Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the Hot Rod scene like around North Atlanta GA???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 22, 2005.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

anyone from the area or anywhere within a couple hours of there? Doraville area maybe. whats the hot rod status around there? shops? shows? hangouts? just wanna get a feel of what the area is like hot rod wise.

thanks

2. You thinking of moving Mike? [​IMG]

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

This latest dumping of snow, the cold weather, and the bitchy neighbor musta finally broken our boy!

Long ass drive to the next Hot Rod Rumble for sure! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

the neighbor is the only reason i want to stay. i don't want those fockers to think they won! i am damn sick and tired of the cold. never did like it. i was in the shop today for an hour and i could'nt get my airtools to work cause the lines were froze! **** this!!! i'd move to Arizona to hang with my bud Jeem but there are no GM plants in that neighborhood i could transfer to.

don't look so sad Mongo. i'm only an hour away now and you only come over about twice a year. i'd prolly see you more if i moved cause you'd have to spend at least a week if you came down to visit in Georgia.

5. I live in Duluth about 20 minutes north or Doraville, near Norcross- I wouldn't say there is much of a scene. Plenty of people into old cars.

PBRmeasap lives here too. The swap meet Brad54 puts on every first Sunday of the month is cool. It is about 45 minutes north of Doraville on 85. This coming up one will be the 4th one I think - it is getting bigger each time.

The Atlanta Road Kings, from Marietta, are a serious traditional club. They put on Dizie Fried and help out Brad with the swap. Very cool guys. A couple of those guys are on here. DueceV8 for one. I am sure he could point you in the right direction.

PBRasap has run into a hot rod club called the reanimators.

I here there is a hot rod shop in Doraville, somethng like Mikes Hot Rod shop, I assume he builds high dollar stuff.

Lamar Walden Speed shop his in Doraville - he is an old 409 GOD and drag racer. He the unltimate engine building shop off the buford Highway. Very cool place to visit.

Then there is Hog Mtn Dave and his drag crew up in Hog Mtn. Very cool guys that like big blocks and beer drinkin.

Me and PBRasap have projects in the gargae up here in Duluth.

then every weekend between march and october there are about 4 cruise ins you can stop by all over the place. Some are way out in the country and have some cool old dudes that attend. I like to take a ride to some of those and go look around.

That's all I know around here -

why do you ask???

6. oh yeah, my house is for sale and I have already broke my neighbors in. nar a complaint and I keep my radio loud.

7. [ QUOTE ]
    This latest dumping of snow, the cold weather, and the bitchy neighbor musta finally broken our boy!

[/ QUOTE ] The snow alone could do it! I got out of work at 4am this morning and there was at least 4" of snow on my car.Cleaned that off to drive home on really bad snow covered roads.When i got up this afternoon there was about 6" more on it, winter sucks ass.

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

[ QUOTE ]
    oh yeah, my house is for sale and I have already broke my neighbors in. nar a complaint and I keep my radio loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

There ya go, Mikey! [​IMG]

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]

why do you ask???

[/ QUOTE ]

cause Michigan is too damn cold in the winter and i can't get anything done.

why you sellin your place? i need a BIG shop/garage cause i always have way too many projects going on.

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

thanks for the info Tudor. sounds like an alright area. more than what is goin on around here.

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Uh oh...this means there will soon be a GGB division...you can take a Gay Bitch outta Michigan, but ya can't take the Gay outta the Bitch!

You Georgia boys won't know what hit ya! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Slide

Slide

There's GM plant in Arlington, TX (Dallas-Fort Worth area). You could transfer there and then you have THEM!, Coolows, and Chupacabras right there. Plus a bunch of "unaffiliated" rodders.

Stop by on yer way to the Roundup and check it all out. [​IMG]

13. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    There's GM plant in Arlington, TX (Dallas-Fort Worth area). You could transfer there and then you have THEM!, Coolows, and Chupacabras right there. Plus a bunch of "unaffiliated" rodders.

Stop by on yer way to the Roundup and check it all out. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno if I could live THAT far from my parents [​IMG] [​IMG] At least they could DRIVE to GA in a day [​IMG]

14. Now that I think about it , I have a cousin that lives in that area.

15. phattpat

phattpat
    from Armada, MI

My folks live up in the NW metro Atlanta area, in Kennesaw. They are always going to weekend shows up there, and have a few small shops close to 'em. Not sure about clubs down there, though. That area is a bit of a drive from the GM plant down there, however. I lived in Buckhead (north central Atlanta) for about 5 years before moving to this freakin' state... I'd love to go back, too! Traffic sucks donkey butt though, lemme tell ya.

16. hatch

hatch
    from house

More importantly...Big Eds barbecue...first exit off the eastbound loop...Terrill mills road (actually in Marietta)....cars are meaningless with barbecue like this!!!....Southern hospitality at its finest...try the blackened chicken. No alcohol served, but you can go across the street, pick up a six pack, and bring it back to your table.

17. TINGLER

TINGLER

The Accelerators are from somewhere in GA.
    Atlanta is about 4 hours from my house....so you got the Greazy Hubcapz within about 4 hours. Theres plenty of shows in eastern Tennessee.

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Atlanta is a pretty good place.
    I live up Interstate 20 from it...accross the state line about another 60 miles.

Couple swap meets and the usual stuff.

Close to Charlotte NC......and the speedway. The speedway is the site of Charlotte AutoFair......a swap meet that's larger than Hershey or Carlisle.

Atlanta has a few Interstates running to/thru it. Makes travel quick. Not far to the hills of TN ( Knoxville NSRA and Pigeon Forge TN......lots of car events )........close to Daytona and the beaches.

