Register now to get rid of these ads!

coke bottel window tint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayne421, Jun 3, 2012.

1. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Dose anyone know how i can give my glass that old coke bottel green look is there a tint out ther that somebody makes or sells .:cool:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Buy all new glass.

3. Or you can buy window tint that coor as well, I think you have to buy a custom tint.

I am having glass cut for the doors in my stude that is coke bottle color, I have all the original tinted glass except for the door glass, and it is the funny coke bottle tint.

4. daddio211

daddio211

The glass they use in heavy construction vehicles (print end leaders, cranes, etc.) is extra strong and has that color. I used it for the windows in my A Tudor and loved it.

5. I'll ad my own silly question here instead of starting a new thread.....Is there a film applied type of tint available that is gradient?
    I mean starts heavy at top decreasing in darkness as it goes down[like a sunshade window]?

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

You should be able to get that kind from your local tint shop... I know they have the chrome to black fading film, but not sure about the other.

7. brandon

brandon

Ive got green on my coupe...over ac green glass. Check your local tint shop

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

The best way to tint your windows is with actual tinted glass not that hookey plastic film tint that peels scratches and shows bubbles underneath.

Any and all flat glass in your ride can be easily replaced with your choice of actual tinted flat safety (laminated) glass.
    The last time I replaced glass was in about '96 and at that time regular laminated glass was $10 per square foot while tinted glass ranged from $12 to $15 /foot. Your local glass shop can supply whatever color you want (they will have samples for you to judge/compare)

Personally, I like the bronze tint as it gives a rich golden hue when observed from the exterior.

Figure that every side window is (less than) 2 square feet, doing the math you'll find that at ~$25 per window, laminated automotive tints are inexpensive and best off they don't scratch the first time you roll the window down like that garbage/shit/film you glue on.

jmho

Clear · Gray · White · Bronze · 28% Bronze · Green <table class="box_w_outline" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="600"> <tbody><tr> <td class="footertext" align="right" valign="middle" width="39">Clear</td> <td align="left" height="50" valign="middle" width="212">[​IMG]</td> <td width="38"> </td> <td class="footertext" align="right" valign="middle" width="82">28% Bronze </td> <td align="left" valign="middle" width="191">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="footertext" align="right" valign="middle">Gray</td> <td align="left" valign="middle">[​IMG]</td> <td> </td> <td class="footertext" align="right" valign="middle">Bronze</td> <td align="left" valign="middle">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="footertext" align="right" valign="middle">White</td> <td align="left" valign="middle">[​IMG]</td> <td> </td> <td class="footertext" align="right" valign="middle">Green</td> <td align="left" valign="middle">[​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table>

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Good lord, who did you have install your tint? ;):D

Window film is decent if you use a good brand and have someone install it that knows what they're doing. Just my thoughts.

10. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I 2nd that!

11. Contact Chris Blattie here on the HAMB.

I bought some glass for my coupe in "Solex" Green from him, which is that color or very close.

Murph

12. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Summitracing has it and they can send it to you. Blue for me
    [​IMG]

13. daddio211

daddio211

X3. I've tinted lots of windows and even 25 years later they still look perfect. Tint is just like any other auto part. If its cheap crap or the installer doesn't know what he's doing the end result will suck.

14. moefuzz

moefuzz

Not X4,

For the same or probably much less than the cost of cheapo film you can have the real thing and it doesn't scratch or bubble in time irregardless of whether you manage to find a decent installer all the while wondering if and when it will bubble (and it will get scratched) 6 months or a 2 years down the road.

Why? Why would anybody in their right mind pay more for cheap film to be applied to old windows when they can get all new laminated glass for 10 or $12 per square foot (usually around $100 to $150 for a 6 or 8 windowed car) from the local glazier/glass shop?

If the glass was curved then I would say film it but in this case it's just flat glass and it's cheaper to buy brand new in your choice of color.

As a matter of fact, I was able to buy both front and rear window rubbers, rear quarter rubbers and 7 all new tinted windows for my '41 coupe for about $275. Rear quarter windows were privacy glass cut to size of 1 1/2 square per ($20 each). Windshield, vent and doors were 60% bronze and all were cut to size for $120 total.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I should probably clarify that I don't think replacing the windows is a bad idea at all. I'm not really familiar with laminated glass; is that the stuff where it's two pieces of glass put together with the coloring in between? I only ask because I have seen that stuff go bad before, and that's not something you can just strip off.

Also, as far as cost is concerned, a good tint shop should only charge about $150 to tint a whole car, and they should offer a lifetime warranty with it. If you buy your glass and pay the $150, you still have to pay someone to install it, or go through the trouble yourself.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I personally don't think there's a wrong answer.

