Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hershey newbie advice: What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atomickustom, Sep 21, 2012.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

Okay, so the "counting down to Hershey" thread inspired me and I had a chat with the Mrs. and it looks like I will be going to Hershey in October 2013!!

I have a ton of questions, starting with:

1) Where should I stay? (And am I already too late to book a room? Should I start planning for 2014 instead?)

2) I'll be flying in from out of state. If I can only attend for two days, should it be Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday?

I've been going to swap meets since I was a little kid, but nothing this big. I lived in Northeast Ohio the first 30 years of my life so I understand how variable the weather can be. But no one I know has been to Hershey since about 1975.
    This is going to be like Christmas and the Fourth of July for me and I want to make it as good an experience as possible because I don't know when I'll be able to repeat it.

Any advice is welcome!

2. ctlikon0712

ctlikon0712
    from Cocoa, Fl.

Dave, I would go Friday and Saturday. Friday for the swap and Saturday for the show and swap.... you will probably just get to see a small portion of the swap in one to two day's..... yes its that big. As far as where to stay. I don't know.. I stayed an hour away with family. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

3. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

No sunday runs Wed-Saturday and depends why you are going;
    1) Going to find items and take stuff home you better be there Wed and Thursday and/or Friday or the good stuff will be gone
    2) Going to look...Friday and Saturday are fine
    3) Rooms avaialable now will be mostly south (near harrisburg/Carlsile) Where are you flying into?
    4) Renting a car? How are you getting there from airport?
    5) If you are serious about buying items you had better line up someone from your area to get the items home that will be there or better yet vending

4. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

OH YA....take walking shoes....GOOD walking shoes....you'll need them

5. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

1. Wear comfortable shoes. You'll be walking 3 - 5 miles easily per day up & down the rows.
    2. Bathrooms under the stadium or at the Giant Center are better than the porta-johns.
    3. Go to Hershey Stadium at 11 am on Friday for the race car "run". It's a good excuse to sit and rest.
    4. Start early as many vendors close around 5 and things will be covered in blue tarps.
    5. When the flea market closes down, check out the AACA Museum or go to Hershey Lodge for the Auction. Don't pay to get in the Auction, just look at the cars in the parking lot. I'm assuming the Auction will be Friday evening, but check RM Auctions website to make sure it's going on.
    6. If you stay for the show on Saturday, get there before 8 and watch all the vehicles drive in. They all enter from a single point and AACA sets up bleachers for people to sit & watch.
    7. Don't blame AACA for having to walk so far from parking to the flea market because of the limited entrances or the cost of parking. Blame HERCO.
    8. Pray for sun.

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

bigbob55:
    1) Geez, I need to back up and read their website better. I didn't even realize it was Wednesday through Saturday.
    I am not going to look, I am going to BUY. Looks like Wednesday and Thursday and maybe extend it to Friday.

3) Thanks! I'll start looking this weekend.
    4) yes, probably renting a car
    5) Yeah, I've already started thinking about that, too. I have family around Akron, Ohio so in a worse-case scenario I get it there then ship the rest of the way home.
    If I am really lucky someone I know knows someone who will be there but I just hatched this plan today over lunch so I am totally flying blind right now. It's possible this might all get bumped to 2014 if things don't fall into place pretty well.

I would not be above buying something to drive home full of parts if that's what it took, but I'd prefer not to.

Shoes - I'm thinking multiple pairs! I figured out that it's mostly on blacktop these days so at least I won't need the knee-high boots I used to wear to swap meets every spring and fall when I lived in Ohio.

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

40LUV: how early can you START shopping?
    I hit Springfield, MO around 6am and there are still people setting up until at least 7 or so.

8. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Seriously if you are planing on going 2013 (not this year) THE REASON you are going will determine what days....where to stay....and mode of transportation. It's a haul from Joplin....and flying in is no problem....there are tons of European UK Aussies there buying. But if you are seriously buying parts and or considering a acr purchase getting the items back is a big deal....and if you take the time to find a local Joplin Hamber or vendor up front that will be there to haul your parts back for some cash for gas you will be way farther ahead....

9. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I usually try to get there around 8. I forgot to mention that another decent place to rest your feet is by taking the Chocolate World Ride, and they'll give you candy at the end. Chocolate World is near the Stadium.

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yes, I am talking about doing it one year from now. But I just decided to do it a couple hours ago so I am trying to gather info and think things through.

I am also going to spend some time next week on the AACA swap meet because right now all I know about the meet is what I've read today on the HAMB and what I heard from my Dad who went there once in the early 1970s.

11. oldolds

oldolds

You will walk closer to 20 miles a day if you want to do any flea marketing. They say Carlisle has 17 miles of flea market and Hershey is much bigger. Get some munchies and drinks to take with you. There is ample food and drink on the grounds, but water will cost $2.50 a bottle, If you get a case at the store it is $.30.
    A way to haul your stuff, think old lady 2 wheel shoping cart. You may be parked 1 mile away.
    Rain gear, cold weather gear, hot weather gear, temps can range from 30 degree lows to 50 degree high some years or highs as high as 80 degrees some years.
    Wednesday is the best buying day, most vendors set up Tuesday. Wednesday is best before it gets recycled to the big dollar guys. I once watched a 30's peddle car start at my booth sold for $1000, went to at least 5 other booths in one day and was over $8000 at the last one I heard about.

12. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

nobody mentioned it yet--TAKE PLENTY OF MONEY, WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE ENOUGH-DOUBLE THE AMOUNT-!!! You will find parts there that are extremely hard to find and the big trouble is two days or even two weeks is not enough time for a real down in the boxes parts dig. Also don't be afraid to tell the vender for what car you want the parts for. I asked at a Mopar parts vender and got the best 40
    Ford dash you could find-all guges, glove box, etc for just a little money

13. 40Vert

40Vert

One tip I learned from a HAMBer is to print the individual maps of the fields from the the AACA website and carry it with me to the swap. If I buy something heavy, most vendors will let you keep the item there until you're ready to pick it up, I then mark the booth on the map so I know how to get back quickly. Yes the swap is that big, and at the end of the day, walking an extra aisle looking for my parts is the last thing I want to do!

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dave, If you can take the time off and have some spair money GO THIS YEAR! Thrust me, you don't want to read about all the fun we'll have and sit aroing for 365 days. Friday and Saturday will give you a good overview of the flea market and show, but Wednesday and Thursday are the best days to buy. See you there, this will be 43 in a row for me. Bob

15. noboD

noboD

Tuesday is "set up" day for the vendors, think bargains. BUT they are only allowed in about 10:00AM if the weather is good and the moon is right, and not all vendors show up that early. Flying into Middletown{8 miles away?} is probably expensive, check now. Cheaper plan is to fly into Baltimore or Philley and drive two hours. They've been building lots of motels all around here, SHOULD be getting easier to find a room. Camping is available at "some" HAMBer's houses that live closeby. As was said, Sat. is car show day, not many vendors open. Everyone is gone and the trash picked up by Sunday. Join AACA, get the magazine and figure out what's being said straight from the horse's mouth. Lots to do closeby, decent unknown resturants, if you ask locals. If you bring the wife, there are special bus trips for sightseeing and shopping. Local storage for BIG items if needed. Hint, hint.

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stay at Highmeadow Campground. You may consider a drive. I drive 8hrs straight through and I'm there, yours will be longer but may be worth it? I get the week (tues thru sat) for about 1 night in a room. By the time you get to your room you can forget about TV or anything else so either go cheap or consider camping. You'll be fairly well wiped out and the campground is nice place to chill with lots of other car freaks in there. At the end of the day, a frosty barley pop and a seat by the road nets a mobile car show:cool: If you camp on site they limit the time you can return. I think it's 9pm which leaves no real time for an auction visit or a liesurly bite to eat unless you leave the feild early. Who would do that? Vendor spaces number in the thousands. 1 field is going to be more than anything you may have seen and there's 5 or 6 fields. Chocolate field is in the center and usually the biggest/buisiest/most real vendors. Don't bitch about people buying spaces to park or camp. It's still more than you'd see anywhere in the world. The last few years have seemed to bring out lots of stuff. Perhaps folks are finally sick about fleabag, or egay, or fleecebay, or whatever that site is (!).

