Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pre-war Alfa Romeo 8C Monza race car....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James D, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ...pulled up alongside me as I was waiting at the traffic lights last night in Stuttgart!:eek:

I´m 99% sure it was this exact car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...because there aren´t exactly loads around. Beautiful car, wonderful patina, and the sound from the straight eight was heaven! Had just enough time to give the driver a big thumbs up before he drove off. Made my evening!

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In plain english, that's a sexy fuckin car. I've seen 1/2 dozen different ones over the years and can't tell which models are which. No matter, I love em and thanks for the pics.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Really like the boat tail and those bobbed rear fenders. I bet that was the best time you had at a pit stop in a long time! Gary

4. Weasel

Weasel

Aaargh - simply glorious!

5. boldventure

boldventure

A pretty rare car to be sure. This one stopped in Carmel last year on the "tour".
    The second one is a sketch I did from a photo a couple of years ago.

Attached Files:

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the noise of that blown 8 is unreal. standing at the hairpin at the bottom of the hill at Sears point, never going to forget it.

another note, is how damned fast that car is. Would be almost 20 years before road cars could out run it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  7. boldventure

boldventure

The engines in the Alfa from that ear are works of art, a real tribute to the designers and the pattern makers, the casting themselves are fantastic.

Attached Files:

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! That's rad!

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Pur Sang sells 'em new...... looking just like that....honest

They are doing a 2.9 as we speak

10. boldventure

boldventure

Do tell...got a link or a clue for more...?

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In Miami mid to late 1950's owned and raced SCCA, by a guy that had a Photo camra shop downtown, a Alfa Romeo race car that looked a lot like one of these,but front fenders were short/no spair and windshields were just two small loops. Was always a fus made about it being classic,as a kid I should of paid more to it,but then just a older design car to me.;)

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have some Main Bearing sets but you gottawatch the size of what you post

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

15. boldventure

boldventure

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, sorry. I hate it when people post ginormous pictures like that too. I didn't realize how big they were going to be. Took out the embedded code and just made them links. :eek:

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

ThankX

I figured you didn't notice......... Somehow I'm lucky abd all my photos are small........

I have the Volpi Alfa race car 6C2300 need an engine and trans for it.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, seems like that always happens with ImageShack photos. Strange. Photobucket hosted photos resize automatically. Like that better.

Have pics of the 6C2300? Sounds neat!

19. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I remember reading an article about the "Appenine 3.9" replica. Unable to find a straight 8 Alfa motor, the builder made his own out of 2 4 cylinder Afla engines. Here's a couple of pix and the article I found of it.

http://home.exetel.com.au/seasalt/Appenine.html

Attached Files:

20. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

And you can paint 'em other colors besides red.

Attached Files:

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

In 2002 Mille Miglia I drove along the way back from Rome with a black one small turtle painted on it. It was no match for the 328 but then nott much was

Here's the Volpi Sorry the photos are dark

This car was raced into the early 50's and much modified

Attached Files:

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!!! Very cool!! I would love to know more about the details of the rear suspension if you have any references to share or other pictures, at some point. Looks way ahead of it's time...

23. Bluto ... you drove a black Alfa 8C Monza in the 2002 Mille Miglia? ... perhaps you should change your H.A.M.B. name to Il Duce ;) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree with Scooter ... an amazing chassis! ... any better pics of the Volpi?

24. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

Good ol' times when Alfa Romeo was still making cool as hell cars, then came the fiat... :(
    This kind of old race cars are pretty rare items also here in Italy, lots of money, if you want to see some nice pics you can google for "concorso di eleganza villa d'este" and you can look for some million euros cars like some isotta fraschini or stuff like that, maybe nothing to buy or build, but maybe some nice ideas for boat tailed roadsters!

25. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Cars from this period were true works of art and engineering combined.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's a pretty neat looking chassis there, got any more information or old photos of the car?

27. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Alfa's are cool!

I run a Alfa Rameo 4 banger and gear box in my '27 roadster as seen in my avatar.

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hemiroid 32 :D

The black car with a turtle painted on it was Nuvolari's

I didn't drive it I drove a 1930's BMW

Volpi built and modified a lot of cars ....... this one raced in So America

Sorry I've no better photos.

He used a Ford center section and made inependent rear suspension

It's been sitting awaiting an engine before I go further. I've many many projects here to keep me more than busy.

I gotta get the wife's Miller done first.

We have a lot of stuff

29. Bluto -

I totally misread your post ... but looking at it again, you were quite clear in stating that you "drove along ... with a black one ..."

I remember reading that Tazio Nuvolari was given a gold turtle medallion after winning a Gran Prix ... something about the fastest Italian should have the slowest animal ... so this would explain the small turtle that you saw painted on the black 8C Monza.

Gotta go ... the drug store closes in a few minutes ... and I'm all out of Preparation H® :eek: ... :D

Ciao,
    HEMI32

EDIT: Google is my friend! ...

[​IMG]

Nuvolari's name was frequently seen on the front page. He found himself invited by many of the "Greats" of the time. The poet Gabriele D'Annunzio received him at The Vittoriale degli Italiani, where Nuvolari was given a little golden turtle bearing the dedication: "To the fastest man in the world, the slowest animal". Tazio considered this little piece as a good luck charm, and also a symbol. He had it embroidered on the yellow jersey which he wore to race in, printed on his stationery and painted on the side of the personal airplane that he acquired some years later. He had also some copies made which - just as the poet had done - he gave to friends, those dear to him and also those who could be important.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  30. those are great cars but they get repopped. A company in argentinia makes them one to one to the original. They also do buggatis and as long you are not a hc bugatti guy you want see the diffrence between the fake replica and the original