Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Thanks Fellas!

2. How did I miss this thread all this time?,,man,I am in awe,,some beautiful work. HRP

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking REALLY good, Mike! Thanks for the updates --- keep it going!!

Malcolm

4. Hey thanks guys! That really means alot!

5. NealinCA

NealinCA

I'm with you HRP...I just went through 10 pages or posts...and saw some REALLY neat fabrication work. You may have said, but how are you cutting out your brackets, etc? Bandsaw? Then beltsander? Very nice work...whatever it is.

Thanks,

Neal

BTW...you are welcome on the taillight stands. I got to that part and said...hey wait...I've seen this before. I'm glad someone was paying attention. :D

6. Hey thanks Neal. Your rpu is a real inspiration. As far as brackets, yes mostly bandsaw. I have an ancient Delta wood saw that I slowed down with pulleys and it has been invaluable. The heavier stuff is just torch cut and ground.

There is so much talent on this board that it is an honor to be able to put my junk up with everyone elses. I learn so much here on a daily basis.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who takes the time to document and share their ideas!

-mikethegreek-

7. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Nice work as always,see ya in Salina in couple weeks?

8. Hey Rob, thanks man! I can't make Salina this year as the wife is hosting a craft fair at her store in KC that weekend. I am relegated to heavy lifting and whatever else I'm told to do! Hahha! We will be at the Drags though whether the truck is finished or not!

9. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Cool man , see ya in Aug.

10. redwelter

redwelter

Dude, this is awesome! I just bought a 34 chevy step side last month and your posts are super inspiring. My truck is in similar condition as yours when you started and your posts have given me some good ideas on how to deal with some of the issues. I can't wait to see a video of your truck driving out of the driveway! Please keep the posts coming.

Thanks
    Red

11. redwelter

redwelter

Oh yeah, are you going to put any fenders on? My truck didn't come with rear fenders and I think I am going to be faced with fabricating a pair from scratch. Any thoughts? Also, what year of F-1 steering box did you use? So many questions.....

Keep it coming dude, I'm addicted
    Red

12. Hi Red. Welcome to the HAMB and thanks for the kind words!
    To answer your question about fenders, I do not plan on running any, though the thought of just running some bobbed rears has crossed my mind.

The steering box is '48 or'49 I think? I did have to make that wacky extension of a Pitman Arm to clear the wishbones, so your situation may vary. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I will be happy to try and answer them. Good luck with your project and thanks again!

-mikethegreek-

13. Grizzly34s

Grizzly34s

Keep the posts coming. I have this 34 truck at home now and need to get started on it. You have done some great work on yours. Glad to find more guys working on these old Chevy trucks. Thanks for the pics, Mike

14. Cool Mike. Thanks for the interest! Good luck with your project.

-mikethegreek-

15. Very cool, love it!

16. redwelter

redwelter

17. I had to raise the bed floor by 2" above stock height for frame clearance. I want a stock apearing bed so I ordered up some repro strips and cut some pine planks for mock-up, I will probably use hardwood for the finished product.

The fourth pic shows the material I used for the cross supports under the wood. It is similar in dimension to the original stuff that the truck places sell but only $1 a foot instead of $25 for a 4ft piece:eek:. It's 18 gauge which I think is a little lighter than original, but I don't plan on doing too much heavy hauling.

Attached Files:

18. Thanks dub!

19. The end result...

Attached Files:

20. Nice work Mike! I need to start looking for some of that hat channel for the bottom of my bed too.

21. Hey Mike,
    I have a newb question, how did you make the lip on tunnel that butts up to the firwall? I need to learn so I can do mine in a couple months.

22. Thanks! I found the hat channel at my local drywall supply house. They had a couple of different sizes available.

From one Newb to another :), the lip was made with a tipping wheel on my sheetmetal machine. I'll look for a picture and post it up.

-mikethegreek-

As an aside ,as soon as I got the wood in , the lightbulbs right above burnt out. Perfect timing for a test! I didn't fall through, so Pass!

Attached Files:

23. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Looks fantastic.
    Is the wood in before the hat section was used and that is why the top of the rear cross member is still sticking through?

24. Here is a picture of the machine I used to "tip" the flange on the trans hump.
    You basically run your piece through the machine and lift or tip up as it goes through. I had to do a little shrinking of the flange to get it to fit the firewall correctly.

Attached Files:

25. Thanks G J. I looked through my pictures and appearently I didn't get any of the hat channel supports going in. It goes in first and basically sandwiches the wood between it and the bed strips.

As far as the crossmember is concerned. I used a Ford T piece that is high-arched in the hopes that I'll find a quick- change rear for cheap someday :D. I was trying to raise the bed floor as little as possible from stock, so that's why it peeks through. I will make a sheetmetal cover for it eventually.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  26. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Thanks for the reply. Your plans are clear now and a shame on missing out on the photos of the hat section going in, but I know what it is like some times when you are on a roll. ;)

27. It will be coming apart shortly, so I will try to get some shots of the overlooked areas as it does.

28. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

The bed looks great! What kind of hardwood do you think you'll use?

29. Thanks B. E. While the wife and I were joking that I should use something exotic like Ipe with a Wengewood egg and dart boarder :rolleyes: , I'll probably just use some white or red Oak.

I want to retain some utility and not make it too pretty.