Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jaguar salisbury/dana 44 gear swap conversion kits????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weasel

Weasel

fiftyV8 - that was one of my posts on my tech thread 'Pussyfoot - it's a Jag bag for me' on Jag suspension (IRS designed in 1957) and a hot rodder's staple from 1964 on which got closed for being non traditional while hundreds of threads on Mustang II and airbags remain open....

And mgtstumpy is right - just buy a center section with the desired ratio - I may even have a spare 3.54 laying around....

2. Weasel

Weasel

Unless you find one from the 1960s or the Euro variants like the 2.8 and 3.4 XJ6, you will find that the mid 1970s thru 1986 U.S. XJ6/XJ12 were mainly 2.88 ratio. A few 3.54s were also supplied in the US. The XJS from mid 1993 (1994 model year) thru end of production were 3.54 Powrlok with outboard brakes. A handful of the 1996 XJS had vented rotors. The diff on these has additional lugs cast in for the parking brake cable brackets and a fancy finned aluminum diff cover....

[​IMG]

3. icsamerica

icsamerica

It's easier than you think. Get an Auburn 19 spline carrier / locker of your choice and the matching side bearings for a standard Dana diff. They are a set in Auburn catalog. Get any Dana ring and pinion of your choice and a shim kit. It will drop in just like a Dana. You can also reuse the jag gears by simply drilling out the holes on the Auburn carrier to 29/64. If your jag gears are low (2.88) you'll need a carrier shim. If you Jag gears are 3:31 or 3:54 you wont need the shim.

All you hear about shoulder bolts this and that is bunk and internet subterfuge because you wouldnt want to use the jag carrier in any case...chances are it's open, worn out or low bias AND if its from a 2.88 (most are) it has the wrong offset for taller gears anyway.

The only considerations are the input shaft and setup. You may have to switch from flange to ujoint yoke. You can get a longer drive shaft or longer yoke on the transmission side to take up the space the flange used to occupy. You can make your own setup bearings buy purchasing an extra set of side bearings and using using a fine sandpaper roll to open them up a bit so you can slide them on and off by hand.

Its cheaper to do it this way because the Jaguar side bearing much more expensive than the side bearing the Auburn uses. The Jag side bearing are specail order. Auburn diff side bearing are available at your local auto parts store.

A proper rebuild kit for the Jag LSD (if you can find one) is also very expensive. Last time I check the steels were 40$ each.

Dont pay up for a 3.54 Jag LSD from the mid 90's...they are low bias and have very little LSD function.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

the clamping force of the bolts is what holds it together,,the shoulder has nothing to do with it,,on newer jeeps theres a issue just like this,,,ive used the 3/8s bolt gears with the 7/16 carrier 100s of times...

5. What's the reason for wanting that ratio range?
    It's not something that have even beem concerned about.
    Run what ya got and worry later.
    Get's the car on the road where it should be ... :D

6. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

What's up Gents? Been a while. Switched over to the C5 Vette for a while doing suspension upgrades.
    I'll be back onto the Harvester build asap. I havn't given the Jag gears any thought for a while. I've come to accept that I will just take it to a good shop around here and have it built up when I'm ready for it. No different than me needing a good 700R4 as all I have now is a core for my mockup. 3.55's is what I ended up looking for but never had any luck. The XJ12 had them I believe. I'll just go with an Auburn or something of the sorts when I have it built.

7. hotcargo

hotcargo

in Australia we had the Ford Mainline Utes , they came standard with 4.11 to 1 Salisbury / Dana gears ,

I used to fit the 4.11 crown wheel and pinions into the Jag centres , every so often

What I remember .......crown wheel bolted up to the hemsphere OK , pinion went in OK using off the shelf bearings and seals etc .........just had to grind out the Jag housing a touch here and there for clearance for the crown wheel

I'm goin' back 40 years ...............

cheers

8. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

So I have come across a 70's posi/gear set. He's not sure of the year or what it came out of other than it's a series 1 suspension. The guy has the 3.54 gears and posi unit for sale as well as the 19 spline stub axles. I don't think I need the stub axles so what is fair for the posi unit and gears? It's in the shop right now having the internals swapped to a 30 spline setup. He said it looks like it was recently rebuilt as there are still marking for checking the gear contact. He is gonna send me pics when the swap is done.
    Any advice on what is a fair price. Not much in the searches I did.

9. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Here's the photo of the diff before he took it to the shop for the rebuild.
    [​IMG]

10. Cadmsobile

Cadmsobile

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Ok ,what I know is worth nothing but I have a Dana 44 that I'm told is a Studebaker. It has 4.27 ratio and a posi I'm told is called a Tru-track. But it is not a independent axle design. If any of that stuff would work its in great shape and I would sure sell it. Disc brakes also.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you have a factory installed posi in a Studebaker axle, it was marketed as Twin Traction or "TT".

There is, or was, an aftermarket posi unit called Tru Trac or Tru Trak.

Ray

13. Andy

Andy

My 73 XKE V12 used 57-64 Chevy posi parts. I assumed the gears were Chevy as well. The whole car used obsolete US parts.
    A friend just bought a 74 XKE.
    It is geared really low. He might be open to a trade. His rear would work fine behind an overdrive trans.

14. The issue with most Jag rears is Jaguar (for whatever reason that Jag does occasionally weird stuff) used a 'special' ring gear/carrier with the 2.88 gear sets (and possibly the newer 3.54 sets too). The ring gear isn't the 'standard' thickness of a Dana 44 gear, so the gear flange on the carrier isn't in the right place either for standard Dana gears. The 2.88 gear set is common to all 80s/90s V12-powered cars, only the 70s versions got the lower 3.03 or 3.31 gears. All of these came with limited slip, which isn't the best for drag racing but works great in a street car. Anyway, a guy of the name of Mark Knight did a Dana 44 gear swap and documented it for his 'Draguar' (a 383-powered Jag sedan that he raced; not to be confused with the 'Roadkill' Draguar) on a web page. He used a Dana carrier/gears and it was a bolt-in deal with the right parts. The original web page is gone, but the parts list and some info is preserved here: http://dazecars.com/dazed/Diff.html

15. One other thing that should be noted; Jaguar did use both the Salisbury and Dana differentials, although the Salisbury are the most common. They can be told apart; the Salisbury had a drain plug, the Dana doesn't.

16. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

go on English ebay,and ship it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.