Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Go Cart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hifiguytn, Jan 28, 2008.

1. hifiguytn

hifiguytn

So my oldest boy is getting old enough for his first set of motorized wheels. I feel that he is gifted with a dad that can't leave well enough (like most of us on here) alone and get/build him a plain old go cart. So here is a call out for any pics you guys and gals have of some cool carts. Thanks guys.

2. I built this one about 10 years ago. It had a 8 horse Tecumseh snow blower engine,centrifugal clutch,snowmobile steering linkage and a Polaris snowmobile disc brake rotor and caliper engaged by a clutch master cylinder. It wound out at about 50 MPH when you had the balls to get it rolling that fast!:eek:

Attached Files:

3. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

4. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

im building this one right now its got a 175cc 2 stroke yamaha motor :)
    I built the jeep on a mid engined lawn mower frame and made the body myself its got a 5hp tecumseh lawn mower engine and a 3 speed w/reverse its slow but fun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sir

sir

...built this for my grand son this fall.....

6. T-Roy

T-Roy

7. Here's mine. Dad and I built this when I was 12-13. It had a 5 horse Tecumseh, which was mounted on a backwards wishbone suspended by motorcycle shocks, and panhard bar to locate the rear. The body, box, and hood are aluminum, the nose is a tractor gas tank. Front cross spring was from a snomobile and the whole front suspension was reused from an earlier cart project. I actually drove this on back roads about 8 miles to a car show on the MN / IA state line.
    Later Dad confiscated the motor for his Doodlebug project, years later here it sits waiting for a transplant.

[​IMG]

8. Spike!

Spike!

My son drifting in his cart..
    [​IMG]

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

We bought one of the Yard Dogs used from a friend. First 5 minutes in the street, on the very first turn, Boy Wonder flattens the neighbor's mail box.

(sigh)...good times...

-Brad

10. now that is a coll go cart!

11. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Here's mine. Grandpa partially built the frame and i finished it. Hot rod briggs motor, Rack and pinion steering (supposedly out of a porsche) :)
    Ratty55
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

i had this one from when i was very little (thats me in the wagon) till i was 14 or so (me with the blue hat). Eventually riding it int he woods and us getting fatter the front spindles kept breaking and the frame was folding in half so we scraped it. Its evolved over the years as me and my brother messed around with it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Bill H.

Bill H.

[​IMG]

This is a sketch over a photo of the buck a buddy and I are building for his son. I am trying to find some documentation for frame builds. Any ideas?

Bill

14. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

man you got to get this thing driving! so cool! Harbor freight has good deal on a good motor it's a 6.5hp honda clone $129 on sale can't beat that!

15. Here's mine....needs to be finished up. Chromed 8hp Tecumseh (new), Comet clutch (new), Dodge pickup 3-speed w/reverse (fresh), hydraulic disc brakes (new), aluminum hubs, Don Edmunds body, etc.

BTW.....it's for sale ! :)

Attached Files:

16. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

Seat Belt.
    Roll Bar.
    Helmet.
    Having fun and not going to the ER, priceless. :D

Just my 2 cents.

17. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Here's a couple of build pics of my son's latest courtesy of his Grampa. The chassis was originally built to be an early Indy style pedal car but pop's reskinning it as a RPU and it will be electric.

Attached Files:

• rpu1.JPG
      rpu1.JPG
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
    • rpu2.JPG
      rpu2.JPG
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
    • rpu3.JPG
      rpu3.JPG
      File size:
      77 KB
      Views:
    • rpu4.JPG
      rpu4.JPG
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
  18. Bent.....that thing is awesome ! :)

19. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Thanks a bunch. I'll try to post some more recent pics. Got a bunch more done since these. The hand brake handle is now a chrome Hurst stick, a neat fake multi carb set up pokin' through the hood, pick up box is done, header and exhaust too.

20. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

21. Pluck

Pluck

Here's a little something me and my two boys built with our own six
    little hands. She's lots of fun and scary fast!!:D

Attached Files:

22. llonning

llonning

Not mine, but a buddy of mine built a go-cart around a 650 Yamaha combo. Went like a raped ape!!!! Took it to SIR 1 time made 1 pass then they kicked him off the track!! Wouldn't even tell him what the time was. Told him he had to completely cage and body it if he wanted to run again. You couldn't roll the thing if you tried, and he tried. It was so low if you seen a pebble in the way, you went around it. Other wise it would end up where the sun doesn't shine.

23. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Anyone got a source for hotrodding info on Briggs & Stratton engines?theres got to be how to books out there someplace!

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Two outta three ain't bad:D

I wonder how close the nearest ER is to the Jalopy Showdown:confused:

:D

25. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

check out my cart i built out of wheel barrel and some door panels for the bed cheap and fast

Attached Files:

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

How's about a 1/4 Midget. This was from 95 or 96. Warm 5 hp Briggs. Would run high 9's lap times on a 1/10 mile dirt track. That's like 45 mph average.
    Coil over suspension, locked rear axle, no clutch, push start. Hyd brake on rear.
    Frank

Attached Files:

• 27a.jpg
      27a.jpg
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
    • 27d.jpg
      27d.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    • 27b.jpg
      27b.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
  27. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

Hear is mine got a great deal on it. Must be an race cart cause it has a clutch pedal and what looks like triumph motor mounts or some old motorcycle motor mounts. Also has independent front suspension. And and old rear axel that I was told looks like it came from a cushman trike but don't know. Any info would be great. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

28. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

i love these carts

29. bambam

bambam
    from Upstate NY

This is one that we started building about a year and a half ago for my 7 year old daughter. The more I thought about it, it seemed a little big and maybe too advanced for her so we bought her one of those Tractor Supply specials (Damn Nice Machine). Anyway she looks like shes having so much fun I've started re-building the big one for me-7 horse Kohler, scratch built belt drive system and 75 Yamaha rear disc brake.

Attached Files:

30. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

My 9yo's current heap. Dug out of my neighbors backyard where it's sat for almost 20 years. Found an edger on the curb and pulled the little Briggs off it and tore it down and tweaked it, added a clutch and away he goes. Outruns his buddy's 6.5 governed tecumseh.

[​IMG]

This is my current project for him. First welding project ever. Not shown is the steering assy. Working out pretty good and learning a new skill as well!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]