Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Go west old man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Thank for dragging us along with you two!

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Good Morning from beautiful downton Devils Lake ND, it's cold and dreary and it rained all night. Glad we have a good heater, (more on that later).

The first thing that we saw when we entered the Rydell hobby shop was this Caddy, they are building one of the concept cars that Caddy never built. Starting with a 40 4door they are about 1/3 of the way done. It will have a removable hard top.

[​IMG]

Next to the finished cars, my favorite is the 40 caddy 4 door that was built for his wife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

48 Sedanette, we had (a buddy and I) one of these in high school.

[​IMG]

One of his trophy walls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Loco under restoration

[​IMG]

The Boyd Coddington built fleetline 4dr, with a ton of miles on it. He drives these cars.

[​IMG]

This is a head that he built for his race car many years ago it is 2 DBL hump SBC heads, one of them cut in half and then welded to make a 6 cly head. I guess it really screamed.

[​IMG]

I remember this car being unloaded at Detroit when it when it won the Ridler. It blew me away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed west to Devils Lake and it started raining, this was no time to find out that we had no Wipers. Fortunatley we had done the windshield with Aquapel.

[​IMG]

Then we found out that we had no heater, Muggs toughed it out though.

[​IMG]

Outside of Devils Lake is Greater Dakota Classics now being run by Jamie and Ronnette, Stan Orness's son and daughter in law under the new name.

BLACK MAGIC ROD & CUSTOM at 8313 Hwy 2 E, Devils Lake ND
    [email protected]

Great folks who helped this old couple out of potentially dangerous situation. Thanks a ton guys.

[​IMG]

The heater turned out to be a clogged or broken vacum line and the wiper was a blown fuse. So after an hour or so of tracing and replacing vacum lines and changing fuses we were ready to go.

"This ain't here first Rodeo, she knows how to sit and wait". That is a quote from Brian Bass.

Jamie and his son with crew member Jesse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A plaque given to them by Sterling Ashbey for their work on the Merc.

[​IMG]

Gonna hang around Devils Lake today and head for Minot tomorrow.

B:)B

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Bob, It was great to meet you. Thanks for stopping by and checking out the place.

One minor correction. it is a '62 Monterey Wagon, not a Comet. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip.

Good Luck.

4. Looks like you are having a great adventure...thanks for taking us along!

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Bob, the greatest

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW is right! I'm enjoying the trip too!

7. Looks like you two are having fun. I once sprained my ankle [golf cart accident..don't ask] so bad the doc said it would heal faster if I'd broken it. Gave me trouble for about 3 years.
    Hey, if you two get to my part of the world, let me know and you can stay in our humble extra bedroom.

8. das858

das858

What a great trip, thanks for the ride. Saw you and the Chevy at Bowling Green, Des Moines , and Salina this year.

9. phat rat

phat rat

I'm sure that comment really cheered Maggie up.

10. my old black car is still a Olds even if you call it a Buick, Oh I Wish!!!!
    thanks for stoping, and hope the trip is a pleasant adventure:D

11. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I have now corrected it Adam, great to have me you also, see ya atBTT50'S.

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I knew that, I must remember to put my brain in gear before engaging my fingers.

13. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Here is a better pic of the whole crew at Black Magic Rod & Custom. Ronette and Jamie with their daughter on the left and their son on the right and No 1 employee Jesse on the far right.

[​IMG]

Ate at the Ranch restaurant last night, it was wonderful, I had a Pork Tenderlion basted in Honey and Maggie had a sirloin steak with a horseradish crust, both were great. It's a converted old barn with neat atmosphere and a great bar.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I posted some pics of us driving in the rain, what I didn't mention was that the wind was blowing about 40mph and coming in through the space between the top and the side rails. It was also raining like a tall cow pissing on a flat rock.

The rain stopped this morning but the wind is still howling at about 35 mph. We went sightseeing today and stopped at the lake and I got this shot.

As you can see, even the whitecaps have whitecaps.

[​IMG]

The GPS names this 43rd st ne.

[​IMG]

Here is a view down 43 st, not quite up the standards I am used to, at least they didn't route us down that way.

