Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The quality of mercy is not strained.
    It dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."

William Shakespeare

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Sherman said, "War is hell." This last photo seems to show that
    you can beat Hell ;) and rejoin the real world -- no matter if you're
    Yank, Brit, Anzac, German, Japanese, or any other nationality,
    for that matter.

3. ^^^^^ My burnt out brain wants to give the credit to Rbt. E Lee for the statement that "It is good war is so terrible lest we grow too fond of it"

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regardless of race, colour, creed or sex, regardless of your own personal hatred a true medic looks at any casualty as his closest mate in crisis when treating that person.
    I know one minute I have been fiering with absolute hatred at an adversary and seconds later treating them as gently as my own mother.

Jimi, I cant tell you why but the last series of pictures of WWII truly hit me hard.

Doc.

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Sonny Bono's Mom.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure she was in the Yardbirds!

Doc.
    (On second thoughts put a Mustache on her.........is that John Bonham?!!:eek:.... We done' four all ready but now were steady and then they went 1, 2, 3, 4.....)

7. WCD

WCD

Sonny wore those boots in 65. Shag coat made it complete.

8. BobG

BobG

looking north towards Denver on Broadway in Englewood Co (1968)

The Fleewood Restaurant on city Bypass Rt 66 in Springfield IL. (1970)

Attached Files:

9. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

jimi it looks like a 38 Chrysler converted to a pickup.

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Mike, that's right. :) It was 1862, and the Army of Northern Virginia had great position on Maryes' Heights at Fredericksburg. Gen. Burnsides (of Mexican War fame) landed his Union troops by barge, formed up and attacked across open ground. :eek: It was slaughter, but it was good generalship on the part of Lee and his right-hand man (I think Longstreet, but I'll double-check). When Burnsides' men were routed, Lee made the statement, which I think you pretty well nailed verbatim. I've always believed Lee was a good man, not just a great general doing his best for Old Virginia. :cool: And I think he sincerely MEANT what he said that day! (He was hopeful of enough Confederate victories compelling the North to sue for peace;), you know?)

Doc, in addition to the CURRENT military personnel in my family, I have ancestors going back to the Revolution; if I include my wife's side, we even have relatives who served in the Spanish-American War. So (as all HAMBers know by now:p), VETERANS are close to my heart. We've had ancestors who've been gassed, shot, fragged, blown out of the air, or just plain KIA. Also, most made it home.;)

It's a good soldier's job to neutralize the enemy -- whoever he is -- as much out of duty to protect your mates/buddies as to survive yourself! Sounds simple, but it's a complex mindset and focus, unlike anything in civilian life, AND it carries a level of stress that some (perhaps most?) can't put aside when they return to civilian life. I believe that anyone who's been in combat carries a piece of that with him/her, often the rest of their lives. (I know a former 'Nam medic/nurse, e.g., who could not talk about her experiences without tears. And two friends of mine had nightmares so bad that they sometimes were a danger to their wives.) For others, the wounds are only physical, not the psychological ones others can't see, right? My uncle was hit three times in Europe, working in artillery. He made a joke out of many things and like to show his scars and tell the story that went with each. He'd been fragged by a mortar round, shot through the knee by machinegun fire and shot once in a lung by small-arms fire. Everybody handles the past their own way, best they can. For him, it was humor and TALKING about it. Had he killed Geries? Yes, but he rarely talked about killing. Did it bother him? Not that he let it show.

Anyway, as I said above, vets can BEAT whatever Hell they, individually experience -- be it physical or psychological -- and go on with life. They've earned the right to live in peace and honor. I know some people don't understand war or the need for a military preparedness, and others just stick their heads in the sand and don't care. But it may HELP any given vet to know that MANY appreciate their service and sacrifices -- not just on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Pearl Harbor Day and the holidays celebrated in the British Commonwealth. Very importantly, many civilians also understand the complexity of post-traumatic stress; not always something a guy/gal can simply "shake off" by will and reason alone. But various supports are there to aid in coping. Though, sometimes, vets can feel "alone, even in a room full of people," do know that you are not alone, nor are you unappreciated! Just look at all the guys on this thread (many vets, too!) who get so excited to show planes, arms and combat theaters and talk about them AND share their own stories -- some funny, some not funny at all. The thread is about ALL aspects of life, which embrace the whole backdrop of the car/truck/custom passion HAMBers share. NOT EVERYTHING we post is happy, fun, light. We post images of war and the military because THAT TOO is part of the real-world fabric of that backdrop. It's ALL about history and vintage photos, art and discussion of same. Damn, I love the HAMB!:cool:

Incidentally, in addition to the many veterans' groups worldwide, there's also a HAMB forum for vets. I'm sure somebody reading can tell us right where to find it. IMO, we can never give "too much" back to our veterans. They go through Hell so that we don't have to. THANKS, all!:D

These are words of appreciation, not a political statement. But, if is sounds political -- objectionable -- to someone, well, I'll follow what our moderators deem approriate on the matter.

