Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many have set themselfs on FIRE !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Mar 14, 2012.

1. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

Tried to blow out a carb fire once, it flared back and burnt half my mustach off.

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Plenty of times, but the thread also reminded me of something I did when I was really young, 12 y/o or so.

I was at home one summer and bored out of my mind. Went into the garage, and decided to see if I could blow up a plastic milk jug by filling it with a few teaspoons of gasoline (mom wasn't home). Put the gas in a jug, and flicked a match at it. It hit the mouth, lit up with a semi-loud "whoomph" and a 6" high flame, but then it slowly started to burn down as the oxygen in the milk container ran out. I picked it up when there was still a small flame on at the mouth, and decided to blow it out. What that did was inject oxygen into the container that was filled with gasoline vapor with a flame on top. Air+gas+flame = BOOM! As soon as I blew into the container, a foot long flame shot out. I singed all my hair and burned off my eyebrows.

I never did that again, and I had a hard time explaining to my mother why my eyebrows were gone.

Chris

3. movingviolation

movingviolation

I confess... i've caused a little clothing fire a couple times before my fire retardant coveralls.... both grinding and welding...

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Haha ,especially those pajama like lounge pants my wife buys me...man do they burn fast when the crotch goes up in flames :eek:

5. Jen......

Jen......

lighting a acetlyne torch caught my hair on fire , i should have known better

Jen

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Jesus Christ that was funny!! Thanks I needed a good laugh today!!

7. How can you weld without setting yourself on fire at least once? Isn't that how we learn?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, and the girl friend seems to think that there is something wrong with it... Like normal people never set themselves on fire. Don't they? Guess heretofore she just hasn't been hanging around with the right people.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Many times when welding while lying on my back.

10. 61falcon

61falcon

its been about 20 years since but i was wearing some cheapo work gloves while cutting off an exhaust pipe and the red hot slag dropped into my hand holding the torch. set that glove on fire instantly. i dropped the still lit torch. shook the glove of in one fast downward move then turned off the torches before i further schorched the finish off the shop floor.

11. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Nothing more surreal than looking at you hand on fire though a welding helmet.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Another good tip, keep a spray bottle of water handy when cutting welding and grinding. adjust the sprayer to "stream:. If you set yourself or car on fire, a couple of squirts puts it out. Save a fortune in fire extinguishers, also by keeping it handy the fire does not have a chance to spread while you run for the extinguisher.

13. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I was working out in the garage a few years back during the winter. I had one of those lp heaters that look like a deep fryer and had my back to it and was not more than a foot or so away from it. My ass suddendly started feeling warmer than before and I looked back and there was flames shooting off my ass and back. My carhart coveralls had a small frayed area and that caught fire and burnt a hole in my jeans and the hoody that I was wearing underneath them. Being a cheap fawker I wore those coveralls to work and got shit from my co-workers for having "assless chaps", lol. I wore them all that winter and pitched them after the winter was over.

14. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

At least 3 x I guess I don't learn or I just enjoy it.

15. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Many years ago I cut up an SS 396 Chevelle to build a dirt track car. I was welding in a shop with no heat during the cold of winter and I was really bundled up. I raised my helmet to find that the whole front of me was on fire. I did a little dance while beating the fire out. There is a reason, that while welding in the Navy, we always had a fire watch.

I know that I have set my self on fire many times over the years but that particular time has always stood out as one of the best.

John

16. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

My wife told me to smell a candle......so I did. It was stil lit. I snuffed up a nice flame and the whole room smelled like singed nose hair. That is all I could smell for about 2 days.

Back in the mullet days, my room mate and I both set our mullets on fire welding on several occasions.

I melted the front of a sweatshirt grinding, noticed when my belly started stinging.

17. WM3

WM3

While not on fire, I was under the truck cutting bolts with the angle grinder when a glowing red chunk fell right down my shirt. Still have a scar across my nipple from it...

18. The question should be how many times..........The answer = MANY

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Guilty also,Worst one was many years ago worked at a scrap yard and lit my jacket on fire,Torching Tony ran up to me and ripped my jacket off.

20. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

The first day I work on a new project somehow i start myself on fires. It's happened with the last 4 cars.

21. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

I have never set myself on fire. Lots of other close calls, so I am not that careful. My 79-year old neighbor lit himself up recently working on his diesel Mercedes. He guy who extinguished him did not know there was a body inside the flames. Thankfully, he died.

22. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

that would be yes...cutting torch and frayed jeans..never again...just glad I had the hose close:eek:...it only took about a month to heal & quit itching....Shawn

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      380.8 KB
      Views:
  23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Around here its probably easier to coount the guys that havent set themselves on fire..

24. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

It was a small fire right there under my chin. No more flannel shirts while welding.

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

Reminds me of Thornhill.... we were working on a 69 charger for our boss, and trying to get it running after a long storage. He cuts a pop can in half and puts gas in it, holds it over the carb while Billy tries to start it, and as it back fires he jerks back and throws gas on his arm and in billy's toolbox, both he and the toolbox were on fire... he was a shakin' that arm trying to get away from it!!!

Awesome that's for the reminding me!!! :D

26. David Chandler

David Chandler

Oh yes. It does happen, even when you think you are being careful. I set a good sized rag on fire the other day, while welding. It was nearly 5 feet away, and I'm still not sure how it happened. But I picked it up and threw it into the wood stove, so nothing important got fried. Then again, I have burned holes into my shirt and an old coat while grinding. And every now and then I come across something that I had stored away, that has been bombarded with sparks of some sort. Plastic bags or wrappers usually tell the tale.

27. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I've set myself on fire working on the car like a lot of us have. But I do semi-professional magic and use fire there. That's when it gets exciting. You are working in front of a crowd.

Wasn't wearing a hat and shot fire from the tip of my thumb and my hair went up in flames like Michael Jackson doing the Pepsi commercial.....................

28. The fray on the bottom of my jeans, caught fire last week. I didn't even waste time taking off the welding mask. The welding gloves made it easy to smother the flames, the welding mask made it cool to watch all the purdy different shades of green. Kids don't do this at home!

29. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

not only have I set myself on fire,,, I've set a couple of my friends on fire too. Much funnier when its not you.

I have also watched as a friend of mine was welding an exhaust in his new work shirt, he comes over after its done to join in our conversation. Noticed that there was smoke coming from his pocket but didnt say anything, his employee was talking with me and he saw it too and give me the "look".

Soon the friend in the new shirt says "you guys smell something burning?" "ahhhhh No" and we kinda looked around like we were concerned. Shortly after that the flames began and he then notices that he is on fire. He accused us of many unfriendly things as we rolled around on the floor cackling.

Its not like we were gonna let him get consumed by the flames, I was holding a shovel to put him out with.

30. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv been on fire many times from welding and grinding.
    But the one that freaked me out the most was when the fuzz on the new flannel decided to completely and entirely flash over in about a quarter of a second :eek: and just as fast go out.