Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Stroh Model A Coupe: Build Thread & Photo Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Crunch, May 21, 2012.

1. This post is about my son (Jeffrey) and his Model A coupe build. He is a young
    hot rodder at age 12. It started last year looking for a 5 window AD Chevy to build as Father son Project. We traveled the country side looking for a good truck to start with. no luck!

That all changed when we attended the Hot Rod Revolution in Austin December 2011. His exposure to the old school rods there had a huge impact on him and he soon asked the question of building a true traditional hot rod. That was a easy one to answer. Yes

From day one it has been in his head to build a Model A Coupe. The journey then started to find a project for us to work on. Weeks of looking the HAMB and CL with no luck. Then we found our car listed on the HAMB only 20 miles down the road. Boney-fingers cut the kid a deal and we came back to loaded it and all the extra body panels.

[​IMG]

It is need to patch panels and sub floor repair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With our first Round Up under our belt he has a pretty good plan on how the build should go.
    Build Plan:
    *4" chop top
    * 32 rails
    * Split bones
    * 259 Subebacker w/2x2

Started this weekend with sub-floor repair.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned as we take the Model A back to the road.

On another note about this young rodder, he is training to do custom pinstriping. This start when he received a Steve Kafka Pin striping Brushes and several cans of One Shot paint for Christmas. So now every show we attend he is stalking the pro's picking up what tricks they will share. He spends on average 8-10 hrs a week practicing the art. HE has steady progress and is getting better.
    [​IMG]

Enough for now.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good for you, Crunch...My Dad was killed when I was 12, by that time I had every issue of Hot Rod Magazine from #1, and had memorized them all.
    Older rodders in town (Santa Clara, CA.) 'adopted' me, encouraged me, and I chopped my '36 Ford 3 window at age 13.

I commend you on your involvement with your son...This warms my heart.
    My son and I are involved in about 9 Coupe & Roadster projects now. (I'm 69, he's 49. We've been at it all along)

3. stewscoupe1929

stewscoupe1929

Thats awesome!! bring back memories of me building my first hotrod from scratch i when i was 14 in my back yard with no shop and a old 50's model Century stick welder my Grampa gave me! Im 26 now.. but those were the days!! Keep the Tradition alive!!!

4. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Awesome project! The kid has skills already at 12 y/o. My best memories of my father was working on hot rods when I was your sons age. Great job your doing as a father. Subscribed, look forward to your progress.

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very cool! I dig the plan of attack for the coupe. Your son's only 12 years old.. That gives him 4 years to finish so he can have the coolest car at school.

Maybe I'll run into you guys at the Revolution in a few months. I'll be the one stalking him and asking him for tips on my 'striping.. I need to get back into that and he's far way better than I am at this point. Haha. :)

6. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

very cool!!!! i think this will be some great memories down the road and time well spent

7. Way to go what a great car to build

8. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

9. Thanks guys for all the kind words. Your encouragement is a great motivation for the kid. He is stoked people are checking out the build. He is currently writing out a project goal sheet and working on timeline. The project counts towards his Eagle Scout Merit Badge. Next weekend we will go pick up his engine, Studebaker V8 and trans.[​IMG]

cadillacoffin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. 510madmav

510madmav

This is too cool, I'm an Eagle Scout, tell him It's worth the work. As for his pinstriping, It's better than mine when I first started 5 years ago! Subscribed & can't wait to see it come together. He's got the bug guys...

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is about the age my two Son's started playing with cars too, and it has been one of the joys of my life, sharing this hobby with them. Good for you, this will be something the two of you will never forget.

That Stude engine is going to make it super cool. Keep us posted on how it is going.

Don

PS, good to see him wearing goggles and gloves too.......I learned that lesson the hard way.

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

absolutely awesome. memories that'll last a lifetime...very cool for you both.I like the way this project is headed. subscribed :):)

13. This is what we all like to see, a young guy keeping this hobby going into another generation. I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on this project.:D

14. Always good to see a guy spending quality time with their son,not enough of it goes on.
    Gloves and glasses are good but look after his young ears also with plugs or muffs.
    I wish someone got up me about looking after my hearing yrs ago.
    Good luck with the coupe.

15. Great story and looks like a great kid. Will be following this build-up with much interest. Best of luck.

16. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Way to go Jeffrey!
    My son is turning the big 05 this year, and loves to be in the shop with me whenever he can. We'll be watching.

17. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

What does "Stroh" mean? (at least in the context of the trhead). Around my house, it's something that comes in a blue can and you drink it.

18. josh highley

josh highley

Awesome! Can't start early enough!

19. Dale,

Stroh is our last name.

The Crunch

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

awesome father/son project. looking forward to progress.

21. Cool project to build memories that will last forever!

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

way to go young gun!! your buildin a great car there. keep praticing your pinstripping.i never could get the hang of it. mine always looked like someone threw up spaggetti.lol

23. A few more of the 12 yr old Stripe KING. Went to a Hot Rod show last weekend he spotted a Studebaker getting some new lines added to the tailgate. We parked it there for a hour or so and he picked up a few pointers from a pro.

[​IMG][​IMG]

He has started to sand on the coupe and marked off chop lines. I think we will need to pull one tape line off.
    [​IMG]

Checking out the view.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  24. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yup, Waaay too much headroom, maybe seven inches too much? :)

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You think that's too much? You better not let your boy see this otherwise he's going to start bugging you to let him chop it this much.. :)

[​IMG]

26. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Hard to beat a chopt A coupe on deuce rails!!! Keep up the good work...

27. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

28. snowman

snowman

It's always admirable to see a father and son relationship like this. Good on you for supporting your boy and exposing him to traditional cars. Good on him for dreaming big and staying focused!

29. I like the direction this build and kid are headed!