Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Tom Cobbs: Part 1

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One of the best sources on Cobb's early technical career (before the crank-mount blower period) is a magazine story covering the development of the roadster/coupe through three flatheads developing the top mount 4-71...it has about as much tech as you get in the earliest magazines, and considerable material on the thinking/development process as this thing evolved into a very fast car.
    I can't post the citation til tomorrow as it is at home...but it is in a magazine actually famous for its cover pic, two guys working on the Ray Brown '32 roadster. Someone here must have a copy to scan in...

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I haven't seen that article, but will look for it... You know what year?

It's interesting, half of the media you find on Tom Cobbs has his name spelled as 'Tom Cobb'. The other half it is 'Tom Cobbs'.

I can confidently say the latter is correct.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man, how does a man of such importance not get the attention that he deserves. I can't believe that I have not been reminded of his accomplishments and contributions to what we do on a daily basis. What a cool sorty and I can't wait to read more.

Damn it! That 1956 version of the Pierson Bros. coupe is slick. And the shot at the salt with all of them lined up is painstakingly beautiful. Viva La Hamb!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, get Kevin to post it...sent it to him in a packet of belt-drive blower stuff. Will look at the original and post citation tomorrow...no techno to post anything, though.

6. Terry

Terry

Man I love this stuff

7. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I can never get enough of this stuff. How cool would it have been to be at that first race?

8. jonnycola

jonnycola

I love the Jalopy Journal.

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

haha, that is some funny stuff right there.

Good writing, Ryan, and I look forward to reading part 2 next week. Keep up the good work!

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah.... If you like this week's installment, you are gonna shit yourself next week. :)

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, what a great story! I, too, love this stuff - Thanks and keep it coming! :D

Malcolm

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have it - I'll find it tonight. Scanner is busted so I'll need to figure that out. But as Bruce said it is a great article.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I should call off work ahead of time huh?

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Ryan, I really enjoy your literary prose. And this article is mesmerizing to read. Very enjoyable and enlightening!

15. radredrod

radredrod

Oh Man! That's the best read for me in a looong time! I love this kinda stuff. HotRod, R&C, and especially the Rodders Journal are really getting good at reporting on the forfathers of the HotRod genre, but NONE of 'em are doin' it better than what I see here! I'm looking forward to the second part...REALLY! -Greg

16. ratstar

ratstar

Thats a great read!

17. jonnycola

jonnycola

Does that mean that you ended up with it, and are putting the motor in your coupe??

18. Great read ... looking forward to next week's installment

19. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Great history lesson, photos, and well written, Ryan.

Really looking forward to the next installment.... '22

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

100% ...... Thank you!

21. legend....

as a slight question of detail.....the carb arrangement of the leading photo...anyone have a few photo's of the linkage's & mount on the 4/71?

Its very similar to the Navaro layout, and keen to see how he made it work...

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. great read Ryan, look forward to seeing/reading more....

22. These history lessons,are the greatest asset of the HAMB! Thanks Ryan.

23. autobilly

autobilly

Great read Ryan, I love that "Double Threat Coupe".
    The next instalment is eagerly anticipated!

Perhaps a little O/T, but of interest to some is the fact that Buddy Fox is an example of a "tatted" early Hot Rodder.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Stay tuned...

25. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I didn't see any mention of Tom's famous "tank" lakester. He started with his standard blown flathead and then went to a blown Olds and ran over 240 with that combination. The lakester was a true work of art with a tube space frame independent rear suspension and the big blown Olds for power. He did like the GMC blowers!

Rex

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's a copy of a historical document graciously donated by the Lancaster Guild for Early Ford Education.

Goes into some nice detail of the carburetor setup. Really cool. Check out the accelerator pumps. First carburetor in line has a bell crank which works the second pump via extra pump rod. The rest is in the attachments.

Attached Files:

27. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

One of my favorite stories is when Tom Cobbs and Fran Hernandez, Raced at Goleta Drag Strip. Tom had the blower, and Fran had the Edelbrock tuned Nitro snortin flathead. If I remember the story right there was alot of smack talk before hand, by cobbs, The Edelbrock guys beat Cobbs then loaded their car on the Trailer and left. What a glorious time to be a Hot Rodder!!
    Jimmy White
    P.s. Tom Cobbs should have more recognition, Kudos to you Ryan for posting this.
    P.s.s. Vic Edelbrock and his crew (Bobby Meeks, Fran Hernandez) and the rest of them are high on my heroes list.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Next time, read the article Jimmy! :)

29. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Thanks Ryan...what a great read. Can't wait 'til next week....

30. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Dude, I was so excited about this that I made my post then read the article after DUH! I am also the same guy that tries to put something together without the instructions. Needless to say Fran & Tom and all those guys are heroes!!
    Jimmy White