Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Aug 29, 2012.

1. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

anyone else counting the days till the best swapmeet of the year? 34 days to go!

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'll be there. October can't come soon enough

3. noboD

noboD

YUP!! I'm in, gave up my flea market space for a car corral space.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't missed one since 1980 and I don't intend to miss this one, either! ;)

5. Consider yourselves lucky, I'm counting the days to the small town crappy one in my home town.......

Portland swap in April can't come soon enough

6. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I'm definitely in.

7. 41 C28

41 C28

I've looked forward to Oct. and Hershey every year since the first time I went back in 1973.

8. GaryC.

GaryC.

I'll be there. Looking for a better grill shell for my '29.

Wear some H.A.M.B. I.D.! Would love to say hello!

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some day I'll make the trek. Until then, it's Portland for me.

10. sawzall

sawzall

34 days.. time to start skipping lunch again!!
    CAN NOT WAIT..
    skidmarks, you have a space somewhere this year?

11. 56Chevykid

56Chevykid

Im coming all the way from New Zealand for Hershey and Carlisile swap meets, and im counting them days and hours down for it :)

12. wallyringo

wallyringo

share the news please? does it have allot of Mopar stuff? Pomona swapmeet near me dosent, just Mustang, VW, early Chevy, and Impala parts.

13. F&J

F&J

I went every year from 71 to 91, Wednesday afternoon till Sat noon each time.

i'd bet it is not the same. I have read many threads here that say they saw it all in one day. ....How?...By airplane? ...or is it that because it is just a big parking lot now, with very few active swap spaces?

There is no possible way anyone could walk the whole swap (then over 9000 spaces) in 2 days, when I stopped going, unless you just look down the start of each row, instead of walking each row.

14. F&J

F&J

I don't know if you went when it was a small single field, not even full, over by the row of houses backyards that sold food out of their garden sheds?

You could take the time to go through fairly fast the first day for bigger things, then take the next two days to go through every cardboard box tucked out of the way....and find so much cool rare stuff for cheap.

I sh-- the first year of the White field on the airstrip side. I said "I'll never see it all"

15. noboD

noboD

Yea, Skidmarks, it's easier. But there an atmoshpere that's lost without the mud. Guys used to use garbage bags for boots. I remember snow at least one year. Lots of fun. More trees came down this summer in a bad wind storm on the show field. Makes room for more cars, but takes away some shade. F&J, do

you remember the year the flea market was on the east side of the nursery, maybe '73ish? After the show the guy that OWNED the field said don't mind you useing it but at least you could have asked.

16. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I sure am brother!! Gonna camp south of town,all I need there is some electric and a hot shower.Got my new sneakers working in.Someone start a space listing of hamb members please.
    I have eagle eye thunderbirdesq with me so I,ll have to be on my game .

Swapmeet Christmas!!!

17. F&J

F&J

I was there every year from 71 to 91, but I don't recall the nursery field?

From 30-40 year memory; the old original field later outgrew, and as i recall, some of it got taken over by the Hershey amusement park, so they went to two fields; the Red and Blue fields. I think the old field was the red.

Back then, the real early show cars were inside the stadium, and stuff 20s and up, was on the grass outside on Saturday showday.

Then they went to 3 fields with going with the white field across the road at the airstrip. Sheesh that was some long rows.

Then came the chocalate or was it the green?

The original field kept getting cut smaller and later closed. That place was bad when the monsoon rains came one year, the lower part got flooded by 3 feet of water. I have a picure of the completely empty lower field, except for one lone pickup camper on it's jacks, in 2 feet of water.

Speaking of the single field days: Up on the hill, there was the old guy who always brought early western bodies and fenders from mid america, and flew a huge banner saying "Keller" "Kellner" or whatever his name was. He brought good stuff, and wanted to get noticed.

Ha, I do remember the year they had tornado warnings, not watches, on show day. The show field was 2/3 rds empty, and this monster fresh resto Duesenberg was there trying for a Hershey Senior Certification, and sat out in the full classics row all by itself. He wanted that award bad :D

You can see some great pics taken from an airplane, of the entire area, for each year, on the AACA website someplace.

18. noboD

noboD

The nursery was across the road that leads to the Parkside where Red Robin is now. It was owned by Herco. The field I speak of was east of it where the outlet mall is. Flea market was only there one or maybe two years. I think it was before the white field. I think the field you are talking about flooding so bad was where the park maintanance building and park is now.

19. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I will be there this year for the first time...spaces C3C 23-24-25...hambers stop and say HI...as always...goodies....stan

20. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Starting to drag treasure out of the barn for my spaces.

Red field RCL 28-29. Stop by and rest a while. Leave your stuff if you need to.

21. F&J

F&J

pic from 1965. before my time. I do recall the show cars on that grass where the baseball diamond was.

But my first year in 71, I think the swap was spread over to the left, and also along the left side of the grass/baseball area.

[​IMG]

22. F&J

F&J

last one; from 1990. How can you do all those spaces in one day? You can tell it was taken on Saturday, because the showcars are there.

[​IMG]

23. Good Lord! That is humongous! I had heard it was big but I never imagined it was that big. I like to go to Autofair in Charlotte and thought Hershey was about the same. Now I have to change my bucket list...

24. noboD

noboD

In your 1990 photo I live in the far right top corner.

25. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I live in Houston, TX and have never been to the Hershey swap meet. How hard is it to get spaces out there! I've been told before that there is a waiting list. Is that true? I wouldn't mind making the trek out there if i knew there was a hope of getting in.

26. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I knew they were fairly strict on the regulations, but I didn't know you had to be an AACA member. At least there is a hope of getting in.

27. F&J

F&J

I never knew about the swap until I wrecked the driver rear fender on my 30 DeSoto roadster hotrod in 71. The rear broke loose and slid back, ruined the fender.

A local Model A guy I knew said "you need to go to Hershey" whats that? :)

I.., no shit, found a driver side NOS in mint orig paint, for $50

Bad thing was that on that Saturday when the showcars came out, I was hooked on restoring the car back to stock ..

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Good grief, that is huge! Swap Meet Mecca.

29. F&J

F&J

You forgot to ask how much it costs to get in to buy, or look...

I don't think it's changed, but it was free when I was there last.

30. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I didn't forget. I got intimidated by its size and thought it would be futile to ask.:p