Register now to get rid of these ads!

jump starting 6 volt positive ground

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by honestjerry, Aug 21, 2007.

1. honestjerry

honestjerry
    from Maryland

ok, school me on jumping a 49 ford, 6 volt positive ground. Can we use a 12 volt neg. car to do it? I know not to leave it hooked up too long and turn all other systems off, etc., but do how do we hook it up?

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have jumped 6 volt positive ground systems with 12 volts but do not run the vehicle with the 12 volts and have someone ready to yank the cables when it starts,with a 49 ford you should be able to push or pull it to start. Jeff

3. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Make sure you don't cross polarity, I lost a pair of jeans and a club jacket doing that, blew up the 6 volt battery.

4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

It's still positive to positive, negative to negative.

5. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Buy a second 6 volt battery and weld up a nice roll-around for it, as your first shop project.

6. Fe26

Fe26

Disconnect the battery from the donor car, ensure polarity is correct,
    turn your ignition switch on, place the "hot" jumper lead on the starter motor side of the solenoid, the starter will spin without damaging the 6v system, DO NOT press the starter button.
    Good luck

7. Winner.

8. Gorehound

Gorehound
    from Delaware

Just rewire the car for 12 volt. You know you love crawling
    in and out of damp musty old cars.:D
    Lee

9. honestjerry

honestjerry
    from Maryland

not gonna rewire. wouldn't be prudent. just want to get it started, bring it home, fix what ails it and send it back to whence it came!

10. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Is this a British Ford or something? '49-'51 Fords were all positive ground, at least all the ones I owned and have seen were.

11. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

my 30 ford is 6V pos ground. It's fine and dandy when the car is running good. Start troubleshooting, cranking and forgetting to turn ignition on and, then you are screwed. It spins just fast enough for a well tuned setup. If you need more than that it's dead battery city. I have been fighting converting it but with the hi comp ovh setup, I know it's inevitable.

Eric Crow likes this.