Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Boyer Gilfillian Ford

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Ford Camper at Sportsmans Show

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Car Show

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Downtown Chevytown

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Downtown Chevytown on Hennepin

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

1964 Chevys on the showfloor

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Ford Plant on St Anthony Pkwy

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Ford.jpg
      Ford.jpg
      File size:
      36.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Larson Chev

Bought my first car from Chuck Duggan there

1956 Chevrolet Belair 4-door with 62,000 actual miles for $104.00. That included the tax and transfer.
    Chuck gave great deals !

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  9. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Lundberg Carlson Garage

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Midway Chev

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Minar Ford on 18th & Central

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Schieks

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Stephens Buick in 1959

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Your scaring me Jimmy :eek:
    [​IMG]

15. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Stephens Buick and the new 59s

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Wow, 2500 pages and nearly 50,000 posts...Holy Crap

Nice thread Dog !!!

Stephens Buick on Harmon

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Swanberg & Scheefe Buick

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Yellow Cab at the library

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Little Johnny Sweet in 1947 all dressed up in white at the 1/2 mile Flat Track motorcycle races in New England.

[​IMG]

Johnny and his late Dad Charlie Sweet next to his Indian Team sponsored Flat Track racing motorcycle. Johnny being dressed all in white jumped up into his Dad's arms and got dirt all over his cloths. Dad or Johnny could care less, but Mom wasn't the least bit amused. Charlies face shows that he just came off the track after a heat race. You can see the outline from his eye protection. Charlie lost his teeth at 15 when he ran into a tree racing an old Super X motorcycle in the woods. He took his dentures out when racing.
    Charlie and his brothers raced for Indian until they went out of buisness in 1953

[​IMG]

Charlie in the late 50's when they went from racing motorcycles and cars to Skydiving. Charlie and his brothers Sandy, and Willy purchased a Skydiving School. Charlie was the pilot, and Sandy and Willy taught the students. Before it was all said and done they tought over 10,000 students how to jump.

[​IMG]

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Cool pictures Johnny and great story! Where was the track and where was your dad's diving school.

21. [​IMG]
    That's a strange lookin back glass on that 60 Ford!

22. The track could have been at any of the tracts from the past in the Massachusetts, New Hampshire area. My family started racing motorcycles in 1930 at the Topsfield Fair. In 1936 Indian got sick of my Dad and uncles beating the Indian team on the home tracks of New England with outdated motorcycles like the Super X. That when the Indian factory rep invited my Dad and his brother to race a factory machines they jumped at the chance. The brothers were told to meet the team at a race a few weeks later, and when they showed up at the race my uncle Sandy told the rep " I can't race that fuckin thing". " Why not" the rep asked. Sandy told him that " it was set up all wrong". So that's when the team rep asked if they would like to come to the factory and work at setting one or two up. So not only Sandy and my Dad went down to the factory, but their older brother Elston went along. I must add that Elston had sold guns to Pancho Villa in 1918 and his partner in that venture got the firing squad and Elston got life in Leavenworth. Elston was pardoned by President Calvin Coolidge along with with 1544 others. Elston became a Master Machines while his time locked up so when the Indian people asked the brothers if they would like to work at the factory Charlie and Elston took jobs. Sandy and Willy went back home. The two brothers worked at the factory from mid Summer of 1936 threw the Spring of 1937. Why were they asked to move on? We never new, but I remember in a conversation in the 1970's with my Dad. It slipped out that Elston had an Indian 4 with no serial numbers on it when he worked at Indian. We think that Elston was moving product out the back door and was asked to move on. We never did find out the truth about the sorted affair. Charlie always had a new Indian race bike every year supplied by the factory, so evidently he wasn't involved. When Charlie went back home in the Spring of 1937 he married my Mom and she never new the story about why they left Indian, only that Charlie was gone all Winter.
    Years later I was told that my Dad worked on a center less ball bearing machine, and that he learned how to make the patterns for the race cams profiling machine. He also worked at putting the first dry sump oil system on a few of the race bikes.
    I remember as a kid helping grind cams on my Dads home made cam grinder.
    When WWII broke out the twins and my Dad and all their friends left that Sunday night and never came back till the war was over. These were tough guys that took no shit from anyone. They were the last of the soldiers of fortune, but those are stories for a later date. Elston died in 1955, and my Dad in 1980, but Sandy and Willy lived to be in their 80's. Willy was still jumping at 80 years old, and Sandy guiding jumpers into the landing Zone.
    You asked about the location of the jump school. It was at the Stormville Airport, East of Poughkeepsie, New York. All us kids in my generation learned how to fly, jump, drive motorcycles and above all we learned how to work and were prepared for whatever life was going to throw at us, it didn't matter good or bad.

Charlie Sweet on his Indian in 1936,or 1937

[​IMG]

23. Sandy Sweet in 1930, or 1931 on his Super X. It was before the day's of leathers and all a poor guy could afford was a wool sweater of two.
    One story I remember was about the time they were all in the pits and each racer would go out one at a time doing "Hot Laps" . Sandy came flying in the pits and slid to a stop, They didn't run brakes. He yells over to his twin brother Willy, " Give me another sweater I think I'm going down in the next heat". The guy pitted next to them yells out " fuck it, fuck it! if I thought I was going to go down in the next heat I would never get on the damn thing. Fuck it I quite". They said he packed up and they never saw him again.

[​IMG]

Sandy Sweet on his factory Indian in the late 1930's. Note that his equipment was better and that he had knocked the front end off the front of the motorcycle. When he was in the thick of the fray he was one tough son of a gun.

[​IMG]

24. Great story Johnny, although a bit of a tainted background for your uncle I would say more guys like them today would be a good thing.

25. Willy and Sandy Sweet in their 70's still running the jump school. Willy on the left with his punch so that he could punch the jumpers tickets. These guys were tough as nails right up to the end.
    With all the skydiving that was done from the 1950's till the 90's nothing was found on the internet about the old Stormville Skydiving Center.

[​IMG]

26. Ya, your going to get some of that some time, but the Sweet family has a grand heritage. Were descendants from a family that contributed more than we took. A great, great uncle was John Edison Sweet the inventor of the micrometer caliper, and the straight line engine. He was also a key founder of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers of which my Dad Charlie and myself along with many of my cousins have all been members at one time or another. We have had golf professionals and others that have distinguished themselves in many different ways. I have a son that's a composites engineer and is on the short list of twenty five engineers in the US, and one of two hundred world wide. We had a few like Elston, but you will always get the good with the bad, it's just the way life is.

27. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

Hey, Tucker Fan 48.
    Thanks for the Twin Cities car dealership photos. I got to most of them picking up parts.
    Also learned to parallel park those 8 door Checker Limos in one try when picking up at the hotels. J N Larson, Swanberg and Scheefe and Minar were the local East side dealerships. There was Central Motors for Plymouth and Chrysler and a Studebaker dealership north of Larson Chev. Nice archive.

28. Five'lgetyaten it's a goofy reflection. Look at the pattern on the door.

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2500!!!-------Man, thats a lot of "Browsing"!!!!!!!!!!---Thanks to all that participated!!

30. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I remember the Studebaker dealer. Right near the Banks Building. Central Rambler was up on 26th and Central.

Of course there were a ton of dealers out on Lake Street. West Broadway had a good share of dealers as did University Ave in St Paul. They are almost all gone now but a lot of the buildings still survive. Maybe someone has photos of more if them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.