Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The '55 Olds in W.W. & The Dixie Dancekings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Fox Movies ran this tonight, and I hadn't seen it in years, so I watched - can't buy this movie on a legit R1 DVD for whatever reason.

Never seen it? Think Smokey & The Bandit, except set in 1957, and instead of hauling illegal whiskey, Burt Reynolds is robbing gas stations - but only one chain, one he used to work for and has a grudge against - and in trying to evade the police gets wrapped up with a band (featuring, among others, Jerry Reed and Don Williams). Also, instead of being chased by Ralph Kramden, Norton is the lawman (Art Carney rather than Jackie Gleason).

His car is a '55 Olds 88 4-door hardtop that's been customized and is referred to as 1 of 50 known to exist of a special Golden Anniversary model - something that never existed, presumably a tip of the hat to the '53 Fiestas. (Someone in an old thread called it the "Golden Goose" but that was the name of "the first drive through bank in the south" also owned by the oil company, that they try to rob).

I can't seem to find a picture of it online, IMDB doesn't even have all the facts right on the movie and Wikipedia doesn't have a page for it at all. I did do a search on here just now and it's mentioned a few times in some of the movie threads, but that's about it.

Anyhow, I just wondered how far off the car was for '57 as far as being period correct - it has full rolled pans front and back, but with a continental kit, moon discs, wide whites, with horizontal tube grille and curved nerf bar bumpers up front. Front pan and grille surround could be made from a pair of Stude pans like a lot of cars used. Stock fender skirts. Colors are gold top and rear with black nose and sides seperated by the stock trim. The interior is redone to match in black and gold, with the gold as tuck & roll inserts on the black seats. It might be lowered some, too. I'd have to look again, the headlights might have been frenched or painted to match, they might not have. Stock taillights. Oh yeah, and a pre-Dukes "Dixie" horn, of course.

Could have been a couple cars done up that way, too, given the abuse they put the car through for some of the stunt scenes, plus when he finally has to ditch the car they burn it up. Which is too bad, because it's a damned sharp looking car, 4-door or not.

Would be interesting to hear the story behind where it came from, if it was someone's old custom, or made up for the movie, or just what.

Good job in this one with the vehicles, too, I didn't notice any big goofs - even the busses and the police motorcycle look correct for '57. A couple cars are way rustier than they should be, and there's a too-new bumper on the ground in one short scene, but that's about it.

2. Dman

Dman

3. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

great movie, neat car

4. Just thinking about that movie the other day. It showed first about '75, I believe.

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I haven't seen the movie in years, but I always thought it was a really cool looking car. Seems like there was an magazine story on the Olds in Custom Rodder???? or some car mag. ????, back in the mid-late 70's. Probably still have the magazine somewhere. Kinda remember that the cars (more than one were built), were specifically for the movie. I think that one of the cars had a small rocket motor in the trunk, hidden behind the Continetal kit. It was used for some jumps in the movie. It seems like it was a fairly well known custom car shop that built the cars. Darryll Starbird, pops in my mind, but that may be completely wrong. Would love to get a DVD copy.

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Been lookin' for a copy of that for years.

7. This was a good movie and had alot of great stars like Jerry Reed, Ned Beatty, Don Williams, Mel Tillis and even Art Carney. It is available on DVD and so is the sound track.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I believe it was 1975. I recall the movie well as it was the first "real date". We saw a double feature (WW and Young Frankenstein).

9. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

A guy here in Wichita used to own it, haven't heard if it's still around though.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

11. i watched the movie not long ago myself as i had not seen it in years , the car is badass and the movie aint bad either the last time i seen the movie was at our local drive in..

12. 54 savoy

54 savoy

cool thread i've been wanting to see this movie again for years,you're right can't rent it,buy it or anything.hell it's the only reason i pay the cable bill t.n.t. is 'spose to play it on occasion,did find this though...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nk0Hpk3NIE

13. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Another great Burt classic !!!

14. Fox Movie Channel has been running it now and then, usually if it's on once it will be on several times in that week - lots of interesting stuff on IMDB.com about it. Reed's first movie appearance if I remember right.

15. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Fortunately, I recorded the movie from TV on VHS probably 20+ years ago. I remember seeing it at the movies as a kid. Quite the "not-from-California" custom, the car is just so "southern correct" as far as customs go, especially being a 4-dr and no noticeable lowering, given general road conditions, especially access to the old homeplace. Probably wouldn't be too far off from something you would have seen even in the '70s being driven by an Elvis look-alike. Really mild, but yet so unlike anything you would expect to see, it almost perfect!

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just found this short one page article on the Olds. It's from the October 1982 issue of Classic & Custom magazine.

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      513.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  17. Very cool movie....And I really dig the '55 olds!
    [​IMG]

18. xstar_ron

xstar_ron
    from canada

the last time i saw on of the cars for this movie it was in a field in Main near the canadian border with a tree growing up thru the floor and right out the window and rusty ,i am trying to find the picture of it , was a shame but the old guy that owned the car had hundreds of cars there most in the same condition . i heard he pased away about 10 years ago and all the cars were sold off duno what happend to it then .

19. 61TBird

61TBird

20. So Rusty;
    what kind of a computer you have anyway?
    I did a google search and found about 20 dvds from $5 to $15.
    Try again,
    Bill.

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I've not been a big fan of 4 door cars till this one came along. It was GM's first 4 door hardtop coming out in mid 55. Got it a few years ago with 94K on it in running condition with a C-kit included. A mere shave of the rear door handles makes a big change. Body trim matches the one in W.W. & the Dixie Dance Kings. It's an 88 Holiday hardtop. I have several DVD's of the movie to go along with the California Kid and the rest. Fun flick for sure.

Attached Files:

22. Rich1028

Rich1028

23. flatoz

flatoz

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

That is a great movie (havent seen it in years myself).I am not a big fan of mordoors either ,but that 55 Olds was cool.Looked great with the nerf bars and moon discs ,and the tutone color scheme was very slick...

25. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I heard that Burt Reynolds made so many bad movies, that now when somebody else makes a bad movie, he gets a royalty. Nice car though.

26. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Was digging through our VHS collection and found my copy of this that my aunt made for me about 20 years ago, since she knew it was one of my fav movies as a kid. Damn I just love that OLDS!!!! Could totally picture that thing pulling our roadster around. Its been years since I watched it.....still one of my favs!!

Louie

27. lukey

lukey

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

So why did he torch the car? I could tell it was the same car, removing some of the custom features and paint would have done more?..

29. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

I also had a date on a Sun. evening, went to the drive in to see it. Went in a 58 GMC short narrow pickup that I had painted up and dropped a 348 4 speed in,had bucket seats from a 64 Impala SS. Had about half a thermos left from the dance the night before of whiskey sours. As I recall had a pretty good time, and I think it was about 1975 also. Last drive in movie I have been to.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said Sir!! :p