Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 2011 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Muttley

Muttley

A trailer full of cookies?!?!?

Someday I'm hoping to make the Drags.............I'm thinking 2014, by then my Daughter will be finished with High School.

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks guys. This was the first time going for me and wont be the last. It brought memories of sneaking under the fence at early Colorado tracks. There were quite a few of us down at the far end of the track, and it was a great vantage point for the top end speed. It was the first time for the yorkster, and my son/n/law on a track, and they both did well. Thanks again and see ya next year.

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

While it wasn't in the cards for the Gordons this year the coverage is great, brings back all the sounds and memories from the seven we have attended.

Kudos all around to everyone involved, see you all next year fo sho!

4. 4speedman

4speedman

Ryan and crew, we make a lot of passes and attend many events during the racing season and see quite a few tracks however it is always a pleasure to be part of this race and wouldn't miss it for nuthin. Thank you for the kind words and tireless work you guys put into this event year after year. Hats off to you and heart's out to the folks of Joplin for all they have been through this troubled season.

5. Deadbird

Deadbird

Hey Ryan, I'd have to agree that whatever changes you made seemed to have worked. The weekend had a much better feel than two years ago. This was my 3rd time at the Drags (had to miss last year). I had a blast, as usual. Hope to be able to bring my son back next year and maybe even something to race. Two wheels or four, remains to be seen.

Glad to hear the HAMB Alliance Auction was a success too. Jesse and I love contributing, in what ever way possible. We're already planning next year's offerings.

I took lots of photos and posted to Facebook. I'll try to get 'em up here. Would have loved to post straight to the HAMB. Just waitin' on that Droid app. :rolleyes:

Thanks Ryan & all for an excellent weekend!

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Looks like I'll have to get there maybe next year.
    As a guy who was going to the drags in the late 50's here in Southern California, I can say that this is about as close as anyone's ever going to get to the raw roots of pure racing, fun and friendship.
    Your event looks similar to the days of the old Fontana "Drag City" and San Gabriel (which proceeded Irwindale).
    The best days of my life were spent at those primitive two strips.
    Bare-bones, the way it ought to be.
    Just folks having fun. Thrashing and sharing and lots of laughing and hand-shaking, too.
    "Heaven on Earth" is sitting with your friends in the dirt, working on the car (any car) and trying to squeeze out one-tenth of a second more.

Congratulations to all.
    And one more thing:
    Until you have volunteered to help organize and oversee an event like this, you will never know the huge amount of work that goes into it.
    The behind the scenes work is mostly unseen.
    Those who are responsible are providing those that enjoy it an enormous gift.

7. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks to all who helped put this on! This was my third year in a row and I I will be there for the rest!! Awesome time!

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I gotta get out there! When's next year's date?

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

even if you have to fly out, we'll pick you up at the airport.

10. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

the hamb drags are the dont miss hell or highwater event..

11. this is what it's all about. you guys didn't fix my truck worth a damn ;) but you did more than you'll ever know.

[​IMG]

12. friggin' awesome - that's all I can say

13. Muttley

Muttley

Thanks, but I'll never set foot on another airplane. I used to fly all the time and figure I've used up just about all of my flight luck. People tell me its much safer than driving and I always tell them you dont fall thirty thousand feet without a parachute in a car wreck. ;) :D

14. Spike!

Spike!

I got a call from Don Moyer last week, inviting me to ride along with him to the drags..unfortunately I couldn't accept but i really wanted to. Its just not in the cards for me until I can get on my feet financially. i have to choose my battles carefully these days. Damn day job. Who needs em? Somebody hire me as a full time car photographer...anybody.. Maybe I can go next year..been saying that since the first HAMB drags...damn.

Spike

15. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

incredible show ryan and alllll the help. the yay-hoo's are greatest hot rod people i've ever met and enjoyed the time with them. thanks for the encouragement to compete for the trophy and it sure couldn't have gone to a better family. without a doubt the very best event i go to each year. had a challenge getting the family in 3 different cities at once(okie city, kansas city and joplin) but we were all back together sat afternoon. thanks again ryan for putting this show on!!!!!!

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man.. I swear someday I'll make it to the drags.. Work sure does have a way of ruining a good time! ;)

17. rooman

rooman

I had wanted to attend this event for some time and I am very glad that I finally bit the bullet and made the effort. Thanks to Don Moyer for letting me ride down with him, it was a blast apart from the cone zones in Indiana. The drags were great but the evenings in the parking lot were just as good. I got to hang out with some old friends and made some new ones too.
    If all goes well I will be bringing my top fuel car next year. My mate Dennis (the Aussie who towed Kev, Marky, and Squeek's cars out) has an Aussie top fuel car (Scorcher) that raced against my Soapy Sales digger down under in 1970 and on Friday night Dennis and I hatched a plan to put the cars back on the track together at the 2012 HAMB drags. Obviously we won't be able to make full passes but look for some smoke and nitro flames.

Roo

18. Haha! Sorry Nate, though in my defense, I did say I had the tools but not the knowledge :D. Great meeting you guys!

19. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Don,
    I just wanted to thank you and kiwi Kev for coming so far away this year for all of us to be able to enjoy watching you run....For me when You and kevin lined up together, I got goose bumps....You two guys have ruined me for life!!...I have to have a willys Now!....I loved watching every run you and kev made, the lanch is really what does it for me, .....For me "It's not how fast you go, But How you go fast!" Anyhow thanks for making my weekend,

20. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

WOW! Still hearing the cars taking off the line!

We had a really wonderful weekend watching some of the most bitchin' cars in the states light them up and roar down the track! Met some new friends and caught up with some old ones over the weekend. The enthusiasm for the event was everywhere and it seemed everyone just got "it".

Thanks Ryan, Marcie and the whole HAMB Drags crew for putting on a truly spectacular event and allowing us to be part of it. You guys rock!

21. Hugh thanks to everyone that made the event what it is. It's been on my list of to do's for about 7 years, and finally made it. Had a blast, track was great as was hanging in the parking lot of the hotel....now let's see.....tub should be done before '12....

22. MAN, what a great time. The HAMB drags really has the "feel" of an early nationals type event. The parking lot time is great at night, and the one day at the track is killer. We had the little honker back in action, still working some bugs out, it is better to creep up slowly and build a tune up then go balls to the wall and blow up everything the first pass (sometimes). Heres a quick blurry video of our first check out pass,

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GDWXWDEBsvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We made a final push start and pass at the end of the day, breaking the tires loose with some water to mimick a REAL pass from the early days. The ET's arent the greatest but were workin on it! If anyone has any vid or pics of that final pass, let me know! We want to put on a period perfect show of how it really was done,,,, we got some more tricks coming!
    Good seein rooman, mr Moyer, kerry, king chassis, (its killer getting oiled down isnt it!) and meeting Kiwi Kev and the shifters guys as well, and everyone else. Big thanks to RYAN for putting on this great event, the pictures you used in this post of me working on the engine and the hamb drags with the plugs on the injector are KILLER!!
    And finally, thanks to RICHCRAFT MIKE for coming along for the ride..

comin back the return road..
    [​IMG]

Pit area...
    [​IMG]

DRAG CREEP!
    [​IMG]

End of the day..
    [​IMG]

'chute thrown in the seat, hot oil out after the last run, sunset in the back, always the last ones at the track... AWESOME!!
    [​IMG]

We will be back at Larry's SHOWDOWN DRAGS in October before i head out to bakersfield for CHRR... we got some surprises comin...

TH

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  23. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Sorry about the cones and oil. The oil was pushing past the breathers and covered my goggles in oil. And made it all look blury. But I knew one thing. It finally was headed past 500ft and I wasnt lifing for nothing!! Thanks for lettin me run a true nostalgia car at your track. Now with oil covering my face , goggles, cowl and helmet. I feel like a real digger pilot. ha,ha.

24. Brian, i was standing at about 800 foot and godamn you looked the part! oil was sprayin, that chevy was screaming, hunched outta the roll cage, you were leggin it! chutes out and over the block... Thats real 60s drag racing man!!

TH

25. You guys did good! I think I have a nasty intake leak but as long as I kept the pedal down it ran ok. Good to meet you Mike!

26. Didn't think of that...! :)

What about a jet powered dragster...?;)

27. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I got to do Bonneville and the HAMB drags in one trip.

Best week of my life....

28. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

ROO i can't wait! it was good to meet ya and so ya know, me and the boys had a decent pile of "Tinnies" going by the end of the night!

29. Ha Ha Ha!!! You Rule Nate!

TJJ on iPhone

30. What Cowtown said!

Thanks to the CA Kiwis & Crew! Soo Epic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ruler's!!!

TJJ on iPhone