Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sanford Maine Dragway Reunion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiac Slim, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

OK folks listen up.. June 19 at the Sanford Maine airport there is going to be a car show put on by the Elks club for the local DARE program.. Also going to be a Sanford Dragway Reunion with some restored race cars from back in the day! The Rod Barons car club has built a replica of the timming tower even! Hell I'm gonna be there! If all goes well there will be photos/memorabillia etc etc
    Hope to see some of youz over the hill "speed farts" there!
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

2. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Extended weather forecast for June 19th is Sunny and warm. No rain in sight!!! See you there. Tom...

3. pitman

pitman

4. Dave50

Dave50

Anyone from Mass or southern NH going maybe hook up I am will to drive if someone wants to go

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Great memories of Sanford. I wish that all who participate have the best time possible. Funny how the names and cars flash through the brain when I think of those days!! Please, give us a post event report...with photos!!

6. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Yes indeed those were the days ! I can't recall too many names but the cars sure stayed with me.. I will try and take a few pics but I'm not a picture taker...
    I believe these pics were early 60s....The car on the right has been fully restored.
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

7. Don't recall the coupe but that orange sedan delivery in the background looks like Carl Carpenter's(Fiberglass Engineering out of Cochituate)40 with the blown Olds.Remember that car well because he bought it from a friend of mine(Ken Frederick who built the Iced T).Think it was a trade deal that included a couple of fiberglass T bodies.Ken used it to tow his B/R that Floyd Masters eventually got by trading his Latham blown 339" Chevy that was in his 60 Corvette to Ken which powered the Iced T. As an aside when Ken bought that delivery it only had 3,000 miles on it!Had been in storage since 1943!

Wish I could come out there this weekend but I have several pinstripers converging on my shop for an impromptu panel jam and to do up my friend Shane's daughter's truck.

My friend Dick Lindkvist,who just got back from his nearly 10,000 mile trip around the USA in his 33 Ford coupe will likely be there.He lives in Auburn.If you see him tell him I said hello and hopefully will be at the All Timer's bash in August with the Safari.

8. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Good luck with the reunion. Wish I could get back. Had many good times there with my "Headers of Haverhill " buddies. Thanks to "Cool Cars & Square Rollbars" I can still reminiss those days.

9. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

oldebob.... ya I hope it goes over well.. Indeed "the book" is awesome.. I have some 8mm movies of Sanford that I want to get on DVD.... Will post something if/when I do that project..

Safariknut... boy you've got good recall>> I have a hard time remember'n this morning!!!!I'm quite sure that I know Dick... Maine just ain't all that big and after a while you get to know/ or know about most everyone in the hot rod circle...

Pontiac Slim

10. I've known Dick since the late 50's;we used to do a bit of street racing back then in Massachusetts.He has several cars including a yellow T with graphics,a white Deuce roadster with flames and a couple of bikes;one of which Kelsey Martin and I painted for him in 1970.He also has an old helmet of mine I did back in the early 60's.Good people.

11. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Just got off the phone with one of the club members and I guess Dick is going to meet up with us...
    Seems like a lot of interest for this reunion but you know how that goes....
    Pointiac Slim

12. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

13. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

14. Thanks for those shots......................................

15. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Glad to do it. Hopefully someone else took more vehicle shots and will post...

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does someone have the old track record books? I wonder if my Lyndwood ran up there 1959-61?

17. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

man o man...had to miss this one....my pal with the twin h hudson went.....looks like a great show........hey pontiac did you meet up with my pal charlie?
    milltown......

18. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

that waz a great time ! Yep Charlie did track me down......Will spread the word.
    The last time I waz at that runway I was race'n and the year was 19 and 67.. By luck I won that day...
    Pontiac Slim

19. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

cool pontac..charlies a great guy man.....you doin 4th in woosta?

20. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Thanks for the great pics. Hope the Orange reunion can be blessed with equal weather Sept 11th. Both gatherings long overdue.

Ed Purinton

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great day and super turn out. Will post pictures soon. A big THANKS to the Rod Barons from all of us Strokers Hot Rod Club. We were very happy to be there, and look forward to next year.
    Baron
    [​IMG]

22. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Yes indeed the Red Barons did an outstanding job on this event and I also would like to take this time to tell them that theie efforts were appreciated
    Pontiac Slim

23. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Na... there's this new event in Palmer Ma that we're going to TRY and get to.. Put on by a sketchy group but heard it was a good time!
    Pontiac Slim

24. indygasser

indygasser

my dad and a couple buddies ran there back in 49 50,51? had a red 32 ford coupe form Auburn,

25. Dave50

Dave50

Had a good time was nice to meet slim and pat Thanks for letting me sit in your car slim gave me a couple ideas on my chop. It was also good to talk to gil from NH great guy and very cool car. My friend Tyler and my son had a great time cant wait for the Palmer show wish i could have my car done.Hope to cya boys there. Will post some pics the boy took asap

26. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey same here.. it is good to yap with people in person for sure.. If I'd thought quick enough you could have taken the coupe for a spin (no hot laps)..
    I let a couple guys do that! Gives them even more ideas as what not to do ie stuff I did!!!
    Hebron Pines Campground In Hebron Maine Aug 20/21 Rod run mostly old sch real deal stuff and people.. Put on by Downeast Street Rods Consider this an invite.. I'm usally there Fri Sat Sunday
    All HAMB folks are invited ! If you need info just send a pm
    Pontiac Slim

27. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

cause pontian is maine rodding.......

28. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

hey thanks.... I alwaz thought thats the way it supose to be... You recall the night we met?
    Pontiac Slim

29. Dave50

Dave50

Got some pics to post but the boy must not have pushed buttton on half of the ones he took :rolleyes: Enjoy what we got and slim he didnt push button on yours :(

Attached Files:

30. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

sure do pontiac.....glad we did..yer a great guy...