16. moefuzz

moefuzz

There are no "ifs" "ands"or hoping/praying that the doofuss behind the counter does or doesn't know how to make film stick 6 or 12 month's down the road when you install limo grade/quality glass at $10 or even $15 per square foot cut to size. Heck, regular laminated flat glass can usually be had for less than $10 per foot at any Honest to Goodness glass shop. Just my thoughts

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

18. moefuzz

moefuzz

Laminated glass is what Ford has used since 1928. It's automotive glass with plastic in-between. Pick your color and go with it. Should be common knowledge.

And factory installed glass can start to de-laminate after 50 or 60 years but that's probably 8 times longer than a film will last and 59 years longer than it will take to get the first scratch in a film after you roll the window up/down a few dozen times.

Many cars including Model A's and 40's Ford's did indeed have a slight color/tint to help reflect heat and keep the cabin cooler. My '41 came from the factory with a very slight golden/bronze (including the windshield) hence the reason I went with a bronze tint although I took it up a notch.

Just my thoughts, If people aren't confident in installing glass then what are they doing building hotrods.

Installing glass is one of the easiest parts of building or restoring a car.
    The only 'Specialized' tools you'll need are a strong sting or cord and a jar of Vaseline to use as a lubricant.
    Installing the rear window in the coupe took 15 minutes tops. Front split windshield was a little more tricky and took 45 minutes with just myself and a helper to hold the glass while I worked the Vaseline coated cord around the window rubber.

The vent windows take 5 minutes each using window tape (you can usually get a couple feet for free from your local glass shop)

Ford rear 1/4 windows install in ten minutes by pulling the 5 or 6 screws from the inside trim.
    New rubber gasket is only a few dollars ($10 for both windows?) and is always a good idea as almost every old car can be resealed/detailed with the advent of new gaskets/rubbers and window tape.

For what it's worth, rear slider windows were popular in the 60's/70's/80's for pick up trucks.

The salesmen at the glass shop would charge people an hours shop rate for something that takes me 10 or 15 minutes including pushing out the old window from the inside (you can "un-install a slider at picknpull in 2 or 3 minutes with only a stick to release the seal and the use of your leg and back muscles).

Glass installation is especially easy on the old cars we work on because most all of the glass is regular automotive laminated flat glass. ... Even curved windshields can be installed in minutes if you take care not to apply unnecessary force at the corners.

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

Other than basic hand tools this is all you need to instal most auto glass.

[​IMG]

A hook tool comes in handy. Avoid using the pointy end and instead help pull your rubber thru using the curvature of the neck.

http://www.aegistools.com/catalog/Manual-Tools-Equipment/Wilde-Hook-Tool/
    [​IMG]

The hook tool can probably be found on ebay for 5 or 6 bucks. Some people use a small plastic spatula but I find the hook tool does one heck of a lot more than just 'help' with installing glass.

The video below is quite basic but it gets the point across and it shows the exact same rubber seal that is used in most 30 thru 70's cars and trucks. After removal, wrap your Vaseline coated cord around and into the rubber gasket and apply masking tape to hold it at the corners. You'll want to overlap the cord at the bottom of the rubber with the ends hanging down. Then place the window/rubber into the bottom lip of the window opening. Start pulling the cord thru the bottom and massage the cord/rubber around the corners to help avoiding ripping the rubber. Have a helper gently hold the glass in place. Do Not Push The Glass! -allow the cord to pull the rubber and window into place. Once you know what you are doing this will all take place in less than 10 minutes.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hW-2PD-hcCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

That's why you do your research before you go anywhere; always go to a reputable shop that offers a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the history lesson (I swear that's not sarcasm, I honestly didn't know).

A little demeaning, don't you think? I can understand why some might not want to do it. When every dime counts, it would suck to scratch or drop the glass while working with it and then be up the proverbial creek of excrement without a means of propulsion.

I dunno, I'd much rather wire a car.

21. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

You can also get lexan in a green tint. Looks just like glass.

Elwood

22. Solex is factory green tint if your looking for a few shades darker it is available, but has to be tempered for automotive use

23. Judd

Judd

Attached Files:

• NQ1.JPG
      NQ1.JPG
      File size:
      152.5 KB
      Views:
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to agree with the no window tint gang and agree with the use tinted glass.

I don't care if it's top quality tint put on by the best pro out there, it will always scratch and show flaws.

A little grit in the window rubber etc and the grit cuts lines in the tint.

I have never seen a tint job look good long term like tinted glass will.

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

if you use green tinted windows then that means you will have to paint your car yellow (if it's not yellow already)

26. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

This is perfect .that's the old coke bottel green I want is this safty glass or tint

27. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Hey judd them Windows look great I was thinking about red plexiglass but I figured the red interior would be too much with red Windows