Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 ford backing plate quiestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, Feb 9, 2012.

1. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

while i'm awiaiting the sale of my stuff....i still want to educate myslef incase i have to keep it and use it down the road. I have the 39 backing plates and they need all the hardward. Macs has all of it new...and I have scrounged up some used parts, but my question is about the brake shoe cam. where does it go in relation to the set up. any pictures would be helpful. I am also at a loss as what to do with the 2 adjusters on each side of the plate. they work and turn but are rusted and ugly. they are riveted in and i don't know how or where to replace those pieces. thanks.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The gross adjustment cams at the side top of the plates are not replaceable to my knowledge. Rusted and ugly means sandblast and paint.
    The brass cams with the offset triangular hole go in the bottom(heel) end of the shoes in the round holes.The cam bolts with the large nuts on them run through the plate on the bottom outside of the backingplate through the cams.
    Get your self an early Ford Service book and parts manual and you'll get a better idea of what you are going to be doing.

3. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

ok, I think that I'm ont he right track here. When I was getting all the part #s from Macs, I don't think that I got the part number for the small rod that goes in the ends of the cylinders and pushes against the brake shoes end. I guess I should ask and not assume that there is one that goes there.

4. 117harv

117harv

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

also while I'm on it...what hubs are compatible with the 28 spindles? I've got the part #s for Macs for the hubs and drums, but Iwould like to try to find some used or buy the compatible hubs lower priced. thanks for putting up with all of my ramblings.

6. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

thanks Harv, I'll be looking into those when it's time.
    Ok smart people and gurus...wanted to ask if these part numbers will work for the 28 spindles....speedway 91065450 hub and 91065400 drum. I want to use the original braking system. the dimensions are a little different on the drum than on macs. the drum says it is 12 x 2 and the one I have the part number for from macs is 12 x 1 3/4. with the correct bearings...will these work? I'm trying to fish up the dimensions on some later model fords or whatever to compare to.

7. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi, if I understand correctly, I suggest the easy way to adapt those later backing plates and hubs to the '28 axle is to use the later spindles.
    The wheel cylinder piston pushes directly on the brake shoe.
    By the way we still have stainless adjusters for your project. Regards, Ron

8. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

thanks. I've jsut spoken with 29speedster (great guy by the way) and I am looking into buying some wide fives from him and shipping out to Nashville. I am going to sandblast and prep the backing plates and then if I need to go ahead and get the adjusters, i'll give you a shot ron. thanks. I think that I'm going to try to stay with the 39 plates and the adapter ring and the hydraulic br4ake set up that I currently have. I don't know though...always something running through my mind.