Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hollywood in color, circa 1948

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

The place wasn't exactly crawling with Fords, was it? I'm talking about on the drive. Wayno

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

It doesn't seem real when you come across color photos of footage such as this....

Thank you for posting!

4. Rikster

Rikster

That was really great.
    Thanks for posting!

5. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Great footage, and thanks for posting this! Wish I had a time machine...but this video clip is pretty close.

6. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Very cool... I was hoping the drive would take us by Rita Hayworth's place. :D

7. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I cant believe the quality of that footage! It looks like it could have been filmed yesterday, except for the cars and clothing.

I also loved the old stop lights!

8. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thanks for posting.
    Just a FYI...Per Wikipedia, June Bride (which appears on the billboard at the 1:08 mark) was released October 29th, 1948, so your timeframe of 1948 is correct. On a side note, it marked the screen debut of (then 16 year old) Debbie Reynolds.

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool video--my grandparents lived there from late 30's until 1958 and I used to go visit them alot--they took me to swimming lessons at the Ambassador Hotel in 1947 and I still have many pieces of Monterey furniture they bought at Barker Bros in early 1941-always loved to go visit there as a kid and look at the old photos from time to time.

10. silverdome

silverdome

11. Great color and visual, I used to go to LA for vacations in the early sixties with my family. Disney , Knotts, Bev Hills and Wilshire; where we stayed at the Royal something. Cool different than moraka...Huh J ?

12. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Very cool. The Hollywood Blvd/Highland area really hasn't changed that much. I also watched the Farmer's Market video by the same guy. I was there, last week, and snapped this photo of their Gilmore gas station set up, they have in their parking lot.

Attached Files:

13. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Another shot inside the office:)

Attached Files:

14. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

So cool!

All those places are still there with exception of the Hollywood Hotel on the corner of Hollywood and Orange drive, and the first building seen with the billboard atop it.

That building use to be just where my head is in this picture below --at the corner of Hollywood & Vine. It burnt down two years ago.

I guess not everything old in LA gets torn down.

[​IMG]

15. I grew up in Los Angeles as a kid. We lived off of Irolo (819 So. Irolo) near 9th St. My grandmother was a switchboard operator at the Ambassador Hotel. My father worked for the studios then. We moved to Burbank in 1962. So much of what I saw in the video I do remember as a kid driving all over with my parents. And... riding the electric bus and street cars, too! Thanks for the memories!

16. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

One day somebody my take enough of film put together a 1940's Google
    Earth trip of Hollywood in color. Old film is back in time travel that I enjoy!
    Thanks for the ride!

17. OLLIN

OLLIN

Awesome. Yeah it does look pretty much the same without all the old cars.. Hollywood and highland is way different now. There's a metro station and that whole huge complex.

18. deto

deto

seeing it in color and knowing its authentic makes it bitter sweet. It seems even more tangible, making it that much harder to deal with the fact that those times are never coming back...

19. Pscott

Pscott

Always enjoy the old travel movies, even better in color! I am puzzled by the almost total absence of red cars, what's up with that?

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The traffic signals with the semafores are cool.

21. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Curtis Hanson used a collection of vintage postcards like this as inspiration for the production design of L.A. Confidential.
    Hey all you guys that like this kind of stuff should check out a film called "Crime Wave" directed by Andre De Toth. Great film noir set in L.A. and has a very young Charles Bronson driving a '32 roadster hotrod. Amazing film!

22. Gaters

Gaters

All what AJ said but he didn't tell you all the roads are left over from the 40's too.

23. weez

weez

I saw a clip of Downtown LA in '46-'48 recently that had a few hot rods in it. I'll see if I can find it again-

24. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Amazing film footage. I notice that there are a lot fewer people on the streets and everything (except the air) looks cleaner.

I think one reason I love old cars so much is they remind me of simpler times.

25. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I worked for a parking lot company in the mid sixties, one of the places I worked was the Cal Fed building at Hollywood and Highland which was where the Hotel Hollywood was. Now the high rise Cal Fed building is gone and replaced. I used to ride the street car to Hollywood to go to the movies, Egyptian Theater was one of the shows I went to. Some of the places have changed but many of the buildings are still there.

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

That was cool, thanks! My favorite era for sure!

27. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Times these days can be simpler. You just gotta choose simplicity. (for example, I no longer carry a cell phone. Considering that I'm in IT that was a bit of a challenge for me.... but totally worth it.

Things in the 40s would have been a LOT more complicated than we idealize them to be. Given the choices we make, we have it pretty damn good now in good old cell phone free 1994.

28. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Awesome footage , when are one of these mechanical geniuses here on the hamb going to build a time machine so we can enjoy it first hand!

29. weez

weez

30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My parents were born and raised in E.L.A and that video was their life. I showed it to my mom and she can see herself back in 40s L.A. My parents, uncles and aunts all told me that they missed the 40s. God bless the greatest generation. The boomers really screwed everything up.