Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jaguar salisbury/dana 44 gear swap conversion kits????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Has anyone tackled a gear swap in a Jag Salisbury differencial? Converting it to Dana 44 gears. I have read that there are kits available so that you can choose the many gear ratios available for Dana 44s. My series 3 XJ6 IRS has 2.82's in it. I would like to run 3.73's or something up to 4.10's.
    Anyone know of a source for kits?

2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

good luck on that one. I have 2.88 in mine,got a 30 spline dana 44 trac-lok, jag stub axles are 19 spline. checked on new stubs and they were 900.00. my rear end guy wouldn't even talk to me about thicker gears for the carrier. randy's has a locker for 3.73 up for 280.00.

3. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Check the last 2 posts here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jag-rear-end-190481.html

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

If the info on the above link is correct, I'd think it simple to just sleve the bolt holes in the jag diff. There's even a chance that someone already makes the "shouldered" bolts to make it a bolt-in.

5. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Yeah, I've read all those. I can find a 100 of those threads, yet none will actually provide a source for parts. How can soooo many people have and use these rears for hot rods, yet we can't find gear swaps for them? Makes me want to scrap the idea and go back to my Explorer 8.8 and make it easy.

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

looked for months on the net and got a lot of "kinda like" info, nothing you could use. Jag parts are completely out of my price range and they are very loyal to their parts(nothing else works). I can't or don't want to change the rear in the TVR and I really need a steeper gear, I am sure there is a way.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Talk to Curt Hamilton at Hamilton Automotive in Van Nuys, CA Tel 818 787-9695 - he's been rebuilding Jag rearends since the '60s and knows everything there is to know and then some....

8. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Thanks. I'll give it a try...

9. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

I think you might be in a whole world of pain trying to change the ratio of an existing Jag diff.

Jag did make a 3.77 factory ratio, it may be easier to hunt one of those down and swap the entire diff.

Here is a list of Jag years/models and the available ratios.
    http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/v2/tech/jag_rear/tech_jag.php

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

keep me in the loop..............

Ray

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lol, the parts are neither expensive or hard to find. all the bearings are standard gm bearings.. as for the gearsets, as I said before...

But you can use Dana 44 gears. You have choices, use the later style carrier or sleeved or shouldered bolts, the holes in the Salisbury carrier are 7/16" and the holes on the Dana 44 ring gears are 3/8". Easy enough. Gear sets are $200-250. I've also heard of taking the holes on the gear to 7/16"

Quit making everything so hard people...

12. 26 roadster

26 roadster

my cost on dana gears is $300, it is the carrier that is my problem. I need a 3.73 up carrier with 19 spline side gears. I have finally found one at Randy's. still, $600 bones is a lot for me. It is the choices I made that made it hard not my attitude.

13. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

14. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

I am looking for a 3.54 Jag diff for myself right now. Should be able to get a whole rear end or just the bare diff for around $400 (or less).

A set of new Dana gears in Australia costs about $300 plus $100 freight from the US, plus all the worries about bolts and carriers, it is just not worth the trouble.

Just buy a second hand diff, and sell the one I now have, and it should cost just about zero to change the ratio without much messing around.

15. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

As you said before ???

As far as it being hard, I've never fooled with a differencial other than pulling the cover to change the fluid. So this is 100% new to me. Then you add to it that there is nothing to be found online showing how to do a gear swap.....
    At this point, I almost don't care if it is possi or not as long as I had proper gears. I too have read that you need a different carrier for the 3.73 and up gears. By the way, with no experience.....not even sure what the carrier is ; ) See my problem? Now we have someone saying the axle spline don't match the D44's.....
    As much as I want to use the Jag rear suspension with the Jag front suspension, I may scrap the idea. The more I look at this, the cost to rebuild the suspension + the $$$$ and questions of the gear swap..... may just be too expensive to use. Might have to just use the Explorer 8.8 I have sitting here.

16. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Dana 44's do have two different spline counts, the smaller is usually fitted to front 44 diffs with smaller axles, and the larger to rear 44 diffs with fatter axles in different applications.
    Jaguar used both at different times.
    No way of knowing what you have without disassembly.
    Changing the side gears in the carrier is all that is required, but it is just one more complication.

17. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Randy's ring and pinion, helpful folks. a 3.73 up carrier(locker unit) was less than $300 w/ the 19 spline side gears so your stub axles will work. My budget is $1000 for a new carrier, gear and labor. In my case I am not going to replace my rear with a solid axle though. I have watched your thread, don't give up now man.

18. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Is that just the carrier or the gears too?

