Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to remove kingpins from spindles in the junkyard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blownolds, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I don't have a king-pin press. What different methods can be used to remove early Ford spindles (kingpins too) from a '48 Ford P'up in the junkyard (basically a down-and-dirty job)???

?

2. I haven't done it with any Fords, but have done it with '49-'54 Chevy's. I use a 1/2 deep well socket and the BFH. I actually got 'um out without screwing anything up. OH YA! Use something to hold the socket, channel locks! [​IMG]

3. it's hard to drive them out on something sitting in a junkyard, they can be difficult even in good conditions...they need to be driven from the bottom up ,tuff to do if it's sitting on the ground.

torch the end of the axle off

4. sawzall

sawzall

I have done this in the yard.. however I didnt want the spindles, it was the brakes I was after..

anyhow I THINK your going to need to dissassemble the brakes from the spindles FIRST. If I remember correctly the kingpin will not come out with out removing the backing plates. otherwise as long as the cross pin comes out easy you should be able to drive the kingpin out of the axle..from the bottom. (so yeah its a down and dirty job.)

remember that if the truck is a post 48 f1 it SHOULD have self energizing brake assemblys which are smaller than the other pre 48 brakes but of a superior design IMHO.. If I were doing all this work I'd take the brakes home with me too.
    later

5. maud

maud
    from Maud,Tx

36 3-window is right, you would be very lucky to get the king pin to budge with just a bfhammer. Even with a rosebud tip on a torch and the bfh it is tough sometimes. Buy the whole axle and put it on a bfpress and the bfrosebud.

6. haring

haring

Like Clark said -- take the whole axle. Does it have the wheels as well? Take those. And the shock mounts.

I've removed a few early Econoline axles, and it's just much easier to take everything, and the yard never charges me for every little piece. I couldn't even get kingpins to move when I've had them in the garage. I wouldn't want to doit lying on my back in a yard.

7. burger

burger

Here's what I did to get the kingpins out of my 52 Chevy spindles. Granted, I did it off the car on my workbench, but I don't see why you couldn't use this procedure at the junkyard.

Tools:
    - Hefty C-Clamp
    - 2 Sockets, one the diameter of the kingpin and one large enough that the kingpin will slide through it

I used the C-Clamp to drive the pin out by placing the larger socket above the spindle and the smaller one on the bottom of the pin. I then cranked down on the clamp and the kingpin slid out.

Ed