Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Silver Dollar" A/GS Willys pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Tudor, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Don't know if any of you remember it, it belonged to a guy named Mike Bamber. Well, I found Mike and the truck last night. Truck is sitting in a barn, just as he retired it in the early '70's, and the 6-71 blown Olds in sitting on a stand next to it. Hoping to meet him again in the next few weeks, and get some photos of the car. When I get them, if anyone is interested, I'll post them. Truck looks to be in good shape still, it's here in SoCal and has been in a barn all this time.

2. slammed

slammed

Yes indeed! Photo it Dust and all! Motor, spare part's, old photo's the owner may have as well. Anyone who has some vintage pic's of said car, and what magazine's it may have appeared in out there? Great find, and two thumb's up for a positive thread!

3. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

The subject Willys PU prior to being Silver in body color and when running 340 inches of SBC.

POPULAR HOT RODDING
    OCT 1962

Attached Files:

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

I believe it was at the Hot Rod Reunion In Bakersfield last year, For Sale...

5. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Barn? Truck has been all over @ car Shows & yes For Sale for at least a year or so?

6. HOLY OLD THREAD!:eek:

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

whoa..yeah it is...

8. biscaynes

biscaynes

9. Yep,

Chris Unger has it in his shop in Orange now. Saw it there last week.

10. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

How much is it for sale for ?

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. blacufo

blacufo

13. The following is from the Barrett listing. I just love the BS. "Last Chevy powered a/gas supercharged" ? In 65? Really, I can think of quite a few into the 70's.

" responsible for the NHRA rules limiting the height of gassers" Hmmm, never have been able to find that rule

"The car was recently honored at NHRA 50th Anniversary Event at Pomona, California." Or displayed with other old race cars - honored?

Oh well, it will be interesting to see what it brings ~ might make me want to sell the Blair's Anglia if it brings stupid money ....... Nah.

One of the last Chevrolet powered A/Gas Supercharged drag cars, the "Silver Dollar" was owned, built and driven by Mike Bamber of Escondido, California. The Silver Dollar raced all of the early 60's west coast events. The 340cid engine was built from a Chevrolet 283cid block. The car was equipped with a B&M Hydromatic transmission and a GM posi-traction rear. The car is virtually as-raced and is fully operational today. The Silver Dollar was known for it's unusally high stance and was responsible for the NHRA rules limiting the height of gassers. The car was recently honored at NHRA 50th Anniversary Event at Pomona, California.

14. Gotta' love those PR guys Don! :rolleyes:

15. CR1193

CR1193
    from Tennessee

HAHAHA, Dont ya just love the Barret-Jackson spin machine......

It's almost as bad (or good) as TMZ!!!!!!!!!!

16. Algon

Algon

" responsible for the NHRA rules limiting the height of gassers" Hmmm, never have been able to find that rule

There is/was the crankshaft centerline rule of 24" from the ground that was supposed to limit the height but I beleive that it predates the build of this car any way being in place in 60-61? . I'm also not aware of a "Silver Dollar rule" in my 64 book either...:D

17. The 24" crank centerline rule was in effect when we built my RPU in '60, so the Silver Dollar had nothing to do with it. The big claim to fame that car has is it was once beaten by Doug Cook, and it's still around just as it was when built.

18. Yeah but that does not sound as cool as the BJ spin!:rolleyes:

19. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Looks like it'll go across the block shortly! The commentary should be interesting!!

20. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Just sold for $42000

21. derpr

derpr

sold 42,000

22. Best buy of the sale by far!!!!!!

23. choprodz

choprodz

I guessed $40 but being a owner of some real vintage drag cars, I was hoping for much more.......

24. What a steal!!!!

25. choprodz

choprodz

I wounder what it sold for last time???? 42 sounds like a good buy with all the cool history.

26. That should have sold for more than that, I would have thought in the $60K range?? And what's with those pics on BJ's page? Did it actually race against Mazmanian and SWC? Something about those pics looks a little fishy to me... Very cool if they are legit though.
    -Dean

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

42???? some body got a deal

28. smokin' deal...hard to find an unmolsted 60's drag car like that!

29. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

One of few under bid items at the auction.

Jon