19. worken2much

worken2much

I don't know jack about Jag rears. I have swapped gears in Dana 44's. If I remember correctly, I bought the gearsets off E-bay for aroud 120 - 150 bucks. New in factory styrafoam box.

There are two different Dana carriers. I believe the switch comes at 4:11. One carrier will accomodate 4:11 & lower, like 5:38 etc.

They are kinda a pain to set up. The pinion goes in first. The pinion bearings are a pres fit. Shops that do a bunch of these rears will hone out a pair of pinion bearings to make them a slip fit as the shims controlling pinion depth are between the rear bearing and gear. Consequently, if after installing the pinion the gear engagement with the ring gear isn't correct, the rear pinion bearing has to be pressed off again to change shims. It's a lot easier with the rear out of the car too.

Find yourself a local 4 wheeling Jeep shop. If they are the real deal they will be able to swap out your gears no sweat. Jeeps used the 44 too. It's one of the most popular rears ever. Came in Ford pickups, old Mercurys, IHC's. I've been told that even Honda used them in some of their cars.

Good luck
    Worken2much

20. 26 roadster

26 roadster

that was for a "posi" (locker) carrier. ring and pinion is 150-300 more and new bearings.
    jags are not dana 44's, just that some of the parts interchange. this what I got when I searched the web, everything sounds easy, but no specific info. I am taking mine to the "cobra guy" locally and watch him do it. maybe then I will know exactly how to do it.

21. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Take pictures if you can. You could do a sweet writeup on it.

22. IM, in researching my build which is almost like yours I have read about changing gears using the shouldered bolts, I think it was on Ford truck enthusiasts. I also talked to a Friend of mine where I picked up my XJ6 parts car about installing the D 44 ring and pinion and track lock carrier I have in the 2.88 rear I have and he said it can be done. I'll PM him and see if he will contact you about your problem.

23. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Thanks for the help. I know with $$$, it wouldn't even be an issue. Just take it to a good gear shop and have it done. But $$$ is an issue so I'm trying to find the most cost effective way to do this. I have to factor in the cost of rebuilding the suspension and brakes as well.

24. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

I got lucky with a rear that I got out of a 90s XJS v12 car, 3.54 ratio and posi... maybe just look for a XJS rear or use a 3.54 gear set? The difference between 3.73 and 3.54 isnt enough to justify all that extra cost and effort IMO. Good luck whatever you do. :)

25. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

That was my original plan but I have had no luck finding a set. If I go the other route, I'm going with 3.92's. I'm going to run a 700R4 so the OD will help me there. plus it's going into a 46 International Harvester truck. I'm guessing if I ran 4.10s it would still cruise fine at 80mph on the freeway. I can't imagine, with the aerodynamics of this truck, cruising any faster than that. So I would rather make it more enjoyable around town.

Willysfast41 likes this.
  26. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Jaguars used both Salisbury and Dana assys. Ratios were from 2.88 to 4.5ish depending on the car and engine spec. All v12s and XKEs and most VDPs had powerlock diffs - though I doubt you would want to scrap an XKE these days. The easiest way to swap ratios is the swap the whole center section with one of the ratio you want. Rusty S3 XJs are everywhere and cheap. BUT beware not all Salisbury cases are the same - the top mount differs from model to model.
    It seems that it would be a lot of work to change to another mfr's gear set when the one you want is as near as your local salvage yard. Also the set up of these diffs is not staright forward - a case stretcher is needed - although I have changed them without.
    If you are using a Jag rear set up the cost of gears is usually the least of your worries - just price up caliper rebuild or replacing the needle rollers in the suspension arms!

27. Weasel

Weasel

The 3.77 only came on the manual trans with O/D 3.4 & 3.8 S-Type sedans. very rare and I doubt if you'll find one in the U.S....

28. frank_a

frank_a
    from New York

I used to live near the Canadian border, and found a wrecked S-Type in Cornwall, ON with the 3.77's in it. It now resides in my t bucket and is awesome, other than the rpms it turns at highway speeds with my TH350. I'm pulling my 15 year old hot rod apart right now to (in part) install a 700R4 which will give me much better highway rpms.

Frank

29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some info was posted here on a HAMB thread about 6 months ago, isaved a couple of the pic's relating to discussions about Dana and Salisbury stuff.

Attached Files:

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I used an open (Non LS) 320 Jag rear, right width with 3.54:1 with 235/75/15. With a 700R 2k rpm @ 60mph. IMHO I would just source a complete good used centre & swap it over. Saves time & $$$$$.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.