Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Labor Day weekend update:

[​IMG]

So week one with the car, so far so good. Actually its been great, I've been working on the car after work until about 11 or 12 every night before heading in. Just enough time to get something done and feel accomplished before I pass out cold. You can see my uber deluxe working space above.

[​IMG]

I dont want to hear any of you guys with lights actualy built into your shop complaining alright? haha. thats like a thousand watts of warm right there ha.

[​IMG]

got these photos in my email from the future inlaws of the car being loaded up and thought I'd catch up and post them. yes. I am one of those guys with albums of every little build detail of all the cars hes greasy hands on haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yikes! tailgate much?

Anyhow, I spent the week trying to get the car cleaned up. I figure its a good place to start with any project. You get better acquainted with the car and learn its little flaws, and you end up with something clean to work on. i know wrenching on a car and emerging all greasy and dirty its the manly route to go, but i like to see what im doing.

I also wanted it to look sharp for this Labor day weekend when we would be having some engagement photos taken, or as i like to think realy nice before photos haha.

my awesome friend Clay Lomneth ~ http://claylomneth.wordpress.com/ & http://claylomneth.4ormat.com/ will get you there~ shot them for us and he will be visiting often to document the build also. so im excited to have some good working/build shots. that being said i wanted the car clean and i couldnt go to crazy the first week tearing out all the seats and pulling sheet metal off. It was actual a good thing becuase it let me focus on cleaning the car further, wear i found the car is waaaay nicer then i even thought, and gave me time to think about the time line of my build.

there are things that need done before it gets cold, things i cant do until i get the old motor out, things that i can do inside and will save for winter when i dont feel like cranking up our 35,000 + btu open flame heaters to take the edge off the -40 temps we get in the winter. So i got to take some time and realy think it out.

So what did i actualy get done? I got the back seats bottom out, the front seat gutted, the interior completely striped, the old tar/roofing paper floor insulation tore up<- reveiling nice painted floors! I also managed to clean the trunk out, wash the car, wash the windows and spend 5, yes 5, hours waxing it.

The car is so solid that i felt like cleaning and waxing it before starting in on it in earnest would be some good project "car-ma" and would keept it easier to clean up while working on it over this fall/ winter.

alright so some more pix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i kept wondering if waxing cars wasnt an inspiration for people 'fish scaling' their customs..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sarah washing windows

[​IMG]

and catching some Z's while serving hood prop duty.

[​IMG]

the underside of the hood, fenders, and floor look very similar to this. some sorta bleached out pink material peeling off to reveal shiny black paint.

[​IMG]

though the flathead is pretty stinkin dirty. i figured i would feel the most honest trying to sell the motor showing what it actually looks like instead of doing some spray paint rebuild and have people think its more then it is. its not rusty past some little surface stuff that's to be expected but its suuuuper complete other then the starter and after realizing that the first time i tried to turn the motor over by hand it was in gear, i popped it into neutral and it rolled right over smooth as butter! awesome. hopefully itll find its was into a cool rod :)

this weeks plans include finishing up cleaning the inside of the car. It's got nice paint under all that dusty dirt and i want to see it!

I also want to pull the gas tank and see if itll still hold fluid, yank the front seat, yank the hood, and pull the motor/trans/radiator. i think thats a good goal for the week. if more gets done then that, im ok with that to ;)

in between all of that we saw this rad 56? ford hard top chilling at the park.

[​IMG]

it was pretty clean, we saw all sorts of neat cars out for labor day weekend and even got to take some shots for the engagement photos with some of the cars i feel in love with decades ago. Im way excited to see them and share them when we get them from clay.

hmmm, what else.. i ate this giant crazy tomato.

[​IMG]

until next week, keep the shiney side up!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

so quick update, nothing to exciting happening just spending 3 or 4 hours a night pulling stuff that needs to come out. got the front and rear seats out to expose some nice shieny floors, phew!

and started to work on getting the gas tank and radiator out, we are pulling the motor and trans sunday morning so the radiator needs to come out. After its all out and the motor is on its way to nebraska and oldsboy's T project its time to get to work on the frame thus the gas tank coming out.

im trying to beat the clock with the cold weather looming in the future with this frame prep stuff. im going to wire brush the shit out of it and hit it with some of eastwoods products to seal it up all nice while its warm out and everything that bolts to it is off it.

so far so good other then a lot of nuts not wanting to come out, haha so far ive got 6 hours into getting the rad and gas tank out :S ha. oh well, trying to keep telling myself to work smarter not harder haha.

