Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car sheet metal gauge question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Amoros, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Amoros

Amoros

What gauge sheet metal do you use. Where do you buY it from?
    Do you find that the gauge sheet metal varies a lot accross car years, or even car manufacturers?
    The local steel place around here sells 18 gauge. Thats the thinest that they sell.

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

18 gauge is fine for most American 1950s-1960s cars. I don't know about '30s-'40s cars. You would not want to go thinner. I've used 20-gauge (thinner) for small areas but that was for convenience. All my patch panels and such are 18-gauge.

3. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

thats usually it, unless you want something a little more pliable for complex shapes and such.

4. 18 ga works fine, and there are various types you can get (depends on your supplier) AK steel (aluminum killed) is easier to shape, cold rolled is nice and clean, pickled and oiled is also nice and clean to work with. Just depends on how much shaping you want to do. There's lots of good sheet metal books out to help you from the start to more advanced projects.

5. Amoros

Amoros

Oh wow, didnt realize there was didn't type of sheet metal so if I wat to make a roof or trunk liswhat sheet metal do I use. Guessing the stuff around here is cold rolled steel.

6. 5window

5window

I think a lot of Model A stuff was 19 gauge. Would not swear to it, though. It sure was good steel though.

7. Chris F100

Chris F100

18 guage is what i've used - my local auto body supply house sells a 2x3 sheet for $27.....

8. squirrel

squirrel

I measured the metal on a few old cars, floors and inner structures tend to be around 18 gage, outer panels are more like 21 gage.

9. 16 ga. on the bed, most likely 19 ga. everywhere else.

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

on the old fomoco stuff its 19ga. on 50 chevy i noticed it to be thinner probably at least 20ga