Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip Revival: Part 5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. williebill

williebill

Think of the poor mosquitos Norm killed.. Climate changing hoodlums

3. Wow! he called it! Sounds like you guys had fun....

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I love road trip stories like this. I've done the buy an old car long distance sight unseen and get on a plane and drive it back a couple of times, both with my wife before she was my wife. She married me anyway. Both times, we just went and almost literally just jumped in each car and started driving back to CA. Honestly, I'm not sure I did much more than check the oil before heading out and not too sure I even did that either time. Blind optimism does sometimes works out.

My wife is a planner, but that is about all of the planning I'm good for. Both times the Sparks/Reno area caught us with some short lived, fortunately minor car troubles. But both cars ended up being nice cars to own and started off with a memorable trip. I don't have either car any more. But I'm still married, 2 kids now, and still have the memories.

PS, I'd love to have a kick ass sweet looking Riviera like either of those cars. Both great scores. But, in my lame opinon that isn't worth a pile of ant poop, I think Norm got the better car. :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

5. Enjoyed the story.
    Glad nothing really catastrophic happened,
    and you both got home safe.
    Gotta say, judging by the reflections in your pictures,
    the cars look pretty damn nice!

6. Great story and memories for the future to cherish, however, given the experiences you've previously talked about with Riviera's, I don't think you mentioned if you're excited by what the car re-kindles, or even if you're glad you bought it? Along the way I'm sure you had many WTF am I doing moments, but are you glad you took that leap of faith?

Cool car, great to see it now has a new chapter in it's life.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

7. well told story. great cars. this is what its all about!

8. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Loved the description of your moment (hour) of bliss. I use that in the vein of Joseph Campbell's meaning of bliss. Namely, the quasi-religious feeling one gets from being in the moment of doing and being what you are. Different for different people, but it's a glorious feeling nonetheless. That you experienced it is great and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

9. wally426ci

wally426ci

Great trip and great story man. Thank you for taking us with you. I hope you guys come back next year! I love NPR, expecially This American Life. I can picture exactly how that felt.

10. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

You're quite a writer! I always enjoy reading your about your adventures.

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

gotta say boss im alot of jealous.i love doing that kinda stuff. done it twice in my life and both were many yrs ago.the wife and i are planning on a 2 lane highway trip from alabama to california in a few months in a ot 67 impala. awe just finished this old girl up and went for a 400 mile test run. scared to death the whole way...lol she drove all of it. but i was worried about the car not her driving.you couldnt have drivin a 10 p nail up my ah hell you know the rest...lol glad you made it back and safe to boot....

12. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

thanks for sharing your "excellent adventure"----fun

13. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

I need a good road trip....

Viva

14. 1929rats

1929rats

great story! I think everyone should try a cross country jaunt in a car older than them in their lifetime. Ive been lucky enough to do this multiple times. Tenn is a LONG state, Ive driven that rte 40 from end to end buying cars in AZ and bringing them back to Mass when I got out of school....broke down a few times in two different cars, but, those memories last a lifetime and I wouldnt change them for anything...once again, congrats on the 65.

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Glad you too got home safe and sound. You had me worried about Norm, I hadn't heard that part of the story yet. Yeesh, that coulda gone bad...

Old cars are an adventure. As of dinner time last night, all 3 of my cars were not road ready. The 54 was loading up and running like crap, and wouldn't accelerate beyond about 40mph. The truck has an electrical gremlin that won't let it start. Short somewhere? And the rambler had a vacuum leak.

I got the 54 sorted with a carb tune and some new plugs. I got the Rambler sorted with some vacuum repairs to the carb. Runs great now. But, when I took it out for a test drive, the master cylinder started hemorrhaging fluid out the back. No brakes on the Rambler.

And, the truck still won't start. At least the '54 is running good again so Becky could get to work. And I'm here writing a book about this while a wait to bum a ride to the parts store...

16. seatex

seatex

glad you fella's made it back okay...........................now, about that Thunderbird........

17. BLAKE

BLAKE

This is what I offered back on 9/5 when you announced this Bodacious Boondoggle™... nothing if not prescient.

18. Great roadtrip tale my friend!

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good stuff - glad you guys made it home without any major problems!
    You didn't cry when you skinned your knuckles? I mean, afterall, you ARE Cryin' Ryan, right?

Malcolm

20. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Awsome write up kinda puts things in perspective glad it all went well

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am glad you were able to make it home.a friend wanted me to drive home the country squire I bought in Florida 12 years ago but glad I decided to tow since it would have fried the motor in less then 20 miles due to it being very sludged up. It almost did not make it home from getting a out of state inspection which was less then 5 miles from the house.

22. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Resolving the failed vacuum modulator was a great bit of roadside engineering! Kudos to you both for not giving up (whether that means calling a hook, selling the car wherever you were at the darkest moment, etc.).

UNlike what any non-car person will say/feel, a trip like this is SANE stuff, not to mention GOOD for the SOUL.

Let this highway adventure be a prototype for a hundred others that as of now are still only items on folks' "bucket lists". For those who have yet to embark on a journey like this, may I suggest...

- Butyl insurance policy. From my personal BTDT folder of highway mishaps, I probably would have refreshed the hides prior to leaving port, but live and learn. Next time.

- Rain-X. ALWAYS use this stuff, especially in an unknown car or if the wiper motor has been in the parked position since "41" was in office! You will not be disappointed and may never use your wipers again.

23. Curt Six

Curt Six

About three months after my wife and I started dating, we took a week and a half long road trip from Baltimore to Austin (she had recently moved back to the east coast from there). We figured we'd come back and either get married or never talk to each other again. We've been married for over 11 years now. Glad to hear Norm finally bonded with the Riv...those road trips have a way of doing that. And those cars rule.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Come on man... Of course I did.

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

It's funny...as I read through the part where Norm starts blowing white smoke, I could feel my ass tightening up in my seat, just like I was the one who was behind the wheel, 1000 miles from home. There are countless little (and major) ups and downs on these vehicle adventures but they all come together in the end to make a tale like this and unforgettable memories!! It is stressfull as hell sometimes but man....they can be so worth it too!! Thanks for sharing and glad you all are safe!! Now go enjoy that Riv!!!!

26. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

road trips are great. they make you use your wits sometimes, but the stories last a lifetime. thanks for sharing yours

27. belair

belair

A fun story, and blood has been spilled to the car gods. You are golden from here on out. I have had an unquenchable lust for a 65, but that first pic (which is killer, by the way) makes the clamshell Riv look like a Galaxy-ugh. Norm's looks better at night, yours in the day, I guess..Congratulations on a great trip and your Rivis.

28. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Great storytelling. I'm happy for you guys.

29. Great adventure....I along with several buddies go on the HRPT every year. Its about the journey not the destination. If it breaks you fix it...if you can't then tow it home. Its all good out on the road.

30. NoSurf

NoSurf

All's well that ends well.