anyhow ill have some pix later once something more eventful happens and things are a bit more cleaned up so you can see before and after shots instead of sorta between shots.

but since updates are no fun with out photos here are a few of the engagement photos with the cars we had taken this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my good freind clay lomneth @ http://claylomneth.4ormat.com/

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

radiator is out! damn that thing weighed way more then id have thought it would haha. either way its out and the gas tank bolts are cracked lose waiting for me to pull it the rest of the way after we yank the motor and trans tomorrow afternoon.

gas tank was giving me some trouble but after i figured out via the hamb how the thing its mounted all weird it was much easier to make some head way. the tank just like the rest of the car seems to have been plastered with some possibly spray on insulation that looks pink to me. flaking it off and the tank is shiney bare steel underneath! i think there is maybe a 6X12 inch second that has some slight surface flash type rust and thats it, a decent sized ding and a drain plug that just wont come out for nuthin and thats about it. we'll see what dumps out of it and maybe ill get to keep it and use it and cross it off my 'to buy' list haha.

all the mounts and bolts i could reach are soaking in some kroil over night hopefully it makes the motor pull tomorrow easier then im expecting :) ill keep you all posted :)

5. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Some suggestions... 350/700R4, 3:55 in a Ford Granada 8-inch. Dual master on firewall using GM pickup swing brake pedal. S-10 gas pedal. Fatman Mll with power rack. Sway bars front and rear.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

any ideas on what to source the sway bar from? i dont think ive ever owned anything with a parallel spring rear with a sway bar before<--converting the 46 from the stock traverse set up.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

man what a day! put 7 1/2 hours into it and the motor still sits in there smug as can be haha. got all but the trans and torque tube bolts off, spent most of our time fighting exhaust thatd been there for decades and having to exepectedly pull the toe board to get to the trans bolts.

tell you what for something thats just screwed in that thing was a bastard! haha, the heads of the screws were worn down to just about nothing. just took a little extra swearing and vice grips to get it out...well and a cut off wheel around the pedals. how are those pads held on the pedals anyways? they look like they are rivited on or something?

hopefully some pix later on when i pull them off the camera...even more hopefully some with the motor out!

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

and its out! big thanx to oldsboy's mad torch skills, it was a bit of a wrestle but the motor is out and on its was to his hot rod T sedan and the trans is sitting in the garage waiting for some one to buy it :) pix and a better update inthe nex few days when i can unload the camera :)

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

10. JRussell

JRussell

congrats man!

11. eliguzman

eliguzman

awesome man!!! looking forward to more progress pics!!!

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

thanx Joe :)
    saw you at the drags downtown and was going to say hi but i was about over it with all the heat and you seemed preety taken with that mazda that was destroying everyone else haha.

13. JRussell

JRussell

Ya it was hot as Balls! but it was a blast,next time stop over dont be afraid of those rotarytards ya dan has the drag race bug (it set up for autocross)he has doubled that things horsepower since that day downtown next year will be fun .beat by 80 cubic inch!!

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

oh shit! that thing was walking away from obviously dedicated drag cars and old men in vipers like they couldnt find the go pedal haha. next year that things going to be scary fast ha. you still have your A?

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

[​IMG]

Photo update...maybe a few to many photos lol

alright so at the end of the last big update i had gotten the car fairly cleaned out and spent a couple days getting it clean for photos, with that taken care of i dug in!

first on this list the front seat!

[​IMG]

of course with a seized up track the seat wont move, so in some grimey shadowy light i took them on. i used the crappy picture because thats about all the better you could see them and thought id use a photo to relay that haha.

[​IMG]

ultimately laying on the floor with a wrench on the bottom nut and my top hand left to handle the bolt i ended up taking a looooooooong extension and putting it threw the exposed seat coils. hopefully its less trouble to put the seat back in after they're recoverd :S

[​IMG]

before

[​IMG]

after!
    thought it was weird that i hadnt found anything in the car yet, it was all under the passenger side seat! haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all cleaned out...well maybe swept out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a valve, broke valve keeper, two pages from a book, a thermostat, a glass marble, 1935 penny, 1949 dime, green plastic comb, church key, and a box for 6 hersheys mr goodmark bars advertising kitchen knives on the back "your value 3.50 your cost $1!" haha

[​IMG]

getting a little croweded, might need to move that seat to the basement this fall...ugh wait it is fall :O

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

[​IMG]

real world working conditions, after the seat was out i set to working on getting the gas tank out... still working on that... and getting the horn and radiator out so we could pull the motor/trans.

[​IMG]

this sucker did NOT want to come out!

