Register now to get rid of these ads!

Filters for Mr Gasket style scoops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnybsic, Nov 6, 2013.

1. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Does anyone know of any "high-flow" type filters for these? Anyway to squeek around trying to breath through a lil 6in paper filter? I had an idea for a K&N type panel filter for the inlet.

Just wondering. Those are cool scoops but that little filters gotta throw off mixture pretty good when you start turning alotta rpms.

Thanks

2. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Shoot...I mean a 2x4 filter. Gezze these are tiny!

3. Yeah,they are so tiny they dont even show up in your photo of them..Maybe we are just to guess what you have needing a filter.

4. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Whoops. Guess i neglected this request, Sorry about that.

It's one of these, a hilborn "style" scoop. The air filter kits come with one of these little 4in dia filters.

I was thinking Maybe a panel style across the front or something like it. Anyone got any ideas? thanks
    I seem to remember K&N making slip-in type filters for prostock type scoops. Was just wondering if theres something similar.

I know i see these on blower motors (in the 2x4 style too). But i also know a 14in airfilter works best in general. Are these just that much of a looks-vs-performance compromise?

Attached Files:

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think Speedway has those.

6. shop teacher

shop teacher

Anyone know of a part # for a screen or filter that would go in the opening ?Or any info on fabricating one? search showed nothing. Thanks, Bill

7. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

The standard Mr Gasket replacement element for those scoops measures 6.5" x 2.5" tall, part #1485. I use K&N part #E-3260, which specs at 6.375" x 2.5" tall, but if you set one on top of the other they measure the same - just under 6.5" diameter. Last ones I bought were just under 30 bucks each, but they are the washable/reusable high flowing filters. I use them in an older MPH brand scoop, same as a newer BDS, but these filters will also work on those fake Enderle style scoops with the butterflies. Here's "Roman" modeling one of mine,Lol.

Attached Files:

8. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Ahhhh 6.5" x 2.5 is a little better than i thought they were, With a cotton-gauze type filter this may not be terrible. Even that screen you guys are talking about, I could sandwich one of those "Proflow" type foam filters between two screen and leave the filter out. Hmm.

Have you ran these K&N types in the MPH scoop yet? I'm interested in how much it throws A/F mixture off once RPM's start to climb.
    This isn't a max-effort engine, but...It hard for me to do something in which form leads function.

Thanks for the info so far guys, appreciate it.

9. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Come to think of it, I've got an AFR meter awaiting install (Shhhh don't tell anyone). Maybe ill do some testing and report back on the effects, You know, just for kicks. between a 14x3 and that 6.5x2.5. It would be interesting to see if it would cause an over-rich condition of not, and where in the RPM range. Maybe i could lean to compensate.
    Am i thinking too much :eek:

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

An AFR will tell you only if its running too rich/lean.

We need dyno pulls!! :D ;)

11. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Johny, yes I have ran them in the past on 6-71 blown 406 SBC's and they have worked very well, but on a forced induction engine a little rich mixture is a good thing. I also ran 8" x 3" K&N filters on top of velocity stacks and didn't notice any difference at all between them and the scoop.

12. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I'm running a little higher compression, So its advantagous to always be a "Tad" on the rich side.
    I had a buddy run one on a nice small block, but it was ran with no filter...So its moot

I'm workin on a chassis dyno session, hopefully sooner than later.:D

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

First off you can't run a filter media across the front opening, as the bases for these scoops don't meet and seal off air from coming up from the bottom side. Second, a less restrictive filter might let them breathe better, but I'm running these same filters on two different cars, and never felt like they were starving for air. One is a 464 BBC with around 550 hp, and it's running fine. If I was really worried I'd take the filters completely off when I race it, but I haven't worried enough to do so yet.
    If you look at the size of the air opening on those scoops, I'd bet that the filters will flow as much air as the opening will allow in.
    [​IMG]

14. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

AHHHH Man that looks sweet!!
    Thanks for the input 427'. Good to hear its not real detrimental. Like I mentioned before, I tend to overthink little details ya know. Even more so before i cut a hole in the hood :eek:. Its got a low spot anyways Heeh.
    Love your cars too dude.
    That just looks soo bichin!

15. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

BTW.
    How did you roll that lip on the hood opening? or did you weld in a peice of piping ar something? I like the smooth look of that.