[​IMG]

We saw 3 deer, 2 huge red fox, and tons of ducks, do ducks come by the ton? They must around here cause there were thousands of them. Little gray ducks with black heads and white bills, I'm gonna half to look them up in my bird book.

[​IMG]

The car is a hell of a lot dirtier than it looks in the picture, it's suppose to be nicer tomorrow, I'll have to clean it up. Heading for Minot in the morning.

[​IMG]

To be continued.

14. roughneck424

roughneck424

Them ducks look like American Coots from here. :) aka Mud Hens

15. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

YEP, You are 100% correct, I looked em up on Bing and they are Coots all right.

B:eek:B

16. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Enjoy & Travel Safe

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Way cool Bob---love the trip so far. Thanks for taking photos at Eugene Viks place.
    Also loved the Frank Lloyd Wright station and also the Locomobile touring car with the aluminum body.

18. sololobo

sololobo

O.K. buddy, I am coming right out in the open with it, I Love Maggie!! There, just live with it, that girl is so cool and a trooper beyond belief. Thanx for sharing your neat adventure. You kids are the best. Looking forward to seeing ya in the spring. ~sololobo~

19. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing this with us Bob. This is what it is all about!!! Safe travels.

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Two cool old American coots on an adventure! Doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for taking us along Bob. Thanks for the vacation.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  21. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Good morning from beautifull downtown Devils Lake ND. It's 27 degrees and there is frost on the Chebby. We are headed to Minot.

In response to a diminishing number of requests I will expalin why we are spending so much time in ND. Because of the oil boom around Wiliston on the western border of the state, hotel rooms are damn near impossible to get. Espically around Wiliston. We have to stay in Minot and then do a 400 mile day on Saturday for the nearest room in Malta Mt. after than we should be good to get back to our 250 miles per day and see lots of chit.

I won the second annual Bob K dumb shit of the year award last night by leaving my I Phone in my pocket and Miss Maggie did laundry, oh well it's off to the ATT store this morning.

B:mad:B

22. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Frost on the ol pumpkin, it's cold out here on the plains, did I mention that it's flatter than BB's on a bread board.

[​IMG]

They are building a new dike around the lake and the road is on top of it, all mud.

[​IMG]

Remind me how much I love WWW's

[​IMG]

Notice that I took the 55 Dodge Royal Lancer short bar flippers because I didn't want to lose them. We made these out of 55 Packard Wheel Covers with short bullets.

23. Enjoying you enjoying your enjoyable trip, Bob but damn! I'd have gone a few weeks earlier in the year....'specially with a rag top car.

24. Bob and Maggie, Maggie when you were here you had your knitting bag with you. Did you knit the coat out of necessity? Barb says oh what we hot rod woman have to go though and put up with ( LOL ) Glad you now have heat ( Barb is always looking for a warm spot. If it's not 80 she's cold ) and wipers Take care and drive safe. Steve and Barb

25. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yeah but then we would have missed the color on the Agawa Canyon ride. Hey it's all good, it's gonna warm up into the 40's in the next few days.

26. roughneck424

roughneck424

Coots gone Wild !!! :)
    and another thanks for taking us along....

27. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Not much of a day, except for the wonderful 2 hours spent getting a new phone at the Best Buy in Minot ND the only thing that was even a little bit newsworthy was a stop in Rugby ND to see this extremly exciting monument.

[​IMG]

Looked out the window this morning and found 2 pleasant surprises, there is no snow on the ground. And for the first day in the last 5 days the wind ain't blowing at 40 mph, it will make driving a lot more pleasant today. I still gotta figure out how to seal the bottom edge of the top to the side rails above the side windows, I wonder if velcro would work. It is just fine except when there is high winds.

Today we head for Malta Mt. and go throught the oil fields that they are building over the Baaken (sp) formation in western ND and eastern Mt. I am anxious to see this, it has filled up every motel for 150 miles on each side of Williston ND. and double the population of Minot over the last 5 years.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks for taking us along.........makes me feel like I am on a roadtrip myself ! :D

Don

29. This is great!
    ...and updates from central America!
    :D
    Enjoy yourselves!!

30. I was just going to ask about the 41 Olds nose on your "Buick". Glad someone else has one of those things.

Doug