Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Modelcar Sundays 3/3/13

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halfasskustoms, Mar 3, 2013.

1. paintcan54

paintcan54

Thanks everybody for the quick replys, I just got back into the model building thing after about 40 years. Man has my skills gotten rusty over the years.

Back to the glue thing thanks again, I will try a small Hobby Shop for what I need, the large ones I been to seems like they realy don't have time for questions, if your not spending a lot of money.

2. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Hey Doc don't sweat I think were allowed at least one time to be mad at the world especially considering the circumstances. Sorry for your loss.

3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Scrambler1,
    You will want to try the Testors "Clear parts cement".
    Highly recommended for windows.Will not fog or ruin your windows.It goes on white and dries clear.Try a practice piece with it first,you'll love it.

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

paintcan54,
    There are loads of modeling reference,how to,tutorials on youtube also.

5. Gezz ..had a time searching for "Sunday Models" today.

Doc lost his cool. (Understandable)

Southpier had me bookmarking new model sites(Thanks BTW)
    Newbie got loads of info.

Lyle posted up some awesome pixs.(Thanks Lyle)

Great thread fellas ...see Y'all next week on "Sunday (insert space here) Models

6. thehazguy

thehazguy

Great talent and pictures this Sunday, great stuff. Hang in there Doc we've all been there. Our prayers are with you and your friends family

7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Hey Doc, your statement did not seem like you at all. :confused: Thanks for your explanation and really sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up.

Great bunch of work here again this week folks, you have some talent.

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Slowly getting started on this Johan kit for a friend.The idea is to get it close to his original '63 SuperStock pictured below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

10. froghawk

froghawk

Doc, I'm very sorry for the tragic loss of your friend. I can only imagine what you must be feeling. I did have a friend from our model club take his own life several years ago. He was an extremely reserved and private person and while we spent a fair amount of time together, I feel I never really knew him. When he died, much too young, it was a complete shock, and I'm not the only one left with the feeling that if somehow we could've cut through the wall he'd built around himself, we might have prevented it. Even his family had virtually no clue. He left no messages, and all we're left with is a mystery and the memories.

But I do try to not take my friends for granted anymore. And it's the friends with whom I share the hobby that make it worthwhile. The kits I have and the models I build are, in the end, just "stuff."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. froghawk

froghawk

Some great stuff this week, guys. Pscott, I love the T roadster and, ClearSpot, I'm envious of your opportunity to build that rare Johan kit! OldSprinter, your 1/8 scale car are always amazing.

I feel lucky that I've got something to contribute this week! Finished my build of this previously unmolested original issue SMP '59 Corvette 3-in-1 Customizing kit as a sort-of tribute to the first version of the '58 the late great Larry Watson painted for Lavonne Bathke. Though I didn't have the nerve to attempt the candy red and gold flames that Larry did in the coves!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. scrubba

scrubba

John, I hope you show it at MCM too! scrubba

13. That's funny,cause Jesse built a Model A,NOT a 32...

14. clear spot that 63 dodge is a rare money kit all ive got is a badly warped 63 promo

15. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Man,I couldn't agree more! The owner of the kit and car pictured said he'd rather see it built on the shelf.Cannot argue with that...It was a gift to him from his wife.

16. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

At 50 years of age, I can say this much, model cars are how most anyone I know learned of cars. Long before the internet and video games were ever thought of, I spent my time building model cars. At a very young age, I learned where the parts of the car go, that reading the instructions is a big help. I learned that once you've seen how stuff fits, you can vary things to fit your tastes and needs. I learned how to chop tops on '49 Mercs, build funny car chassis that sit on all four wheels on a flat surface. I can now sand, paint and buff to perfection as well as make doors fit. I know the difference between a '64 and a '66 Corvette as well as how a 1960's Logghe funny car chassis is built. All of this I learned from "wasting" my time with model cars. I also wasted my youth drawing cars when I didn't have money to build models, which helped me visualize things before I actually build them, oddly enough that helps me in my current time-wasting job as a CNC machinist/programmer. I think my ability to build everything and I mean EVERYTHING on my current cars is due to my youth "wasted" building models.

17. froghawk, your paint skills continue to amaze me

i wanted to share this to those who dont know i just bought the amt re-issue ohio george 33 willys gasser in the kit is a pretty cool picture book from when amt first measured the car in the 60's and some from the restored car in the museum its in pretty good detail shots

18. Nitro Marty

Nitro Marty

19. Nitro Marty

Nitro Marty

Here's my latest... A little "new" for the H.A.M.B., I know, but, what the hell....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. superchargedill

superchargedill

Wow, these are some really bitchin models. Nice work and detail

21. superchargedill

superchargedill

Here's the Mickey Thompson Attempt. I added some detail to make it more like the real car.

Attached Files:

22. scrubba

scrubba

Once again, so much spectacular talent here ! scrubba

23. 61 chevy

61 chevy

great model, that's strange, the box has a ford or Pontiac on it :confused:

24. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

Love those patina cars.

25. racemad55

racemad55

61 chev,back then boxes were all generic,just different stamping on the ends,58'-about62'. I miss those days!

26. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

you are sooo! correct I can't even agree with you more.have had race cars .street cars.parts just seem to fit ,shit just seems just to go together,
    hopeing this makes scense

27. Here are a few artsy shots of just one of my models that i completed a few summers ago.

Attached Files:

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wow Doc.....so sorry my friend :( a loss like that is never easy. Sorry you have to go throught that.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. docmike

docmike

Doc, I'm sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you are feeling, I've been there.

DocMike