Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 Anglia 2 Door worth picking up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrDano, Mar 29, 2004.

1. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

I may have the possibility of buying a '59 Anglia 2 door. I was wondering if anyone has seen this body style turned into anything cool? At first glance I see a gasser possibly, but I have seen one of these little ass cars chopped into a sled. Anyone have any photos of one of these turned into a neat hot rod? I know this doesnt really fall into the realm of traditional rodding on the American standard, but maybe the UK guys may have some ideas of what to do with one of these?

Here are some photos I found out on the net, not of the actual car:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Found one of those only it was the panel/sedan delivery in a wrecking yard in 1964. No engine/trans. My intention was to turn it into a gasser. You know, 283, Hilborn, BW 4spd, Olds/Pontiac rear. There were only a few obstacles in the way. TIME TALENT MONEY the only thing I wasn't short on was the dream. If I were to find another one it would go on the street with pretty much the same combo (exception would be a 9" rear) but be capable of being run at the strip. I know, dual purpose cars rarely do either assigned role really well. I made a promise to myself years ago. I won't waste my time building a car if I can't hang a license plate on it and at least drive it to the 7/11 for a cold drink.
    Oh yea, to answer your question. By all means pick it up.

Frank

3. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Frank,

You have some very valid points there about having a car that can be driven at least on the street. I by no means want a trailer queen gasser that can only be opened up at the strip a few times a year. I almost wonder if just lowering the car a few inches, swapping in a small V8 and doing up some paint would make a car like this more feasible as a driver rather than a show/race piece. Thanks for your comment.

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Stuff a turbocharged 2.3 from a late 80s Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, along with a T-5 trans, then go hunting for mullets in Camaros.....

5. long island vic

long island vic

i had a 59 wagon 4in hop 482 injected bbc 14 point cage go for it

6. Are they a Unibody ?

7. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

*screeech* Hmm...I have no clue. Would '59 be a bit early for unibody construction on a car like this? Very good point though.

8. williebill

williebill

Is that a FLAT windshield? Cross your eyes and squint a little,and picture that roof line kinda like a shoebox Ford...OK,squint a little more...Stock,this is the kind of car I would stand on top of in the junkyard to get a better view,but cut it up,and it would look good

9. Ill bet it IS unibody- but that wont stop it from being a candidate!I like em.....only one thing-If it gets very FAST- it takes some steady nerves to keep her straight!

10. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Mayhaps something chopped more like this?:

[​IMG]

My shoebox has a 9" windshield with the chop it has, I have a feeling a little car like this would for sure give new meaning to "mail slots".

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Unkl, I am not sure, but I think not.
    I beleve that the Falcon was the first Unibody Ford in America, and the Anglia that came after this one was the first one in England.

12. I based the thought of it as a Unibody on my experience with the earlier Anglias..they had a thin"frame" but it was welded to the car quite a lot..like a 47 Lincoln is also built.so which would it be?I don't know for sure but its probably different for sure!also getting a suspension and an adequate rear axle to fit under em [with TIRES] is a fun deal!

13. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

It is a unit body. I had one in the late 60's, also a 59. It has a funky strut front suspension, looks like an I beam cut in half. not much room under the hood without some cutting. A buddy had a 59 two door gasser many years ago, tube frame, and a SBC, ran BBgas.

14. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

How easy would it be to lower the front suspension? The car sits about as high as the white stock one in the picture above.

15. I think what we are saying is -Yes its a cool project car-BUT it is a real PROJECT....as in a total redo of the chassis and possibly the FLOOR AND CHASSIS....that is unless you leave it stock drivetrain.I suppose it could have a small newer four or narrow V-6 without too much in the way of change....Or COULD IT?Probably Not. [​IMG]

16. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I had a wagon that sat on a full frame. I had to junk it when I moved to PA. I still have a door, hood and misc pieces if you would happen to buy it.

17. [ QUOTE ]
    Unkl, I am not sure, but I think not.
    I beleve that the Falcon was the first Unibody Ford in America, and the Anglia that came after this one was the first one in England.

[/ QUOTE ] Every single Mopar car since '57 has been unibody. Nash's were also way before the Falcon.

18. Rocket88

Rocket88

A buddy of mine has a couple of those as well as a Thames panel.
    They are a unibody with a real funky strut set up and shitty brakes.
    He put a 2800 Capri V6 in one years ago, it went like stink but didn't stop worth a crap. [​IMG]

19. studeboy

studeboy

Hey 51, check this out I think it would look neat as a gasser. It would also be different from the norm. I just photochopped some wheels from the gasser post on your pic and tadah instant gasser.

Attached Files:

20. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

I've seen pics of that car made into a Gasser but I can't remember where.

21. My brother's building this '59. Since they kicked his ass off the strip for not meeting minimum wheelbase requirements with his 86 inch Morris Minor, he started whippin this Anglia together. All chrome moly frame with a 9 inch rear and a straight axle. He was running 10.30's with the Morris using an Opel independent front and an 8.75" mopar rear. He says he thinks the weight savings will get him into the 9's....

Attached Files:

22. He found his sitting and dragged it out to our own "Lockjaw"'s place in Southern Oregon. This is what it looked like before he and Lockjaw started on it...

Attached Files:

23. Since he sent me these photos, he's got the front sheetmetal back on it and it looks pretty snarky, for an Anglia...here's a little better photo of it...

Attached Files:

24. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Hey! Look at all the fun those people in the picture are having - just standing next to that car. You will be that cool guy sitting in the car.

I hope that I might know that kind of joy, someday...

25. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Do you have any pics of the Morris. We just sold ours today.

26. v8minor

v8minor

Rockey your bro,s a ferkin hero!!!! I loved his minor .. the old fords make nice cars..guys over here update them with newer ford struts, and brakes.

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Built my old Datsun along the lines of the one Studeboy posted and had an absolute ball with it! I'd love to have that car myself. Easy buildup using cheap, common parts would result in a stable and fast ride. MAJOR giggles on the road!
    Frame it, Lift it, cage it...DRIVE IT! You won't be sorry.

Bill

28. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

That would make a killer gasser!! Rocky.....SNARKY????????? Show us a pic with sheetmetal!!

29. 34...All I have of the car with the front end is video..sorry. I'll post a photo if my brother send me one and tratrod, here's the Morris...406, 'glide with transbrake

Attached Files:

30. 'nother

Attached Files: