Register now to get rid of these ads!

mr ed trailers,anyone got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quickrod, Feb 5, 2008.

1. quickrod

quickrod

gettin real close to the frontmotored car being done,would like to find one to put the car in behind our 66 wagon

2. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

What is a Mr. Ed trailer?

3. quickrod

quickrod

sorry,i probably should have been more specific,i'm interested in finding an enclosed trailer like the ones you saw alot back in the 60's-70's that were basicly just big enough for the dragster to fit in.when you saw it getting towed down the road you new it had a dragster in it.if i'm not mistaken,i believe the guys who have the jade grenade have one,and i think the were calling it a mister ed trailer,may have been a joke between them though,not to sure...hope this helps.

4. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Like the ones thery had on the TV show they carried the talking horse in ?
    [​IMG]
    It's a horse Float .

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

no, its a long trailer sloping to the ft that would house a fed.

6. turdytoo

turdytoo

Mr. Ed trailers were built in Fresno at a shop owned by E B Wills Steel Co. (Mr.Ed). He ran Top Fuel hydro's and I think a Top Fuel Car . Lot's of his motor work was done by Danny Olsen and Ronnie White.

7. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Quickrod:
    Here two shots One is Mike Kuhl's at CHRR 07. And one from MAG> of Mr Ed's own trailer.
    dwrfab Don Ross

Attached Files:

8. lolife

lolife

A friend just sold his to the Beebe & Mulligan team last year. They are kind of neat because there is no tounge weight, and it is easy to move around. They didn't have winches in those days (I guess), so after you raise the front up, it takes a couple of big boys to roll the dragster in up-hill. The rear door acts like a ramp. Very solid construction, the fiberglass is chopper-gunned and has a lot of plywood in it.

Here's one I found on the web (somewhere)...

[​IMG]

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

AWESOME!! I WILL have one of those - even if I have to build the friggin' thing!!!

10. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Jacin:
    You will have your car at HRRR this year, am I rite?
    If I know how you do things you have already drawen it up and have a cutting list. The main frame is 5" or 6" heave steel channel and the floor is in the bottom leg with the axels mounted on the bottom. Mike has storage boxes flush in the floor between and in front and behind the axles. He ha fiber glass front wheel recievers to capture the wheels with no tie down.
    dwrfab Don Ross

11. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

I found one about 12 years ago for $350 Real Nice,...... it's not for sale .............passed on another for $2500 last year, I'll try and find the number ....

12. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Hi Don, Ahh you're very good!! I DO in fact have it drawn up:eek:
    I've been collecting parts for the trailer - I've got the torsion axles so I figure the rest is all down hill:eek:

As soon as I fire the car I start cutting steel for the trailer....To Be Continued......

When's the HRRR ?? I am VERY close to firing the motor - I just gotta put the finishing touches on the tank and run some lines - a little gasket sealer here or there and vroom vroom!!!:D

13. Ronmayes;

So,what is the history behind these trailers?.when were they built, and how many would have been around..
    I think I read about them once in an old Hot Rod mag, but doubt I could find that mag. now.
    Thanks;
    1939fiat

14. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Jacin:
    I ment to put NHRR in Bowling green Fathers day In June.

15. I can't believe someone here doesn't have a history on these trailers..
    I ask the nitro geezer group, and they didn't reply either..

16. turdytoo

turdytoo

Some of the older Fresno guys should know the history. Danny Olsen could give you the history if he would. I remember the Mr. Ed blown fuel hydro had a Mr. Ed trailer they built and bolted together so they could and did chrome the whole thing.

17. SSSHHHHHH !!!! It's a big goverment cover up man, secrete of the big time, old time racers. They only want you to know about a talking horse....lol

18. IBB41.. I sent a note off to the 1320 group,and to the Fresno county library..
    there's got to be someone out there who has the history ,and can't wait to tell us...LOL

didn't think it was a 'trick question"..LOL

19. here's another one in the background

[​IMG]

20. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Don, You know me - slower than molasses. I don't plan taht far out - we'll see - so far my only goal is to get the car down the local track - everything else AFTER I get comfortable. Though I was digging through my pile of trailer parts today....... can you get any pics of the framework on your buddies??? I'd love to see exactly how they did things - especially your buddies in floor boxes. I was thinking using rectangular tubing for the main frame not sure if there's any advantage to using channel.

21. turdytoo

turdytoo

I would be willing to bet Sanger or Kindsvater Boats was involved in the fiberglass part of these trailers.

22. lolife

lolife

I think Ed Willis (Mr. Ed) built boats. He was a sponsor for Charger and Sanger though.

23. thanks for the info guys, keep it coming..

24. Bubpster

Bubpster

I posted a reply but have no idea where it went so I will try again. I just joined HAMB a few days ago so I am not confident yet. The Mr. Ed trailers as mentioned, were built in Fresno, CA (about 100 mi. north of me) from about 1968-76. My good friend here in Bakersfield purchased one a few yrs back because he is a front-end nostalgic drag racer. The trailer was from Sacramento. Someone cut the nose off back about 6 feet to make it a front-flip. I have since re-fiberglassed it back into one piece and looks pretty good. I would post a few pics but not sure how on the HAMB forum. Email me if you still want more information on the trailer. [email protected] Dennis

25. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

A friend here in TX had one (his son R.C. is on here) that was originally used to haul one of Woody's Magicar and while it was a very cool piece about all it was good for was keeping the car dry. Very little room for tools, fuel, or any spares. I have an older short trailer that has much more room than the Mr. Ed, but I can't stand up it in and rarely use it.
    But they do look cool, period correct, and are aerodynamic.

26. You see a couple pictures posted in the latest issue of Hot Rod, even make reference to them in one caption.

27. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Phil: Wasn't there a young fellow running a FED in Lancaster two years who had a Mr. Ed trailer ? Jr. Fuel FED, baby blue, full body....

28. carshopowner

carshopowner

Found this picture

Attached Files:

29. Neil, the only one in Buffalo (Lancaster) was my buddy Paul's, which Rick now owns. He ran a 180 inch T-body fed out of it, whic Rich Vensa now owns..lol
    If you see that guy selling the old racing dvd's at Waterdown the Grand Bend dvd has the car in it.

Attached Files:

30. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

I saw one a while back. but the front was really narrow and felt lined or something. H removed the front wheels and slipped in on a dolly using that door you see to align it and remove the dolly after the nose was in place. then it was strapped in rear and in front (through same door). It was an awfully big process to get it in.