Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rodder's Digest / Buckaroo Communications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 34 kid, Sep 2, 2010.

1. The 34 kid

The 34 kid
    from New York

Ya know, I gotta tell ya somethin'......I've been around the Street Rodding community for quite some time, about a good 50 years of my 56. I've been involved in all areas of the hobby with a huge show of support, including subscribing to just about every magazine related to street rods, customs and vintage cars. But nothin' burns my ass more than being cheated by a corporate conglomorate like Buckaroo Communications. I gave those people $69.98 of my limited disability income for a 4 year renewal to Rodder's Digest on July 16, 2008 and then I extended my subscription on November 11, 2008 for another 2 years @ $24.99 to take advantage of a savings offer. I also sent them $29.99 to extend my sub for 12 more issues of American Rodder on November 8, 2008.
    Shortly after that they disappear, along with my money. Did they tell me? No. Did they tell you? Probably not. They just just get up and go. They never sent a refund or anything.
    You think I'm pissed? You're F-N' right I'm pissed. And I'll bet the whole staff is runnin' around to all the major events makin' like nothin' happened, rappin' with the reps, hangin' with the "good ol' boys"....you know what I'm talkin' about. All the big shots feelin' bad for them cuz their company went down. F that. Send me my money back, scumbags. I got bills to pay.
    And go ahead, make my day and contact me. I was a loyal subscriber since the beginning. Let's see where your loyalty is. I can't wait to hear from you.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shoulda bought Rodder's Journal instead. :D

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EXCELLENT! Sorry to hear about the other mag...

4. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

They were very erratic with their newstand continuity years ago.

Sorry for your loss.If there's karma....

5. I learned my lesson after Pisano bought it from Burger. They canned it and started sending American Rodder when it was a bikini rag. I called to complain and they quit sending anything and never refunded my money either. When Buckaroo started it up again I was leary and just looked for the good issues on the rack. Now all I get are Sheep Rodder and R&C, 3 years for $30 for both at Back to the 50's.

6. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Hey I had aguy name Tex, do the same thing years ago its part of the game they never had real jobs

7. Leroy Tex Smith published a cool magazine designed for guys like us,,,then he started publishing more and more specility books and Hot Rod Mechanix went down the tubes.

Gary Burger's Rodders Digest was good until Buckaroo took over,,

And who can forget Rodders World,,it was short lived,,I received 3 issues.

i went to the cleaners on all three.

I only subscribe to on magazine Jalopy Journal. HRP

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I used to love Rodders Digest. I've had a letter to the editor published telling them not to screw it up when it got sold. guess it didn't do any good. the Buckaroo version was Rodders Digest in name only anyways.

9. Yeah, I've only got the one as well and thought it was the only - but wasn't it simply renamed American Rodder?

Steve

10. seldom scene

seldom scene

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, "Lil' Buckaroo" took a lot of peoples money on their way out. Life can be miserable when your business fails , so I don't think anybody is partyng it up in Cancun on our 29.95's, but it still stings.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Honestly, when you buy anything like a long term subscription or a membership something like that, you are making a gamble.

You are paying for something up front and you may or may not get it all, maybe just a little of it.

It has to be thought of as a gamble, and you know how gambling goes, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

And you know what they say, don't gamble what you can't afford to lose.

12. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what John Diana's circumstances are now, but he was livin' high up until his new, revolutionary business model for the printed word failed. I was only there for Burger and Red Shoes, anyway. Didn't try to give me my money back, either. vic

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have a very simple superstition that prevents me from subscribing to any magazine. It doesn't matter what publishing company, how strong, how big, or how many years they have been in business, The second they receive my check, they will go into epic fail mode. It's happened with alarming regularity since I was a kid. Kids of the seventies, remember CAR MODEL and MODEL CAR SCIENCE? They were my first kills, one right after the other! The first time RODDERS DIGEST went south - me again! You blame Tex Smith? Ha, me again! See... this is why I don't subscribe!

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Could you do the rest of us a favor and not even LOOK at Rodder's Journal in the store?:D

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ah yes, the monthly mag bitchfest....carry on fellas :rolleyes:

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I kid you not RodStRace, that's why I don't subscribe to them right now! I did when it was the only way to get it, and mysteriously, those were the years they only managed two or three issues!I was terrified that I killed the whole deal all that time...

17. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

I sent my buddy a subscrption for christmas last year he never got it made me look like an ass wife odered me a subcription two years ago never got it, what the phuckkkkk.

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

However, if you'd like to start watching QVC every chance you get......

19. Thumper

Thumper

They shoulda changed the name to Fuckaroo communications. I've had it done to me too.......really chaps my ass.

20. ems customer service

ems customer service

but this makes the other posts seem so much better

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Naaaa, QVC isn't my style, unfortunately!

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You think you got screwed, you shoulda tried working for him.
    Your sub money ain't shit compared to expense reports that never got reimbursed.

-Brad

23. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Lemme guess.....Ol JD is off counting his millions in his high dollar yacht, driving one of expensive exotic cars, or hanging out with one of his "famous" friends. Seemed like he always found a way to mention at least one of those things in every one of his editorials!
    IMO If he would have grown slowly, rather than starting a dozen repetative titles at once, and offered a little cheaper subscriptions, he'd probably still be in business!

24. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

<lol>

HA HA! Now we know who to blame. Do you have a customer service number that we can call with complaints? <lol>:D

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I wouldn't know... haven't talked to him in a few years, and none of the guys I used to work with have heard anything about him, let alone FROM him, in a few years.

-Brad

26. Anyone actually go by their office and knock on the door and ask what the fuck?

I can see a multi-year sub for like $30, when they're $6 a shot on the newsstand as long as you get more than five issues, you're at least even.

27. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings to all! The demise of American Rodder and Rodder's Digest is sad but certainly not unexpected, I must confess that I too had suscribed to both magazines in the past but quit when the tech articles dried up and the magazines started featuring cars of questionable styling. (See Photo) The red Model "A" belongs to Bruce Crower, and yes, the car was also prominently displayed on the cover of the magazine but a rear view of the car was used in order to hide the ugly truth. One would think that it would be impossible to find an automoble equally unworthy of publication but through great effort I somehow managed this singular feat. (See Photo, with apologies to Steppenwolf)

Attached Files:

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My dream was ONE more issue of Rodder's Digest....just one more issue.:(

29. Steve and Big Olds will get their props some day Denise! Just read some of his early tech stories last night. Miss Steve..................:(

30. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

I am surprised no one mentioned losing on the original Hop Up. Two issues and then a fizzle. I think the guy's name was Tim something, who re-assimalated himself back into publishing somewhere.

Mark Morton got it back and put it on a great ride, but I was sad to see his end.

I also really liked Hot Rod Mechanix and the original Berger Rodder's Digest.

Jay