Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A local legend passes RIP Carl Zechbauer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Feb 15, 2009.

1. titus

titus

A very great freind of mine passed away tonight, Carl Zechbauer, he was well know through out many minnesota hot rodders, Carl was an oldtimer, in his early 70's, he chopped tons and tons of cars, an awsome hot rodder, a wealth of knowledge, a living legend. He will be missed greatly by many, and his memory will go on for a long time, i was very fortunate to have known him, he taught me many things throughout the time that ive know him, i first met his son John, another great local car guy, then met him (carl), he took a liking to me and we got along great, i ended up getting a job at the usual place he bought his car parts at so i got to know him even better. Ill surely mis the long BS sessions we had.

RIP Carl
    2008_jeff_jen_wedding0705.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  2. skyspop

skyspop

Sorry to hear that,my reguards and prayers to john and the family,sad day,....

3. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Sorry to hear this.My condolences go out to his family.If I recall,he had a chopped Buick that was in the mags.Correct?

4. titus

titus

Probably, im not sure, he was kinda the local chop king, he had chopped a ton of cars.

JEFF

5. Bull

Bull

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and fellow rodder, Jeff.

6. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Wow, Sorry to hear about the loss of Carl.
    Do you know of John is a member on here at all?
    I know him and his Dad were pretty close.

8. titus

titus

No, John isnt a hamber.

John called me at about 8 with the sad new.

9. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

10. I just got an email this AM from a Minnesota friend about Carl; altho I didn't know him well, I had the chance to meet him years ago. I did get to visit with him several times over several years.Talking with Carl was like talking with an old friend even tho you just met; he was just a likeable guy. He had so many stories to tell and he was a very talented craftsman.
    My condolences to the family and all his many friends. RIP Carl.

11. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Very sad news. Although I never met Carl, I sure met a lot of cars that he was responsible for. The one I liked the best was the '47 Chrysler 4-door sedan that he chopped. Now if there was ever an uglier car to start with I certainly don't know what it would be. However, by merely chopping the car, it went from a frog to such a beauty that it would give wood to any who male saw it. What a car, what a metal man, a guy with an eye for proportion.

RIP, Carl...

12. dr_amx

dr_amx

Carl was a great guy and fun to be around. Also a wealth of knowledge. I am very sorry to hear of his passing I wish I could have learned more from him. Keep you chin up Titus!

13. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks for posting this.
    Carl certainly earned legendary status. He was very innovative, in being probably the first to chop any number of cars that were outside the mainstream of customizing (and at a time when customizing itself was outside the mainstream.) His life and passing are certainly noteworthy.
    RIP

14. Ole don

Ole don

RIP Carl Zee.

15. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Carl will be sadly missed by all, just an all around nice guy. My family and I send our
    best wishes to the entire family.

16. titus

titus

If i remeber correctly Thom Taylor did a drawing of the chrysler called "two bumps" or something like that, maybe it was in an old street rodder mag a while back. i can remember.

Carl surely did have many different tasts in cars, but his love was old mopars, usually 4 doors, of the 40s, hed put a nova sub in em, nova rear, a small block chevy and make em a driver. he was working on a dodge pickup lately, i never new him not having a project, like i said, he was in his early 70's and i think i seen him build about 15-20 cars, and ive only know him for about 8 or so years, he just chopped a 46 ford convert a year ago or so, so he was still at it hard as ever.

JEFF

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Our condolences go out to his family.

18. Sorry to hear Jeff.

19. Jaker

Jaker

Sorry to hear that Jeff, my thoughts are with his family

20. jjrodder

jjrodder

So sorry to hear of Carl's passing. He was a great guy and a super craftsman. My sincere condolences to his family. He will be dearly missed.
    RIP
    Jerry J

21. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

John and Ann e-mailed last night and told me he was ill again and not doing well.
    He loved cutting those tops and razing this OHI-Ya Guy....

RIP my friend...

22. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Carl had a Maroon Chopped '55 Buick that he built around 1980 or '81. Car was in Texas for some time but think it may be back here in Minnesota now. Carl and his family attended some of the early KKOA events with this car.

I recall walking around Chopped Mercs once with Carl. Took him a long time to find one that he thought was done right. A very talented Man who built more cars then I can count and he will be DEEPLY missed by many many people.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  23. Rick S

Rick S

So sorry to hear of Carl's passing. I was lucky enough be introduced to Carl a few years ago by a long time friend of mine, Buzz Magnuson. Carl always had a a big smile on his face and treated me like he had known me for ever. He always asked me how my hot rod truck build (my first) was coming along and gave me some excellent advice on how to chop the top, etc. I never missed a chance to go with Buzz to see what Carl was building next and was always impressed with what that guy could do and how he made everything look so easy. He was a local legend and will be missed.

Rick Smith

24. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

[​IMG]
    Bradshaw Celebration of Life Center
    2800 Curve Crest Boulevard
    Stillwater, MN 55082
    Ph 651.439.5511
    Fax 651.439.0515
    [email protected]
    [​IMG]

Got this info from John's wife a few minutes ago.Thought this would help you local folks​

25. Gunch

Gunch

Carl was indeed a very personable man and will be deeply missed my everyone in the community.

RIP

26. S.F.

S.F.

This is why Im starting to talk to alot more of the old men that I see at car shows, they were hot rodding in the 50's. Everyday there are less from that time period. RIP

27. titus

titus

Bradshaw Celebration of Life Center
    2800 Curve Crest Boulevard
    Stillwater, MN 55082

[​IMG]

its taking place thursday 10:00-12:00

JEFF

28. Stevie D

Stevie D

R.I.P Tell john im sorry to hear about the news.

29. sundance

sundance
    from minnesota

jeff, sorry to hear the bad news about Carl, although i never met him, i heard alot about his chopping skills! R.I.P. CARL

30. Sad to hear....I've seen a lot of his work over the years.
    RIP Carl.