Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your flavor: The '39 or the '40 DeLuxe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

It's a close call, for all the reasons already stated, but if it's a closed car, then I prefer the 40. If it's a convertible, then it's definitely a 39, since that's the last year of the coupe-convertible, and I'd be tempted to put 40 trim on a 39 convertible if I were starting with a pile of parts rather than a nice, complete car.

2. jmh

jmh

My ride is a 39 Deluxe!! So.. Thats my pick!! John

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's been a few cars, that were you to own one of, you'd see the others and want that one too. 1st gen GM F-bodies come to mind. Love the 67, love the 68. Love the differences of each, love the "improvements" of the 68. GM A-bodies too. If I had a 68 Chevelle, I'd want the 69 when I saw it, and the reverse of that as well. It's a sickness, right? 29-31 Packards fall in there too. To the casual observer they all appear the same, but when you know the differences, what you can see and not see, you need to nearly have 1 of each to get a fix. 31 fenders embody a grace and flow like no other on the more senior versions, but the 29-30 fenders are just as graceful in how they seem to "hold" their spares with an almost maternal love.

None more debilitating than the 39-40 Fords. Standard, Deluxe, 39, 40, both encompass things that real car folks swoon over. I love both, or more accurately, ALL 4! I used to despise the 38 Deluxe/39 Standard. Now I love it. I always thought the 40 Standard was just a "left over" 39 (I know it's not, just an outward observation), so why not go Deluxe? The grille, headlights, hood, taillights of the 40, 40 Deluxe, are magical. More graceful than the Lincolns, and a 40-41 Continental is still a truly "sexy" car, but it's no match for the size and graceful proportions of a 40 Deluxe. They simply flow and feel good. But then, as the ever courageous jive-bomber endured, you stroll past a 39 Deluxe. Just when you thought you were "there" you had what you wanted, sumbitch. The details hit you. The real differences that are in your face, the subtle differences the less informed miss. There's no answer to this. You simply have to have at least 3 of the 4 I mentioned to maintain civility without meds. Just sayin...

4. sawzall

sawzall

come on.!
    40 deluxe all the way..

[​IMG]

although.. I must admit..

after seeing this 39 wagon in California

[​IMG]

ithe roof on my 40 wagon is looking alittle BIG..
    [​IMG]

and the ONLY 40 ford convertible that I would ever want to own is this one..
    [​IMG]

but i hope 50fraud doesn't offer it for sale anytime soon
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661072&highlight=50fraud

50Fraud likes this.
  5. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'm surprised at all the 39 votes, I like the 40 myself. That said, I wouldnt kick a 39 out of bed.

6. I've owned two 40 DeLuxe sedans and a 40 DeLuxe coupe,,but I've always like the 39 DeLuxe and 40 Standard better.:rolleyes: HRP

7. Greybeard

Greybeard

My choice would be a '39 with a '40 dash and steering column. As if I'd ever have that chance...

8. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

39 Is my pick , like the dash , floor shift , fold out windshield,tail lights, most of all the headlights and grille. If I ever get a 40 , I'd much rather have a standard.

9. '40 Standard would be my choice. I like the Standard grill and the '40 headlights.

10. I agree. I have a 39 STD and wanted to change it to a deluxe. Now I would not change to a 39 deluxe. The 39 std design has grown on me. There seems to be a lot of 40 standards and 39 deluxe s and not as many 39 Standards. It seems that cars go in cycles. A car nobody wants becomes popular after most of them are destroyed.

Cash for clunkers may make my 89 Olds a valuable car someday. LOL

I think Ryan's avatar is making the 39 and 38 Fords more desirable.

11. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

The 39' & 40' Fords, are the cars to have.....
    Next are: 55' - 57' Chevy's.
    These vehicles are the ones that will always hold they're value in the "Regular production automobile" class.

12. As much as I like '40s given the option I would go with the '39. I just like the little stuff like tail lights etc better on the '39. I guess I a not a real Ford guy as my opinion is that the '39 is a better looking car.

13. Southfork

Southfork

'39 Deluxe for me all the way. 40 Standard next. Then '40 deluxe. But they're all nice.

Is the '39 Coupe sheet metal identical to the '40 Coupe, such that you could make one body out of the two? If so, I may do that, putting a '39 coupe top on a '40 that got its roof damaged in Roundy-round racing back in the day.

14. dt50chev

dt50chev

I like the '39 coupe the best. Although if I were to ever have one I would be awfully tempted to chop and drop it late 40s taildragger style custom.

15. Model T1

Model T1

Damned we have good taste ! :DMake that a 39 Ford deluxe and a 56 Chevy Bel Air.:)

16. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Thirty-Nine hands-down!

17. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I can like both. Can't I?? ... but I'll take a '39 :D

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Refe,r Bob Drake offers all of the parts for the 39 head light conversion. Other companies also offer modified designs. The head lights fit without modifications.

19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

50 Fraud's 40 convert top looks great! Should make sitting in the back seat with the top up much more fun.

20. Mertaw

Mertaw

'40 is the epitome of the Art Deco Era and the '39 was a just progression to perfection in the '40. Then again I may be biased as well!

21. S.F.

S.F.

40 standerd

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Me too. I once preferred ALL the details of the '40 DeLuxe, and I still like the headlights/windshield/dash best. A friend pointed out the difference in the shape of the "prow" from a '39 Dlx to a '40 Dlx. Edsel Ford and Bob Gregorie were both boat guys, and the shape of the '39 Dlx nose is clearly modeled after the prow of a boat (carried over on the '40 Std). The '40 Dlx was stretched out to a completely vertical leading edge with much squarer corners at the top and bottom. They're really the same length, but the Dlx was made to LOOK longer by squaring off the top and bottom of the prow.

I decided he was right; now I prefer the softer, curvier nose of the original design, and that's what I'm using on my '40. With broccoli. Different grille, though...

Thanks! I, too, think that the '40 convert is the ugly duckling of that model year, and that's the reason I started this project. If I had to stick with a stock top design, I'd take the '39 too.

I hope I won't sell it soon, either. It'll only happen if I completely burn up my retirement funds before it's done.

23. hotrod-steve

hotrod-steve
    from canada

How about mixing the two? When I was growing up in the 60s,a guy had one of these in my hood and it left such an impression I just had to build one. 39 body&hood,40 standard front end.I have always loved the headlight bezels,a true work of art!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  24. 40mel

40mel
    from SoCal

I always have liked 40 standards, but deluxe's turn my crank also, I have a standard coupe and a deluxe sedan. I'm happy.

25. Please forgive the fudging answer, but in my opinion the '39-40 Mercury is better looking than either Ford.

-The Merc has four inches more wheelbase from the cowl forward, correcting what Gregorie always considered the Ford's greatest styling flaw, its stubby doghouse.

- The horizontal grille slats refine and widen the car's front POV.

If I'm not allowed to take the Mercury, then '40 Deluxe I guess.

Lots of factory photos here:

MCG Spotter’s Guide to the 1937-40 Ford and Mercury | Mac's Motor City Garage

[​IMG]

26. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks Bill for the tour. Until this thread began I thought the 1940 Ford deluxe was what I liked better. Owning a 39 deluxe for over 35 years has nothing to do with it. Now after all of these comparisons, it's the 1939deluxe Ford I like best. The Mercury coupe is too bulky in the top and window area.

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's a neat guide. The pictures make the differences very clear.

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

29. '39 Tudor Deluxe all the way! The headlights are the best part for me. However, the grille, dash and shifter are just as cool. A black one is on my "have to own someday" list.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Put me down for a '40 standard.