Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass or steel body on a period gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GOATROPER02, Jan 29, 2009.

1. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

It doesnt matter. run what you wanna run.

2. justinbennett

justinbennett

You know i'm going to say steel and we will keep buying every project coupe we can get are hands on

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I think it gets more brittle over time... think 20 year old hot tub thats been sitting in the sun, empty, with no cover. Just my slightly educated guess. You can be pretty sure the formula's changed in the past 40-50 years though.

4. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

And just what difference does it make to anybody but you? Are you just pissed because you put all that work into your car and it looks or rides no better than a 'glass car that cost a fraction of the price/time to build?

Or is it just 'the principal'? :D

5. moparron426

moparron426

WOW must be nice to have unlimited $$$$$$$$$

send some my way and I can have a steel willys too:cool::D

6. BigChief

BigChief

Vintage tin is to fiberglass body

as....

Nice 'mature' rack is to silicone tits

Regardless of what or how they show up any of the above are bound to put a smile on your face.

7. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree..............sumthin like that.

Just think if fiberglass was never invented, no flip top funny cars....................yikes, boats made of wood................maintenance,..............corvettes?

8. Dave Koeffel had a fiberglass front for the original Flintstone Flyer done in 61/62 ish.

I'm sure Ed Roth caught alot of shit "back in the day" for making "tupperware" cars too, huh?;)

BTW, does anyone know of a company that repops Bantam Coupe (30/31) bodies in 'glass? Not hard to see where my allegiance lies, is it?:D

Thanks!
    JK

9. Glass makes a good lookin' car and is waaaaaaay cheaper than steel so I gotta tip my hat to the companies that provide glass bodies.
    As to whether a Brookville or similar steel body is any more "real" than fiberglass......NO it isn't, it is still a repro no matter if it is made of steel or friggin gold for that matter.
    Wp

10. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

race cars = glass......

11. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

A lot of the big names ran fiberglass cars in the 60's.

12. Granted,shall we start a list of classic steel gassers?I don.t beleive they would would have the same cult status if the class had been all glass cars.The mistique is guys took normal old tin and turned them into something bitchin',and pretty quick with it.

13. Larry T

Larry T

I think you got that backwards. The end goal was to be the quickest and baddest in the class. You did whatever it took, if fiberglass was quickest and legal, you ran fiberglass. Looking bitchen and running pretty quick, just got you put on the trailer.

14. bigchuckstud

bigchuckstud

Dont matter just go have fun

15. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the Fiberglass allowed you to place the weight where it would improve the acceleration of the car. The Weight Break per class was the same, so the other advantage was fitting into a particular gas class.

Similarly OEM use of aluminum fenders, fiberglass hoods and aluminum bumpers on AFX or Super Stockers put more wt on the rear axel, and possibly putting them into a lower class as well. ...............I wonder if a Factory Light Weight Car owner feels left out when his 409 Z-11 is out classed by a 283" power glide "real steel" car?????

16. Anyone got a steel funny car body kicking around???

17. The 39 stude I used to own was steel with a glass tilt nose

Attached Files:

18. All glass 57 Pontiac - #2 in fact and perhaps the only two that ever existed.
    #1 hit the guard rail at Famoso while cruising along at who knows and clocked 157 mph when the big pieces went through the traps.
    Total loss.
    [​IMG]

Very high 7's with the car in the pic last I heard.

Low 8's most times.

Aside from all the Internet cyber whining, the only people who pursue this argument in person are steel car owners who are trying to make themselves feel better.

For what, I dunno, but it seems they're the ones with the inferiority complex....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  19. Well I guess those tri-5 Chevys with flip up front ends are "half glassed". And what about the 57' Chevy and Camaro steel repops? Are they not real? How about a Morrison chassised tri-5? Is it not a real Chevy anymore? What about those old wild Customs? Impurity is what drove their styling. And racing, be it vintage or not was never pure. Perfomance rules that world and to be sure if today's bodies and new Gasser chassis had been available they would have used them. The Reno Air Race crowd is going through this deilema right now because of cutting up the precious few warbirds left for racers. We have to decide where we draw our own lines. Some guys are OK with a face lift on their wives but not OK with implants.....Oh, and I respect the fine work of some kit car builders..........and some guys are OK with a rubber doll.

20. brocluno

brocluno

So is the desired build date/period pre 1968, or worse yet, pre 1962? If so, you are stuck with steel. If later to include rat motors and such, glass is fine. You need to give a bit more info?

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's my take on this if anybody cares. First off mine is glass for the reasons already talked about on here. I wish it was steel but when I looked at Gene Cromers willys taken apart the way it was when we took it out of the shed the only part that was not glass was the top, 2 little tiny strips that run down between the rear quarters and deck lid and around to the other side and the door jams. Again I would rather have steel but for those who have seen how I hammer on it the willys gods are probably glad that it is glass. I have included a video of the day we took the Moonlighter out of the shed notice the deck lid is glass and the floor is aluminum and that was the only steel on the car even the rockers were glass and he built it somewhere around 1964.<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S7rizys2TH4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

22. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

Hi Tony:you know our group you run with us at the various meets,our cars are a mixture from the AA'S down, of both body materials do we not have a blast I know it matters not to us the material the body is made of I do believe it will only matter to you and would suggest you settle only for what you really want so as to have no regrets later I know if you build one it will be cool.ps,were a little short on 41's plenty of 33's HA,hA;Dave

23. It only matters to you and it represents the period your are looking for it's perfect!(facsimile) enjoy!

24. Bigfoot21075

Bigfoot21075

I am clearly in the minority here, but I say glass is fine. As long as you are hot rodding or racing you are keeping the hobby alive! Over my many years I have owned both. Both have their place, I am planning on building a 20's like hot rod roadster this year after I sell my '64 Impala Convertible.

I would hate to cut up and modify one of the few remaining examples of a real doorless open model T truck to build my Ralph Malph Chickmobie like Rod. I am gleefully going with glass and somebody else's frame (I can't make my own, I want this to be a year project not 10).

Hell, I might even paint fake rust on it and put set of '57 Lincoln V8 valve covers on my 327 small block Chevy. If it makes me happy, then that is all that matters!

Is it real? Hell yes it is! When I smoke some steel rod pieced together with ancient junk parts while making my 11 second quarter mile pass on street tires it will seem real to you too... Just sayin.... :p

25. Phil1934

Phil1934

http://www.usbody.com/

Here's a carbon fiber '55 with a vinyl wrap

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  26. Bigfoot21075

Bigfoot21075

WHAT? THAT is a vinyl wrap? Really?

27. Phil1934

Phil1934

28. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

STEEL IS REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Id rather have a steel car with long wheelie bars than a glass car with short wheelie bars IF the question is witch is more authenic........
    For the record, it dont matter because the ONLY REAL AUTHENIC CARS NOT UPDATED DONT RACE, pieorid. Every nostiliga racer has new parts on their car....motor, tires,trans. So you cant race a original with original parts
    I have a glass bathtub that looks like a old clawfoot verson, is it new, old or something I soak weary body in, I dont cars as long as Im clean when I get out.

29. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

My 2 cents

30. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

How the hell did I quote myself ????