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_7b5958a5-ef1b-4481-b89d-9375a1bf67a3 -->[/FONT]

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, Bill. That makes sense! At least I had the MoPar part right!:rolleyes: I surely wish we had more pix of this "truck." It looks to have been done pretty well, so it would be cool to see the details of the bodywork, wouldn't it?:)

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

What can be said in praise LIFE magazine? Words seem
    puny. Around since 1936, LIFE has captured the sublime
    to the bizarre, and everthying in between, from the world
    we've lived in.:cool:

[​IMG]
    Debut issue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_08260c23-efa5-4ef4-aaca-e622693df3db -->

15. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Orkin 1957 Montgomery,Al.jpg

1953 Montgomery,Al.jpg

405506_455480127816286_431947824_n[1].jpg

Late 50s Montgomery,Al.jpg

Montgomery,Al bread truck.jpg

Photos from the 1950s in Montg.,Al

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, what the heck's "Health Physics," anyway?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I got curious, so I went looking. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is a brief excerpt from the introduction [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]of the [/FONT]Radiation Safety Training Manual and Resource Book, published by the University of Rochester ([FONT=Century,Century][FONT=Century,Century]http://extranet.urmc.rochester.edu/radiationSafety/ [/FONT][/FONT].) To be truthful, I found a few passages
    unintentionally humorous, in a dark sort of way! :cool:

The field of Health Physics was officially born in 1942 when a physicist for the Manhattan Project, Ernest Wollen, was assigned the task of determining the effects of radiation on Project workers, recommending proper techniques to control their [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]e[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]xposure[/FONT], and to develop reliable methods of measuring this exposure. The result was, in the space of just a few years, amassing enough information to found a new profession and to lay the groundwork for years of studies.

Following the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan, Manhattan Project scientists were dispatched to Hiroshima and Nagasaki to study the effects of radiation on humans over both short-term and long-term time frames. Other health physicists covered the atomic and hydrogen bomb tests in Nevada and in the Pacific, studying the effects of the explosions, the immediate radiation, and the fallout on plant and animal life, including their effects on humans. [....

[​IMG]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Hey, Doc! Looks like "Leo G. Carroll is over a barrel" again! :p:p:p[/FONT]

.......] From these studies, as well as from accidental releases of fission products and from more laboratory work, our present limits for exposure to radiation and radioactive isotopes were derived. Most of today's exposure and concentration limits are a direct result of the work done by the Manhattan Project health physicists.

There has been more research done on the effects of ionizing radiation than on any toxic substance and there is more known about radiation's effects on humans than about any other harmful agent. It is also interesting to note that, despite radiation's being undetectable to the senses, it is more easily detected in any quantities than virtually any other substance known. Radiation detectors can reliably detect, depending on the isotope, as little as 10
    -23 grams of radioactive material. This means that we can detect radiation at levels several orders of magnitude below the lowest levels shown to be harmful.

The standards that we follow and the radiation limits to which we adhere are based upon nearly a century of trial and error. Most of the practices of the past seem ridiculous, antiquated, naive, or just plain stupid with our current knowledge of the effects of radiation and radioactivity. However, without this stupidity and naiveté we might still be blissfully unaware of the potential hazards of radiation. Eben Byers and the radium watch dial painters died prematurely and horribly but their deaths led to studies that emphasized the importance of minimizing body burdens of radium and, by extension, of all radioisotopes. Early radiographers suffered burns which taught them the lessons of time, distance and shielding, the three basic tenets of [radiation] safetyfrom external sources.

LIFE photographer Loomis Dean shot these frames -- mostly previously unpublished until LIFE put them on the internet -- May 16, 1955, back when we did open-air A-Bomb testing. Original cutline: "Scorched, male mannequin in suit of dark fabric indicates a human would be burned but alive."

[​IMG]

Hmmmm. "Burned but alive." Hmmmm! :rolleyes:
    What was it Josey Wales said? "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!":(

[​IMG]

"Hey, Ethel! Look! Scorched BUT alive. Hooray!":D

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  17. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Montgomery,Al

Attached Files:

18. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

This can't be real?

19. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Bobby Allison in the early '60s at Montgomery Speedway with Bob Harmon and Miss Montgomery Speedway.

Attached Files:

20. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

...It's from the movie "Tarantula", like it says, Leo G Carroll (also known as Mr. Waverly in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) :cool:

21. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Ahhh thank you! hahahaha

22. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[QUOTE: This can't be real? [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE: Ahhh thank you! hahahaha [/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hmmm.:rolleyes: NOTE TO SELF: "Next time, include disclaimer"[/FONT]

[​IMG]

WARNING!
    SATIRICAL HUMOR AHEAD!
    :D

[​IMG]

24. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

German troops during the Battle of the Marne. Near
    the river Marne the German invasion was brought to
    a standstill. Picture made in September 1914. This
    picture is thought to be staged. The Iron Cross the
    soldier in front is wearing, e.g., would not have been
    the norm while in action. (By 1916, the showy spike
    helmets had been ditched for more practical ones.)

[​IMG]

Leslie’s, 1915. Unfortunately, there were three years
    of carnage ahead.

26. [​IMG]

I consumed many a burger here in my 63 Valiant and 66 Barracuda!

27. [​IMG]

The Bomber, my hometown of Milwaukie Oregon!

28. [​IMG]

This place opened in 1907, is STILL in business! A great place!

29. [​IMG]

Packard dealer in Portland. The building is still there.

30. Swede Ralston flying an AT-6 Texan through Naval Air Station Tillamook Hangar B. Story has it he inverted halfway through the hangar.

[​IMG]

Swede Ralston with Ed Ball, founders of Aero Air, Hillsboro Airport (Oregon).

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.