17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Bring yourself a cart of some sort with large skinny tires.I have an old grocery wire side two wheeler.Lined with cardboard and with a bunch of plastic grocery bags and a towel for padding.The trick is to have something light to carry all your scores,some energy food,couple waters,sun glasses,hat,raingear.

Like Ive said in another thread,most guys will let you leave bigger things with them till the end of the day but make sure you write the space # down or YOU WILL NEVER FIND IT AGAIN.

Start at one side and go row by row towards the other side.You dont have time to zig zag and waste time and energy.And most importantly the big two: Good Shoes and Mo Money!!!

We stay at the Hershey Conewago Campground appox 10 miles directly south in Elizabethtown. $45 a night,showers,electric.Beer store and Hoses right up the road.

Its worth the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  18. wallyringo

wallyringo

hey Dave thanks for asking these questions, i`m thinking of doing a trip next year from California, getting lots of good advice here, thanks bro.

19. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

KOA in Elizabethtown has cabins for rent. A little farther away-but should still have openings. We've stayed there the last 4 years. Several decent places to eat in Elizbethtown, also.

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you don't have to worry about walking in mud!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I hope the Orange field stays on grass, nice reminder of how nice things were back in the "Good Old Days", lots of great memories before the world was covered with blacktop. Bob

22. noboD

noboD

Orange field is all black. Only thing green is the showfield and it lost a few more trees this summer during a big wind storm.

23. atomickustom

atomickustom

No can do: between work and a six-month old baby at home I can't make this year work. Next year is my goal.

A lot of great advice on this thread. I'm glad I asked!

24. Great info. I am going for the first time this year. Thursday through Saturday.

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Bring a rain coat, and some warm clothing.
    Weather is usually shitty.

26. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Just as a heads up for you first timers....and this applies to any swap meet you attend.
    1) Don't expect hard to find items to be setting on a table in front of you. I hear so many people saying they went to a swap meet and came home empty handed and disappointed. YOU have to look.....most vendors put crates or boxes of parts out on the ground....or even leave stuff in open trailers...looking for something? THEN DIG
    2) KNOW what you are looking for....if you have to ask the vendor what does this fit then YOU have not done your homework. It's OK to confirm....but you should at least be familiar with what you want to pick it out on sight
    3) Don;t waste time scouring the tables at Ronnie's Vintage Mustang Parts if your looking for 56 Buick taillights.... Use a little common sense
    4) Know what items are worth cost wise. If you locate a part you want, it's fairly priced then buy it. Not all vendors mark parts up expecting to get lowballed. And don;t be an embarssment to yourself by offering someone 30% of the asking price. If it's a part you want, but are not willing to pay the marked price, then make an offer, but make it believeable. If it's priced fairly then pay the price. Gas isn't worth $4.00 a gallon but when you stop for gas do you go in and barter a price per gallon before you pump it?

27. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

That's one thing the promoter can't control, yet it is the single most controlling factor in whether an event is good or bad (especially from a vendors standpoint)

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And the biggest overload of all: Realizing that everything you ever wanted is right there in front of you, accompanied by a thousand things that you now want after seeing them...so bring all the money you can. Buying stuff in person is a LOT better and safer than messing with Ebay or repro stuff!
    Be careful choosing a moment to tell the Mrs. that you cashed in the equity on the house and liquidated the kids' college fund... women frequently have confused financial priorities.

29. Terrence

Terrence

I always took a half day off work Tuesday (when I lived in spitting distance) Tues and Wed are the best shopping days. I wont be there till late Wed night this year so I don't expect any bargains left on Thurs and Fri. Try looking in Harrisburg Zip 17111 for a hotel its close and there are over 1600 hotel rooms in that Zip.

30. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Wear comfy shoes