[​IMG]

gotta be nearly 30 pounds haha, think i might stick it onto a 12 volt battery and see if i can lose the rest of my hearing.

[​IMG]

after some prying and utility knife surgery on the hoses i got the rad yanked!

[​IMG]

that bastard was heavy! i dont know if ill use to it cool the small block but im going to rinse it out and do a little air pressure check and see if its still good. maybe ill use it...maybe itll go on the hamb classifieds

[​IMG]

next to yank the hood, all but one bolt came out super easy. the last one was a hole were a bolt should have just screwed in. instead i found a smaller bolt in the hole with a nut on the other side. that wouldnt be a big deal if it wasnt nearly impossible to get to the nut side. add that my fingers are about 3/4 to an inch wide each and lets just say it took some time and some 'words' to get it out.

you can see the pink-ish under coating of sorts under the hood flaking off revealing shiney paint. its all over the car and seems to have done its job judging by the good paint and metal all over the car. seems weird that its pink?

[​IMG]

custom nose job? haha, not quite right for this moonshine/cochran styled build ;)

[​IMG]

sucess! made sure to take alot of photos of how things were bolted together before i tore it apart. we all know how fun that sort of puzzle is after it being apart for 5 months.
    figured photos would make it go back together with less hassle :)

[​IMG]

you can never have to many tools :) bolts in place for longer then your parents have been alive are a bit stuborn ;)

[​IMG]

charles, "the butcher" found out just how stuborn those toe board screws can be.
    we needed to yank it to get to the trans and the heads of the screws were nearly eroded flat away on the bottom side! the drivers side area of that panel is preety much the only serious rust spot on the car so i wasnt to worried about it getting tweaked coming out as it would eed replaced anyways.

charles hasnt ever worked on some old american steal and the worn away hardware that keeps it in place so i let him at it.

[​IMG]

holding it like a prized fish he figured out why some one would mess with something like this, the feeling of accomplishment!

[​IMG]

much better!

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

[​IMG]

oldsboy showed up day two into pulling the motor and we took care of the last few bits holding everything together. was a learning experance for me about torque tubes and old fords trans for sure.

[​IMG]

out in the light ready for our "cherry picker"

[​IMG]

the flathead in its original home for the last time before being banished to nebraska

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what? your cherry picker isnt green?

[​IMG]

factory reman'd fuel pump! thats neat

[​IMG]

on its way to its new home in ryans T sedan!

[​IMG]

took the opertunity and washed out the engine bay and floors with some dawn and water pressure in prep for getting cleaned up and painted this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that fender is about chest high now! looks like its trying to pull a little three wheel low rider action haha.

got a 9 inch for it last night out of a 66-77 bronco with 3:55's in it and some 3:00's on the side, and a line on a 350/350 with everything still bolted to it to check out this week. hopefully all goes well and by the end of the week the frame/floor/inner fenders/firewall/inner door structures and roof will be cleaned and painted and i will have that stuborn gas tank out of there!

thanx for all the help along the way guys, i apreciate it :)

18. BigMac

BigMac

Nice progress. Wish I were there Broseph!

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah im stoked for you to come up for thanksgiving and mini-thrash with me on it :)

so far i think ive got 50-60ish hands on hours on it the last two weeks, some hopefully temporary hearing damage from some grinder sparks, and about 5 hours into trying to get the gas tank out...so far, its still very much there ha.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

alright, so a little less photo intensive update for the week this time.

i figured with the motor and trans out that i should take advantage of the warm weather while it was still aroud and clean up the engine compartment. figure if i get it done now then when i put the motor in i dont have to take it out or try to work around it later.

[​IMG]

a ton of screws,nuts and bolts later the fire wall was stripped and i found this! there was also a date marked near it as well. from memory i want to say it said 5/45? and noticed the body tag on the firewall had KC stamped on it. i dont know if that was part of someone gettinga new title for it at some point or if it was built in KC but kinda neat either way to see chalk thats been there for possibly 65 years.

[​IMG]

with everything coming off the 'motor side' of the fire wall some things came crashing down on the inside half in response. i think this is probably a heat that has a seperate blower and ducts for defrost? im not positive, i just know they put some big hole sint he firewall to mount it and they had a hose runing between the two. im thinking that the one with the doors may make a cool spot to hide things. maybe gut it and hide your 12 volt recepticles or audio in ports for your stereo in it. maybe the fuse box? guess we'll see what happens.

[​IMG]

stary night?

[​IMG]

or swiss cheese? like i said, alot of holes in the firewall. figure ill leave them for now and see which ones come in handle for running wires and what not. ill fill the other holes with either rubber plugs or maybe make some little plates for the motor side and bolt them on threw the existing holes like delete plates and paint them to match.

