Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Dog427435

Dog427435

Northern 300 at Trenton Speedway

2. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

That is Russ Urlin from London Ontario. He was in a Jr. Hanely Camero.

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Four more photos from Wayne Doebling, taken at the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville. I owe Wayne a special thanks for this one. The No. 37 going away from the camera is the guy who was my best friend in the 60s and early 70s, Dick Winburn. We lost him in a semi crash near Cincinnati in the 70s. He looked so young when I met him that my brother and I called him "Babyface." He put it on the rear of the car...

[​IMG]

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Richie Bisig, one of the three best Figure 8 drivers I've ever seen, and I couldn't begin to pick between them. The other two were Andy Vertrees and Kenny St. John...

[​IMG]

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I don't have any idea who this is. CRS, I suppose. Maybe Allstar or twistedmetal can help...

[​IMG]

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another one I'll admit to not recognizing. Allstar? Twisted?

[​IMG]

7. allstarracing

allstarracing

I dont' know who the driver is but I think this is the old Hank Hartlage Torino. Allstarracing

8. Dennis O

Dennis O

I think that Leonard Blanchard told me that the Red car with the four guys sitting on it is his car. For all I know one of those guys is Leonard.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

He's right. Leonard is second from the right, and that's his car sponsored by Fairgrounds Liquors. The photo has to be from the early 60s.

10. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

John, great pix! sorry i can't help with the drivers identities, the 98 looks like an amateur driver in almost a street legal car, found a whole stack of these type photos at the drome from the late 70's & didn't recognize hardly any of them, guys that probably only raced a few times, although a Frank Kimmel photo was among them, a guy who raced "a little more" than a few times. The #51 is Bobby Dunn, I got that pix from his nephew Bill Dunn who raced a few times at the drome this year, I'll see if I can find a pix of Bisig. The Dunns are connected w/Bisig somehow.

11. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Gregg. I didn't bother to look at the top of the car, just noticed the number and went with it. Thanks for the photo of Richie. It goes in our file.

Check your e-mail.

13. Dennis O

Dennis O

I think the car leading this trophy dash is the same Fairgrounds Liquors car of Leonard Blanchard from a few posts up.....
    [​IMG]

14. allstarracing

allstarracing

The Dunns owned a junkyard at what was called the point on Ohio street just off River Road. I think it was owned by the father and when he died the brothers got it. At the time Ohio street was gravel and dirt. There were several junkyards along it. Melvin Wheeler had one there at one time.

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Growing up in the east end, I was very familiar with the Point. It could be a rough neighborhood if they didn't like you. Never had any problems myself.

Richie Bisig's long-time sponsor was one of those junkyards, owned by Bob Collett. I think I got the last name right. But the slogan was "Don't be robbed, see Bob."

Andy Hampton was another from that area.

Anybody else here familiar with the Dew Drop Inn at Mellwood & Story?

16. Dennis O

Dennis O

When I last was working downtown, I think several of the junkyards along Ohio Street were still operating. I remember Bob Collett's place. If I remember correctly he had a transmission mounted up on his sign out front. Seems there were a bunch of junk yards on Thruston Street down River Road a bit further.

The "Dew Drop Inn".....wow that was a rocking little place some years ago. I seem to remember the police visiting there more than a time or two....

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah, Dennis. You had to be proficient in close-knuckle drill at times in that place, but it was always a fun night.

That was in my wilder days, before I moved to Salem and met my wife of almost 41 years.

More than once I came home with a fat lip and my parents wanted to know what the other guy looked like. Couple of times I had to acknowledge, "I dunno. I don't remember seeing him around when the police broke this one up."

18. allstarracing

allstarracing

The Dew Drop Inn was where I met my wife in late 1986. The regular entertainment was Eddie Dean. Allstarracing

19. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

Great looking race car, love the bullet birds! I am an avid vintage racing model car builder, and fan. What kind of chassis was under this car? Do you have any more Clem Proctor, Ron Sr. T-Bird photos? Thank you in advance,
    Slim Louis

20. Blu Bro

Blu Bro
    from Dixie

from carters creek tn.

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Good stuff, Blu Bro. Coo-Coo was one of a kind.

22. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

some asked for some bobbie hamilton sr. pics, here are some i got from the petty shop a few years ago:D

23. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

That would be me..... thank you for searching for them and posting them here! Those are great pics!

24. allstarracing

allstarracing

I had a shortened 63 Ford Galexy chassis with a Boss 302 from Vels/Parnelli Jones Racing. Ron Hornaday's had a 63 chassis and a 406 FE block. Clem Proctors had a 57 Ford chassis with a 406 FE block.The 57 to 64 Fords had the same dimensions except the 57/58's had a 2" narrower engine saddle making the headers harder to fit and the Custome 300 chasis had a shorter wheel base. I sold Proctor my 406 when he blew his before Riverside and I bought the Boss for the front weight balance. Allstarracing

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  25. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

Thank you for the information. I will send you pictures of my model car as it nears completion, if you like!

26. Jim Pace

Jim Pace

Photos being used on other site as their work. Must not believe in giving credit

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  27. Falconred

Falconred

At what track were these photos taken?

28. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

Here the car today running vintage races around NC
    [​IMG]

29. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

I got A pic of the Vette somewhere If not I'll ask ol Bubba G AKA Mike Glanz

30. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

Poor Boys Racing, Team Green, Mike Glanz
    here a few of his last cars that he built before he retired

[​IMG]
    Tiny Wyatts
    [​IMG]
    Mike Glanz 48 Mercury Coupe built in 2002 FAST Car
    [​IMG]

Bubba G Last race At Corbin Speedway 2005 The car went to NY[​IMG]
    Jobie Miller 48 Nash The car races in Vintage clubs in NC

[​IMG]
    car was built in 2004
    [​IMG]
    Mike Riggs The car still races at Corbin New owner Clif Partin. car is for sale on Ebay

[​IMG]
    The only car that was not green in Team Green A Bubba BuiltChassis My 52 Mercury Monterey. Still running vintage events