Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anchorage to Bonneville Salt Flats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jr9162, Jul 8, 2013.

1. jr9162

jr9162

Departing Anchorage on August 5th headed down ALCAN to SLC and Wendover UT for Speed Week at Bonneville Salt Flats. This will be my 5th trip down/up the ALCAN. Looking for riders/cargo to augment fuel expenses. Driving a F250 turbo-diesel Xtracab pickup trailering a car. I will have room for a rider(s) from Anchorage to Wendover, and onward to Phoenix. Pickup bed will be loaded w/HHGs on my southern route. I will be passing through Haines Jct and Whitehorse evening of 8/5. Will overnight somewhere between Whitehorse, and Watson Lake 1st day; somewhere between Dawson Creek, Grande Prairie, and Edmonton 2nd day; US border area 3rd day; Provo, SLC or Wendover the 4th day. The morning of 8/13 or 8/14 I will head to Cedar City UT to drop off the HHGs, and continue to Flagstaff AZ to visit my son. Following that I will continue to Phoenix to pick up some BBC engines. Then ~ 8/15 or 8/16 to San Bernardino to drop off a car. My route back north will travel up the I-5 corridor to Seattle.

I can pick up a HAMBer anywhere along my route south. Can accommodate a small amount of baggage like a soft suitcase or backpack on the route south to Cedar City. Empty pickup bed will be available for hauling stuff from Cedar City to Phoenix.

I have room in the truck bed traveling north from Phoenix to Seattle, and an empty 16 foot trailer from San Bernardino to Anchorage. The truck bed will be mostly full from Sedro Wolley WA to Anchorage. I will have room for a rider(s) from Seattle to Anchorage, and can haul a vehicle or motorcycle(s) from SOCAL, or anywhere along along my route north, along the route as far as Anchorage.

Call or text me at 907/three50-four891 if you need a ride, or something hauled, part of or the whole way. John

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Sounds like an adventure!

3. jr9162

jr9162

Oh it's going to be fun. I'll be like a kid in a candy store...

4. Bump for ya'

Jim

5. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

!!!!! ... Now just to find a 302

6. And another ... ;)

Jim

7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Enjoy the trip. If you're temped to run the F250 on the salt, I think 186mph is the diesel record set in a F250 crewcab.

8. jr9162

jr9162

Nope. The truck is in too good a shape to drive it out on the salt beds. I have never used it to launch boats, or plow snow. This will be the F250's 4th trip down/up the ALCAN to the lower 48.

My 1st trip was up in my brother's 95 F250 Powerstroke, traveling from East Moline IL; and down in my 87 Toyota SR5 Turbo Xtra Cab to San Diego. Followed by three more round trips in my F250 (one from Anchorage to San Diego and back).

I currently have booking to haul 3 motors from Phoenix/Rialto CA for 2 HAMBers to Anchorage; a Truckstell overdrive for another , set of winter tires, and 25 boxes HHGs from Sedro Wooley WA to Anchorage for a non-HAMBer - all the above in the truck bed; and possibly a Piper aircraft from Bellingham WA to Whitehorse YT on my trailer.

Craigslist is my friend... :)

If all the above loads pan out I can still haul a pickup bed load, or motorcycle, from Cedar City/St George UT to Flagstaff or Phoenix; a motorcycle or partial pickup load from the above, Phoenix, CA, or OR to the Seattle area; and a vehicle/large items from SOCAL to the Seattle area... I have no problem hauling from those areas to somewhere along the route either. At this point, I will travel I-10 from Phoenix to San Bernardino, LA, and then I-5 north from LA to Seattle. I-210, I-205, I-405, etc... bypasses are not being ruled out either.

Still looking for rider(s) along my southern route all the way from AK to Phoenix, and the northern route all the way from Seattle area to Anchorage.

John

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

John, sounds like a cool adventure. I will be there next year.

10. jr9162

jr9162

Andy,
    If I like it this time I may do the same. When are you and the rest of the guys coming to AK?

11. HHGs from Sedro-Woolley? You guys don't have Skoal stained couches in Alaska?;)

12. jr9162

jr9162

25 boxes of House Hold Goods and 4 dismounted snow tires for a school teacher moving from Sedro Woolley WA to Sterling AK. The city is off I-5 north of Seattle. I moved her motorcycle and 16 boxes up in June. :p

13. jr9162

jr9162

Back to the top

14. Morning Bump

Jim

15. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Hey John.. From talking to you it sounds like you make the tround trip a few times a summer? Let me know if you have a spring trip next year. I'll have some stuff gathered up by then.

16. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Alao how do you feel about bringing bulk ammo up?

17. jr9162

jr9162

I have no problem but not sure if I can get it past the G-men at the border stations... U going to either car show this weekend?

18. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Saw the car at the McD show and shine. Just did a slow drive through baby was a bit wound up.

19. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Where you at John???

B:confused:B

20. jr9162

jr9162

At Coutts AB waiting in line to pass into Montana. On my way to Wendover UT.

21. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I'm in Evanston Wy, about 4 hours out of Wendover.

See ya there. I'm at the motel 6

B:DB