[​IMG]

so after it was all clean i went to town sanding and priming.
    the firewall got krylon ivory, the inner fenderwells gloss black and the frame and under all the fenders and floor got eastwoods line of rust encapsulisors in flat black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i little dusty as i took the pix a few days after painting.

[​IMG]

also got the floor that wasnt already shiney black still scrubbed down and painted with the eastwood products as well. seems to realy be soaking it up might need a another pass. also did the inside of the trunk as well but no pix there.

[​IMG]

and a little less work but more money yeilded me registered with plates and everything!

other little tid bits from the week included getting the radiator flushed out, seems leak free i might still use it if it doesnt sell in the classifieds. put another couple hours into trying to get the gas tank out haha, and got a good chunk of the old rotted wiring out as well as pulling the old nastey insulation off the firewall.

this week im going to god willing get that gas tank out, get the last 3 foot long piece of stuborn exhaust pipe out along with the stock battery tray. pending all that going well i should be able to get a good start on getting the rear suspension losened up and ready to pull and the gas tank flushed and cleaned up to re install down the road. not sure how im going to get that stuborn rounded off drain plug out but ill figure it out...i hope.

then its off to lincoln to speedway to snag a parallel leaf rear suspension set up, pick up my 9 inch on the way back to the shop and have something to do for the next week! i dont want the car to be non-rolling for more then it has to be.

thanx for all the help so far guys :)

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

alright so this weeks update, a little light on the photos...and progress but hey, it happens.

goals for the week here to get the gas tank out, get the last bit of stubborn exhaust out along with the battery tray and loosen up the rear suspension.

what happened is i torched the head off the front gas tank mount, had extra hands around with water sprayers and made sure the tank was actually empty... still a little please dont let us explode prayer was said. Then water sprayers in hand took a beefy grinder to the bolts that hold the rear brackets to the frame.

after the heads were gone we took a punch and knocked the bolts out except for the front one that doesnt seem to have enough room to come out. awesome. the tank is sooooooo tight up in there that this week we will have to go back and take the bolts that hold the rear bracket to the tank out. gotta love 7 busted cage nuts :p

all the work time went towards the tank for the most part so the exhaust pipe thats sorta wedged into the X member had a stay of execution until we can sazall it out. its got a cruddy old clamp keeping it from just sliding out and from its position it just has busted knuckle written all over it if i trie to get it lose, so its gettin cut out when i get a minute.

the battery tray, it just seems like its going to be in the way of the small block, and even if its not itll be easier to drop it in with it out. i managed to get one bolt out and one bolt head snapped clean off before finding that ill need some sort of wobble extension to get to the other two. its all progress but sometimes it doesnt realy feel like it.

something that i hadnt planed to do quite yet but got on this week however was pulling the dash out.

I had figured that it would be a good idea to get the dash painted and sorted out before i had all the new wiring and gauges ready to go in. i know alot of people enjoy mocking things up 700 times but id rather put it together once if i can get away with it. anyhow, a cousin of mine mentioned that if i could get it pulled and taken apart quick that he would have a window in his schedule at the body shop to spray it for me.

so not wanting to miss my window of generosity i layed on my back until i figured out how exactly the thing came out. I searched around on fordbarn and the hamb looking for info seeing as i dont have any of the books everyone says are a must have for this build and found preety much nothing. i did however find photos of the dash by itself and pix of cars minus the dash and figure i could figure it out.

only took out one door hing mount bolt in the process but i got it out after finding all the screws and popping the windshield garnish moldings out.

[​IMG]

threw it in the back of the ,sigh, honda and took it home to play with.
    got everything off it in a couple easy hours save for a stubborn screw and a few knobs but feeling like im making good progress on that. ive been careful to take photos of how everything was installed and how it came out for later on when it goes back together.

you can kinda see in the photo that im laying it all out kinda how it goes back together. hopefully ill get it painted, the new gauges bought and the new chromed moldings for it soon enough so i remember were it all goes! then itll hang on the wall in the house looking sharp until its ready to go back in the car haha.

only thing left is to wash it off and bust down the small bit of flaking up paint and teeny bit of rust on it and its good to go.

