owner, Rollie Lamper, sold the 427 engine and trans to the same buyer. The engine was originally a 396 that M&R had bored. I was sponsored by M&R Machine on Temple St in L.A. and their name was on the trunk. When I used a steel hood I had Model A latches on the front corners, the clips can be seen in your picture, but when I added the glass one I made angle brackets that attached to the cowl and hood pins on the radiator cross brace. Brings back good times at the old strips. The FOGGER

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  13. Searcher

Searcher

Thanks for the info, Fogger. He's going to make some calls to see who he might have sold it to.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  14. Searcher

Searcher

Anybody remember this Chevy gasser ? or have any more pic's of it ?

Happy New Year

15. cool story, can't wait for more info...

16. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Fogger: A guy who is restoring an old Pro/Stock Mopar I worked on in 1973 sent me this link. Imagine my suprise when I opened it. I completely forget about you using my engine that time at Carlsbad. We were having the time of our lives at that garage on Rowena Ave and never knew it. I would go back to 1965 in an instant if I could live it over again!!!!!!! dchristie.

17. Herdez

Herdez

Nice! Like the history more photos!!

18. Searcher

Searcher

More pic's in the works :)

19. Fellas, this is good stuff, to remember the ole' days and catch up with your friends who made your memories is priceless. My good friend of 50 years and I still talk of cruising in his 55' Nomad, he was 16 and I was 14, the car was red lacquer, white roof, 327, 4-speed, chrome reverse wheels, 65 Impala black buckets and no front bumber, big front springs, it was 1968 and it seems like yesterday. Hey the white lightning 55' looked awesome. Thanks for reading. I really need to put some time in on my 55' but this HAMB Jive is addicting.

20. Searcher

Searcher

More White Lightnin pics. These were taken at San Fernando Drag strip...1967

These two guys are close friends to this day and still going to the drags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  21. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

22. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

That is what I am talking about! Cool double nickel.

23. biscaynes

biscaynes

cool!!! love the '67 engine shots!!!

24. My heart be still...

Sam

25. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I've been hearing about this thread and finally found it! I love those engine shots! Who said stock steel rocker arms are junk? This car went fast without those high dollar roller rockers. Y'all's kinda making me miss my orange car.

26. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

anyone know what material they used for the grill?

[​IMG]

27. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

Great story...gotta love this site and the fact that it brings owners and past owners together.

28. 11.00 and an injected big block, very cool. Single master cylinder is kinda scary. I guess some things are better these days. Beautiful car!

29. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Any updates on this cool car and great stories?