Register now to get rid of these ads!

Devin Bodied Cars---any Photos Out There?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MCINK, Feb 8, 2008.

1. colaizzi

colaizzi
    from Dayton, OH

Still have the Devin? If so where is it? Bob

2. Kreg

Kreg
    from PA

I hope this works, it's my first post here. This is my Devin special and I'm trying to track down it's history. I just bought it on ebay from someone in Florida. It was built on a 1953 VW chassis. I was told it once had a Corvair motor installed and the paint was originally a dark metallic blue. Any more info. would be great. Thanks, Kreg

There are some more pictures on my website.
    http://www.devinspecial.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Nice devin. It looks like my buddy Neil Reincaches old Devin.

4. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Originally street titled in Indiana in 1959. Restored by Jim McHenry with later work done by Lalinsky Engineering. 1940 Ford frame with 9" Ford rear axle and solid front axle from period; 4-bar suspension front and rear. Boxed and reinforced frame. Lalinsky built 297 cid Chevy with Hilborn injection - extremely reliable & powerful no-expense spared motor. Vertex magneto. Accusump. Close ratio ST10 transmission. Halon fire system. Engine has 8 events since being built - in excellent condition. Ford 11' x 3 1/2" drum brakes. Steel wheels.

Attached Files:

5. Kreg

Kreg
    from PA

Your right Uniquecoaches, it was Neil's car. I was able to connect with him and just got the previous owners info. Thanks for the help, Kreg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  6. locdrib

locdrib

Hi guys
    metalshapes and etceterinidr have got the essence. I am attaching a doc file giving up to date URLs of the Ermini. I hope. In 1955, Tony Pompeo imported a 1100 cc type 357 Ermini. Jimmy Orr drove it in '55 or '56 SCCA Class G races, without blistering success. In 1957, owned by Bill Dickson and Bill Bunce, it was raced by Lew Florence. By 1958 it was transferred to Tom Fox, who continued to race it in the Pac NW. I took many pix of it in Wash State.
    While still in California, Bill Devin made molds from this very tipo 357, in '55 or '56. Anything purporting to be a "1957 or 1959 Devin Ermini" should look EXACTLY like the pix in the URL list, or like Clliff Reuter's fiberglass body. Since Devin made other styles of fiberglas body, be careful. Also, the Devin was modified in shape for various uses. Except for the Devin SS, a "Devin" is just a body shell - not a car. A modern vintage 1990 so called "Ermini", with a metal modern shape vaguely like the real Ermini/Devin, but with Alfa Spider suspension, drivetrain, instruments, and a square tube space frame is circulating the US. It has not a single component from the real 357 Ermini, but is usually entered as one, or as a "Devin Ermini". It is a poster child for the "air car".
    Ed Buck :)

Attached Files:

7. locdrib

locdrib

The air car "Devin Ermini" not only has no part of an Ermini, or accurate recreation of any part of an Ermini, but it is aluminum bodied, not fiberglas, and has little resemblance to Devin, either.
    locdrib

8. Kreg

Kreg
    from PA

Anyone with a Devin out there, I'm starting a registry.
    Please follow this link and hit New Devin Registry.
    http://www.devinspecial.com
    Thanks,
    Kreg

9. Jim Glassford

Jim Glassford
    from Michigan

From my Understanding, AK Miller built a lot of the Devins in California. I have the 427 he won the Pikes Peak climb. My Uncle purchased it from AK Miller back in the 60's as a potential street rod but never did much with it. It is in my parents pole barn waiting for me to work on. It still has the 427 supplied to AK by Ford. I was told it came from the Arizona Proving Grounds fot the race. It has the four speed manual with the 1963 Corvette IRS.

10. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

I was wondering if this car would be in here, it's the only Devin I know of. Shows where my interest is.

11. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

15 years ago there was a Devin SS outside of Willow Creek, CA. I saw it once then, didn't have much interest at the time, other than the name. I would bet it's probably still there, although i could never find my way back to where it was. It belonged to a friend of a friend at the time that I probably haven't seen for 13 years.

Devin

12. noboD

noboD

Welcome to the HAMB. Pics sure would be nice. Don't you think now would be a good time to get this one going again?

13. 4devins

4devins
    from california

I have four Devins, and the Devin medallion you have looks nothing like the ones I have. I was fortunate enough to meet Bill and got to know him pretty well. He gave me two medallions to make certain I had enough for the cars. The Devin I bought in about 73 has a few differences from the one I bought years later at Pomona swap. Bill D told me my early car was one of the first 5 out of the mold. There are at least 4 big differences. FYI

14. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I had an opportunity to buy one a few years ago, but couldn't put together the cash. Wish I had.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There used to be a black one that ran at Westwood in the early sixties, quite successfully. FE powered IIRC.

16. 1957devinspecial

1957devinspecial
    from denver

JamesG, That was my yellow Devin here in Denver. Website: devinspecials.com has it and many more Devins. Also featured devinspecials has even more photos of mine and other Devins. Warren Harrison (1957devinspecial)

17. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur

Is Anyone Still Making The DEVIN Bodies For Sale???

Speedster likes this.
  18. Toma

Toma

I built this car in 1960 while I was in High School and used it as my only means of transprotation till 1965.

Attached Files:

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I was under the impression that the Devin bodies came from a mould that was "adjustable" for length to accomodate wheelbases from Crosley to Corvette to early Ford to 50s Caddy etc.

20. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I have a bunch of Devin sales literature. Any one interestd? pm me! Make me an offer!

21. boldventure

boldventure

From Monterey Historics 2011.........
    2 different cars. 1st is #77 the rest are #22

Attached Files:

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Circa 1963 California. Devins are cool I like the odd stuff.

Pat

Attached Files:

23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ak Miller killin' Pike's Peak. Ford powered.

Attached Files:

24. CRX Lee

CRX Lee
    from Union, KY

I was just recommended to this site and Devin thread and found a picture of my own car here (post #5 by metalshapes, yellow car in the lower left corner). I have spoken to a couple Devin owners who have posted here but have read about more now. I am specifically intrigued by the dark car in the first post as it has the uncommon long hood scoop that so far I have only seen on mine and one other unfinished body. My car has spent the last 13 years in the barn in the photo but will be coming out soon.

I think I am now only a few months away from starting my Devin restoration and am doing some research for the project. My car was a drag racer at some levle and has a tech inspection sticker from the 1964 US Fuel & Gas Championships in Bakersfield, CA. Some internet research has provided a bit of background on the event but I would really like to find an entry form or race results from that event. Anyone know where such archival info could be found?

My car is a 100 inch wheelbase early '50s Mopar frame with a 327 Chevy engine and a 3 speed manual transmission. The car was raced then titled later in Texas for the street in 1967. I'd love to find anything about it's drag racing history.

25. noboD

noboD

Cool beans, love the looks of Devins. I hope someone here can give you info on your car. Welcome to the HAMB.

26. willwilly

willwilly

Attached Files:

27. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

What's a good price for an unused devin body in good condition? Found one

28. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

This Devin ad was in a 1960 issue of "On the Grid"

[​IMG]

29. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

How long were those built ? Always did like the look !!

4TTRUK

30. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

Here is a nice 1958 Devin SS. (Photos taken at Lime Rock Park.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]