Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Railton Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 23, 2010.

1. I have a Brooklands Motorbook on early LSR cars that has a number of period articles and a cutaway drawing of the Railton. It appears that Reid Railton just altered the ring and pinion angle from 90deg to accommodate the angle the engines were mounted at. The driveshafts go stright in to the final drives. They built everything from scratch, so why not?

2. Ramblur

Ramblur

The neighbor has a couple Napier Sabre engines and a Hawker Tempest V
    currently in England. I won't miss the chance if he ever gets to the point
    of lighting a fire in that badboy.
    http://blog.kermitweeks.com/?cat=33

3. eddie1

eddie1

That was my first thought as well.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He wasn't so much worried about living or dying... He was worried about going 400 mph.

5. eddie1

eddie1

Agreed, but the safety police would not allow that car to run anywhere today.

6. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Reid Railton was THE British racecar designer back in the day.
    He designed land speed cars for Malcolm Campbell, John Cobb, George Eyston and others.

7. Buford Solomon

Buford Solomon

I am thinking the same thing. And more, what if someone like Roger Penske would tackle the land-speed records. Not with a jet or rocket, but with a piston engine.

Back in 1927, Henry Segrave drove a Sunbeam to a top speed of 207 mph on the sands of Daytona Beach. Driving in a straight line; no turns. The car was powered by two 1369 cu. in. 12-cylinder aviation engines. At Indy this year, I think Franchitti (and a lot of others, of course) was lapping at something like 218 mph. In a car powered by a single 213.6 cu. in. engine.