Good mix of folks.......it's NOT like the movies with the Georgia sheriffs...... There's rednecks to high tecs. All colors of people.....white, black, red and yellow...fairly tolerant of each other.

Rust is not a big factor here as in other areas. Lots of land.....acres for sale....barns and farms to explore... [​IMG]

Great Bar-B-Que........good moonshine....and beautiful women...OH well...you have a woman......you can still have the BBQ and the moonshine [​IMG]

19. your welcome - if your looking for a place with a big shop, you'll have to be out of town where land is reasonalbe - out interstate 85 near hog mountain, or way up 75 near Kennesaw, north of Marietta, acworth etc.

Doraville is near the perimeter and once you get near that, land can go through the roof. In the good part, an old 3 bdr brick ranch built in the 50's on a 1/2 acre can go for 350K easy.

The bad part of Doraville is outside the perimeter so land there may go for a little cheaper. Or if you are looking to start up a shop, there are tons of mechanics shops on the Buford highway near the perimeter(I-285 and I-85). These shops are mixed in with lots of burrito stands, seedy strip clubs, and little blinger car lots.

I am selling my house because I am off of the Buford Highway about 15 miles north of Doraville. The cop in my neighborhood just sold his house because he was worried some gang members were going to poison his dogs. When he told me that, I started thinking it may be time to relocate. I had no idea there were three gangs living in my neighborhood.

I am moving just a little further north where I can find some land and a bigger house or really a house with a bigger garage my wife likes. It aint' terrible where I am at right now, its just a good time to do it since we are not forced to move, we can hang around till we get our price.

You will also like little 5 points inside Atlanta, sort of near Virginia Highlands and Decatur. This area is good for clubs and cool bars. The Star Bar is cool ass place to see some Johny Cash type music.

Geez - the Atlanta Hamb scene is about to explode - oldcarpilot is moving here, PBRasap came down here.

That is all we need is some more traffic.

20. The weekend before the nats in Knoxville Tenn.,,,is the Johnny Paycheck Memorial BBQ at Rusty Streamliners shop in Canon,Ga,,,,,,,,lotta Georgia,South Carolina and Florida guys and gals show up there and a few Hambers,,,it's gettin' bigger!

A lotta cruse-ins in Ga. and South Carolina with in a hours ride from the area you are lookin' at! [​IMG] HRP

21. chopped

chopped

Moved from Det. to the Atl. area 10 yrs. ago. 45 min. south of airport, 10 acres with a house that needed lots of work, $15.000.00. You can find them if you want. Cars and cruises everywhere. 500 or so cars, thats where I met the people who let me in on where everything was. South is cheaper, the drive sucks no matter where you live. Started to get cold ,sold the house for $125.000.00 and moved to Fl. last year. Good deal for me and the buyer.

22. phattpat

phattpat
    from Armada, MI

Ooh-- the best part about Georgia is the bi-annual Moultrie Swap Meet in Moultrie (southern GA). They use the local airport for this thing! Absolutely enormous. Acres and acres (probably over 40??) of parts and cars... You literally can't see it all in one day.

23. Phil1934

Phil1934

A lot of things that don't get coverage. There was a car show yesterday at the antique mall. I passed a Packard and '39 on the perimeter but didn't know why until the 6:00 news. Paper does a section on Th or Fr.

24. k9racer

k9racer

GM saturn plant just outside {south} of nashville tennesse.Several hamb members in that area..

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

"you can take a Gay Bitch outta Michigan, but ya can't take the Gay outta the Bitch!You Georgia boys won't know what hit ya!"

Y'all ain't never seen Deliverance, have ya boy?

Anyway...
    I grew up in Michigan/Ohio, moved to Florida in '96, moved to Jefferson, GA alomst two years ago. I LOVE it here!

Don't know much about the whole "scene" thing, but there's a ton of car stuff to do, everywhere.

Jefferson is about 55 miles NE of Atlanta, on I-85. In the morning rush hour, I'm about an hour from the Doraville GM plant.
    Land up here is pretty decent, but get here quick, because it's starting to rise. We're immediately off the I-85 corridore, though, so that's where the growth is starting to follow. If you went a few miles off I-85, or I-985, it's still really affordable.

On the third Saturday of every month in the summer, there is a cruise in Canton (NE side of Atlanta) that attracts over 450 cars, and that same night on the NW side in Braselton, there's the Year One cruise that has the same number of cars. Plus smaller cruises in other parts of the city. That isn't bad to have over 1,000 hot rods and old cars out at local cruises.
    The down side is that they're always out at the cruises, just sitting there! But at least they're here. And the shops it takes to support that kind of population.
    And like everyone else said--12 hours from Atlanta, and you can be ANYWHERE you'd ever want to go--Orlando, Chicago, Detroit, Charlotte, etc. etc. etc.
    C'mon down!
    -Brad

26. Gracie

Gracie

Atlanta sucks... come to Vegas...

27. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

ever think of NC? good weather and you could find a big shop for a good price in the right area. I'm going to check out a shop for $300 a month this week. Already has a 3 phase compressor and all.....
    Plus it's be really cool to have someone else around to talk custom stuff with besides luckystiffie.....

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    ever think of NC?

[/ QUOTE ]

except I don't think we have a GM plant for him to transfer to.

29. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    Atlanta sucks... come to Vegas...

[/ QUOTE ]

You really do love me don't you? [​IMG]

30. Go for it!
    I left milwaukee this fall, love the weather, not to mention calling back to milw when it snows up there and making fun of them!
    Don't know **** about the area, but have ran into alot of good people, and meet a lot of cool hambers. maybe one of these days i'll get a job and i'll buy you a beer.

Josh, your moving???????

Jeff