[​IMG]

the only casualty of that night was the speedo glass. I had taken everything off other then the drivers side trim and the speedometer and after i removed the bolts from the trim i noticed it wouldnt pop off like the other side. so i figured maybe the bezel on the speedo kept it in. i removed the two nuts holding that in and saw that the gauge actually come out threw the back. well with it all lose it still wouldnt budge! not an inch!

i recalled reading somewhere that the bezel was crimpt in place so i thought that maybe the bezel was holding the trim and the speedo together, a slight pry with a screw driver was enough to crack the glass and the whole unit wobbled out a bit. i look at the back and for the first time saw that a tiny, like teeny tiny max 1/16 inch wide washer was under one of the nuts i had removed and was stuck to the bolt holding it all together.

well of course i pulled the tiny washer and out it came just like that. of course :p

i guess ill chalk that one up to reading how to do something and seeing how to do something are a little different.

of course with the gauge out i saw where the crimp in the gauge is about an inch down from the face. oh well, gotta learn some things the hard way ;)

other then that I hit speedway this afternoon and grabbed myself a parallel leaf rear suspension set up to put in in the hopefully near future. hopefully this coming week everything thats 'sorta off' gets taken all the way off, the rear suspension gets well on its way to swapped and i can finaly do my celebration dance with that gas tank out and flushed!

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

alright so quick update, got the rear suspension stuff all unpacked and after some head scratching figured out which bolts go to what and how it all goes together.

[​IMG]

made sure to label everything as to where it goes after i got it all figured out.

excelent build quailty but massivly lacking in the 'this is how you assemble and attach it' department. shouldnt be to much trouble though.

[​IMG]

figured it would be easier to paint while it was all apart and out of the car so i got everything primed.

[​IMG]

including these valve covers ive been hanging onto for a couple years, they were preety aweful ill h ave to find some before photos. but a couple nights of sanding i got 3 layers of paint off and everything clean enough for me.

[​IMG]

and then this morning before work sprayed everything shiney black, this is after the first dusting. had a little trouble spraying straight down and being to close because of it but its all going under the car so its not a big deal to have some imperfections in the paint and im glad to have learned on this stuff instead of something people will see. defenatly figureing out a way to hang this stuff next time.

[​IMG]

and the valve covers done! its the same ivory as the firewall. hopefully the motor/trans im looking at tonight pans out and ill be able to see how the color combos in my head for the motor look in real life :)

[​IMG]

also got the dash finished and ready to send to body/paint. i need to find a before shot to post but i didnt realize how filthy it was until id spent a week striping and cleaning it!

everything came apart preety easy save for the fact that only 2 of the 8 zillion nobs and buttons on this thing were held in the same way haha. hammers, screw drivers, and all sorts of pliers were involved for certain.

i had thought about trying my hand at getting a nice shiney rattle can paint job on it, doing it just like you would with a spray gun but out of a can. but after thinking about it some more and realizing im going to be staring at it alot driving it ill leave it to a proffesioal...the garnish moldings however are definatly up for game. not looking forward to lossing my finger prints sanding and sanding but itll be worth the reward if they turn out good enough for this driver :)

just thought id keep yall in the loop :) headed to KC for the weekend so tearing off the old rear suspension and starting to mess with all of that will have to wait till monday;)

23. Looking good buddy! What are you doing in KC this weekend?

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

We are going to Lawrence saturday morning/early afternoon and checking out baxter ford and some knitting store that has a plethora of spinning wheels im told, haha. then onto KC we are free all afternoon then going to go see some bands play sat night then head out sunday morning back for home.

was wondering if you guys were back state side if you werent doing anything if we could come check out your sweet pickup?

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

We are going to Lawrence saturday morning/early afternoon and checking out baxter ford and some knitting store that has a plethora of spinning wheels im told, haha. then onto KC we are free all afternoon then going to go see some bands play sat night then head out sunday morning back for home.

was wondering if you guys were back state side if you werent doing anything if we could come check out your sweet pickup?

26. Ah, the Yarn Barn. That's where my wife bought her wheel. She recommends the Louet.
    Anyway, enough girl talk, Ha! I should be around the house this weekend working in the yard (blech!) but I would love to show off the truck. I'll PM my # to you in case you guys get a chance to come by.

"Jefe, do you even know what a plethora is?"

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  27. OMA_Turk

OMA_Turk
    from Omaha, NE

good progress Tim, looking forward to the updates.

Hope you have a heater for that shop of yours. the winter is heading this way :)

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

haha yeah im trying to get all the stuff i have to do in the big shop that is heat dependent done asap. Im stock piling things i can do inside while watching tv on those two cold days as well.

but yes, we have 3 heaters( 'coldest' one is 35000 btu) to make up for the lack of realy and insulation other then the 2 feet of lumber and old doors leaning against all the walls ha.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

30. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

looks great. what a find. good progress too.