Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Driven Streamliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, that is exciting news.

3. Crankhole

Crankhole

That car is awesome. I'd love to see it restored and on the road.

4. MBL

MBL

It is always killer when something like that turns up. COOL! I'd drive that to work. :)
    Tim
    MBL

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That car is sexy, I don't care who you are! That would be cool to drive anywhere!

6. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I'm not positive it's the same car , if not very similar . I could have bought it from a guy I know about 10 years ago , I think he wanted $15,000 for it at the time . You can see it in the Nicolas Cage version of Gone in 60 seconds right outside Robert Duvall's shop in bare aluminum . Take a look and let me know if it's the same , we were curious about the history of it and I can let my friend that had it know what the story was .

7. nexxussian

nexxussian

Aluminum body? No wonder it's so light. I bet it would fly too. Cool.

8. mcload

mcload

More positive proof that something was in the water back in the early 50's! I can't imagine how much time it took to form those panels. Body still looks to be in great shape...interesting project car to say the least. Looks as if it may go faster in reverse! Here is a link to the article in a magazine:

Click here

(scroll down 10 articles)

Patrick

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Stunning car!!!

10. ratster

ratster

cool car, i'd drive it

11. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Not sure if I really like it but I can certainly appreciate it. From the front it has got sort of a carp thing going on. Back end is great. Do you know of any of the details of where it was found or how it was identified?

12. Rikster

Rikster

13. This a very interesting car that is being restored by Dave Crouse and his team at Custom Auto in Lovelan, CO. (Ithink I have even posted pics of this car before). Supposedly it is based on one of the Audi streamliners. You can see some of the pics here or go to my picture site at http://homepage.mac.com/mrakdesign/PhotoAlbum5.html.

You can also see the progress on this car at http://realhotrods.com/index.asp?fuseaction=carsprogress02

Also Jake is on here sometimes ad can illuminate some on this car.

Sorry for scooping you Ryan, but this fine car has been in the works for a while.

Attached Files:

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Awesome!!!! Scooping is encouraged around here!

Are you the same guy that sent me the restoration photos?

15. Don't think so, but I have put these pics up here a couple of times, mostly in threads based around the Audi and Auto Union cars that it is based on.

I saw it in June 06 at Custom Auto, right after the Goodguys show in Loveland, it was in pieces then. Now it looks as if the chassis and body are ready to go together. Jake Yenny (oldneb5window) is a member here, though he doesn't post that much, and he is one of the main guys over at Custom Auto (a great guy and awesome builder one top of that).

There are a couple more pics of the shop over on my pic site. Those guys build amazing cars. Henry Astor's new 32 roadster are amazing, and I have driven Henry's sedan and can attest to their excellent build. Just wish that I had the money for Jake's 27 modified, it is a great car.

Can't wait to see some more updates.

16. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Well t t t timing is everything.
    We just finished a whole article about The Timbs Special in the NEW Hop UP vol. 9. (Pick one up at the GNRS or on the website www.hopupmag.com)

[​IMG]

17. Rikster

Rikster

Great to see som emore update photos of the car and its chassie... Amazing stuf.

Thanks for sharing

This will be so cool to see driving down the road again.

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

19. mcload

mcload

I just took a look at Custom Auto's website and was surprised to see a couple of Dave Duthu cars there, especially his “Chet Herbert ‘Beast IV’ Streamliner”. Dave is a friend of mine and I'd heard about the Bonneville racer he bought, but had not seen any photos. He also has a saltflat bellytank racer that he says will remain unrestored, as well as a bunch of other cars that include a Bugatti 35 and 37.
    Dave owns a little shop here in Houston, Lone Star Vintage Restoration.

I'd love to take the Venus to those guys in CO for final paint and for mounting the body (and a couple other things). Thanks for posting.

Patrick

20. Damn, I would. The Venus is a cool car.

21. autobilly

autobilly

Styling looks very much like a '30's, art deco, cast aluminium, styalised roadster ornament that I have. You may have seen them, they were fairly common at the time.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm trying to picture how eloquently (ungainly) the woman in the dress would appear attempting to enter and exit the car with that dress and high heels...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. metalshapes

metalshapes

You have to speak well to be able to get in and out of that car?

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...right...should have said elegantly...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Anderson

Anderson

All due respect for it's history and tradition, but that thing is kinda ugly. The cockpit being so far forward really throws the proportions off.

26. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

that is a really cool looking car... :)

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Y'know, looking at these early pics makes me realize there were a helluva lot of super talented aluminum body builders back in the day... Who were these guys? .... Rickster, got any info? Valley did aluminum bodies, didn't they?

28. 2shay! Or is that "toosh,eh?"

29. that is one cool car,almost eleagent,i cant wait to see it all done

30. rexrogers

rexrogers

Just a little more info on the Timbs Special the car had independant rear end. you have to realy like your passenger due to the seat arangment. and the color was a dark gold metalic maroon. the car is in primer now and the car runs great we test dorve it before the body went on. hopefully the car will be completed soon. It has definatly been a diffrent car to work on and interesting to restore and be able to trace some of t he cars history and the men who worked on it. If I can figure out the picture posting i will try to post some diffrent shots of the car.

Rex Rogers