Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs R&C, Wineland, & Shoebox Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. geemann51

geemann51

I have this very copy at arms reach (thanks to Silva), A must for a SBF fan, though some of the ideas are a little dreamy for my taste, a consemate reference for sure. I did not know we had lost Lynn recently, a fitting tribute indeed.

3. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm not a big SBF fan but you know, you can probably find EVERYTHING in that issue to get the juices flowing.

Thanks for the history lesson.

4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Got it. Thats a must have for the shoebox owners especially for the younger guys coming along.

5. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a 49 2dr sedan the other day,I think I may have to go look at it

6. flathead fred

flathead fred

My god I have to have that magazine. I have only a few dozen of the little mags, and this is not one of them. I loooooove shoeboxes!!!

7. RAY With

RAY With

The 49 ford was my first car to hot rod. With the purchase of aluminum heads,2 carb intake and some headers I was well on my way. In 50 or 51 I did myfirst transplant using a cadillac OHV. It was awesome in comparison to the flatty. In the 50's the choice was cadillac-Olds and red ram hemi. All of our hotrods back then were std. transmission and at that time my choice was a Lasalle. Ansen provided most of the adapters back then which made transplants feasible.I still have a place in the old heart for the shoe box.

8. I have that issue! A lot of the same grill and taillight treatments have been done to death on the 49-51 Ford and Mercs (and the ebay prices for some of those ppoular parts reflect it), posting those pages may help somebody think outside the shoebox (get it, shoe-box?!?!? I crack myself up) and try something different.

9. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

man those cats werent afraid to try anything. I love it. some of them go a little too far. but hey, someones got to try it for the first time. i absolutely love most of the trim swaps.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd have thought there would have been more chop tops in an article like that.

anybody know if that Bailon hardtop still at the Oakland Museum??

11. jerseymike

jerseymike

boy it must have been great building cars back then when everything was available at the dealer or local junk yard. your options would be unlimited!

12. Jaker

Jaker

awesome post, thanks!

I think Paul Richard's (no relation) convert on the top of page 33 RULES

the side trim (54 buick wagon?) looks perfect

13. froghawk

froghawk

Some great ideas there! That club coupe with the radiused rear wheel well and the '54 Buick side trim is a natural!

14. silverdome

silverdome

Just like a cardboard shoebox, it looks like you can make anything out of these cars.

15. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

There was a thread posted a few days ago asking how many Shoeboxes were chopped when they were customized. I think this here answers that question. I've always loved the 49, and 50 shoes, never did care for the 51s really, didn't like the double bullet and the way the dash swooped down.

Anyways, I'll have to put this issue on the list of mags to look for at the swaps. Thanks Ryan!

16. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I'll also be looking for this one at the swap meets.

Car Craft had a pictorial of shoeboxes also. I don't have it hear right now, but I think it is the one with Tommy Ivo's T on the cover.

17. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

Somebody know anything about the cars in the magazine where they are to day?

18. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Allot of those pictures were shot by Mr. Barris,,

19. Thanks for putting this together, really brings back some memories of late 50's R&C - Lynn Wineland's articles were a big influence on me and helped push me to become a car designer. Wish I had saved some of the magazines.

20. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

awsome i gotta get that issue now

21. 231ramona

231ramona

I just posted a couple of weeks ago concerning an old shoebox custom I had in the late 70s. I am certain it was one of the cars in this magazine. There is a rear tail light shot of one with canted Studebaker lights. It was built by Gene Winfield for a lady (can't remember her name). My original post is http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339578
    This is another shot of the car in its original design.

Attached Files:

22. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Thanks for the pics, Ryan! Gotta have that issue. One just ended on E**y for $4.00 and just 2 bucks shipping. Oh well, swap meet season is close.

23. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I LOVE the interiors inparticular!
    Nick.

24. autobilly

autobilly

I'm diggin' the "Ute" on page 29!

25. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

very good post thanks!

26. One of my favorites!! It's in the nightstand drawer.
    Ideas for the '49 club coupe that rests on the other side of my bedroom wall.

Nice Journal Ryan!! Thanks

27. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

Another good one to get is the 1956 Nov. issue of Rod and Custom. Lots of great 49-51 in there.

d.

Attached Files:

28. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Great article,I own a 50 shoebox and i cant understand why people really mess with the grill and tail lights,to me they are pure custom from the factory.Some of the grill workings on the article didnt add anything to the style of the shoebox but took away from it.In custom car building you can go to far on a grill working it so hard that you end up making the front end look like some weird fish thing.Less is more,but i respect the history and the style,just my observation.