Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The HAMB-B-Q Find Forty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, Jun 3, 2011.

1. There are a few things in life that really catch your attention, and it’s not the same for everyone. Nor does it stay the same forever. For some its boats or planes or architecture or automobiles or mountains or the ocean, you get the idea. I’m sure you know what it is, that feeling, boots stop, knees buckle, head cocks and you just stare. Dumbstruck with beauty, perfection and enlightenment through your eyes. Sometimes this moment is wet, could be saliva running out the corner of your mouth, could be sweat beads, could be your drink spilling, could be….umm… I’ll leave that one alone. Point is, the internal excitement is so strong you are dazed in bliss. Well hold on to your root beer, cause I’m going to tell you one of those stories. One of mine.

This story is about a BBQ find forty Ford. I had never really been a forty nut. This one though, it made all that stuff happen, the buckled knees and wet all over (could have been because I was in Kansas and it was 90 degrees). It was April 2008 in Abilene, KS at the annual HAMB-B-Q hosted by NoSurf. I spotted it through a tree, in the back of the park. No hood, white firewall, covered in black lacquer, chrome reverse & wide whites. The dual four Muncie backed Corvette 327 was uncapped screaming “BAD ASS”. The car teased 60’s survivor, vintage black with white pleated interior, ’59 Corvette steering wheel, patina’d chrome garnish moldings and yes, a chrome glove box lid! Ha Ha, if you don’t know about the chrome glove box door, ah...ask your pops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So many of you have now identified the car as Greezy’s. This was the first time I met Greezy and he couldn’t shake me, I had my prints all over his car that weekend. He built the car in his two car garage in Ashland, Missouri. And it is perfect.

The next time I ran into the two was at the 2008 HAMB drags. While Greezy was driving like a “grannie” the shifter plate on the 1-2 fork loosened and rounded the flat surfaces. The forty and I bonded over an oxy/acetylene torch and brass. The shaft was better, usable and not race able. While the forty and I didn’t spend much time together I did get that giddy feeling of holding a girls hand for the first time. I waved goodbye as she rode home on a trailer.

[​IMG]

I was still very fond of the car, I couldn’t shake that stance and attitude, she’s just right! The fenders had been color sanded to the primer in some spots, while not intentional, it just lends to that “built in the 60’s” persona. I can only liken it to a striking woman, not a super model, just soo sexy.

The next time I saw the lady in black was the April 2009 HAMB-B-Q. We were old friends at this point and this time I was greeted with a hug. On our cruise to Marquette, KS I got to ride shotgun, man was that a blast. And little did I know, she had something in store for me. Well maybe Greezy gave it to me? He let me take her for a ride, drive rather, and of course he was sitting shotgun this time. I treated her right. It was so exhilarating. She was smooth. I’ve now fallen head over heals for this forty. I think this was the hug and French kiss, and I had my hand on her shifter too! Uhhh, something about this doesn’t sound right? Maybe I should call it the kiss of fate.

( I think we are farting ? )
    [​IMG]

We were separated until August 2009, I got snubbed at work and couldn’t join the trip to Bonneville with the crew, NoSurf, Grezey, HiBoy32 & his son. They did stop in for eggs, bacon, toast, showers, and naps on the return trip. What a teaser, they were in and out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still looks the same..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So sometime early 2010 Greezy called me up and mentioned he might want to sell the forty, he offered it to me and I just didn’t have the dough. He and the Mrs. Greezy drove the forty to HAMB-B-Q in April, I was only mildly disappointed knowing that I had a chance to own the beauty. He was ambivalent about selling at this point, salt in the wound.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. Fast forward to mid April 2011, Greezy, NoSurf and I were all on a conference call to trouble shoot a “Clunk – Clunk” noise that killed the motor at a light when Greezy pushed the clutch in. The car wouldn’t start after that. So off to the garage and the pan came off. Broken Crank. Done. The black beauty did not make it to the HAMB-B-Q this year. Over a plate of amazing bbq Greezy and I were discussing the future for the ol’girl.

We struck a deal!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> TooMuchStuff agreed to bring the car to Abilene in two weeks, in trade for a 1956 Ford truck that he needed transported from Denver. My pals offered to help me swap the motor if I had one. So, I robbed the motor from my sectioned shoebox. I really wanted to drive the forty when I got home.

[​IMG]

All went well, I made it to Abilene late Friday night. It was a long two weeks with little sleep from pure excitement. The forty rolled in around 9 am..

[​IMG]

On the phone with Greezy getting the lowdown on how to pull the motor, any tips are helpful!

[​IMG]

We had the motor out by lunch time..

[​IMG]

NoSurf swapping parts from one to the other..

[​IMG]

A few guys came by to help get the car back together, pictured here is Mr.Beemer tightening up the valve covers.

[​IMG]

It was a long and DIRTY day, we were beat up!

[​IMG]

We were finished around 8pm, we cleaned up a little and ate some more left over bbq. After resting a bit we drove the coupe to town for fuel and a wash.

[​IMG]

I was up before the roosters, I loaded up the horse power at early dawn anxious to get home and drive the forty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it home safe and sound by 2pm Mother&#8217;s day. I was unloaded and on the road by 4. I took my pops for a ride, a few neighbors and even a cute girlfriend.

The excitement didn&#8217;t end there, I picked up the kids from school on Monday in the new car.

[​IMG]

I&#8217;ve been able to enjoy the forty now for a few weeks, I love her.
    My new lady Josephine.

3. I am so jealous! Rode in her out to Mokan in 07 and got to help fix a tstat leak at the drags. One of my favorite cars.

4. That and you guys are much closer geographically than Dave, Shortbull and I are way up here!

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm so happy for you sweetie! Looking forwarded to seeing you behind the wheel at the HAMB Drags this year.:cool:

6. I've been doing little things to her, resealed the rearend, greased the u-joints and took her to the upholstery shop for a new headliner, a rear seat for the boys, and a rebuild on the front seat. Here's a few shots from last week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just now on my way to pick up Josephine, I'll post pics soon!!

7. Greezy

Greezy

Mike "Josephine" couldnt be in better hands. Someday maybe Ill find that special one...naw probably not. Although I actually did keep that car longer than 2 previous wives, that should count for something. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Maybe even hand it down to the boys.

8. Wow! I am jealous! You now officially have too many cool cars for one dude!

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

Cat's out of the bag now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I don't have an I-phone suckahs!!!

10. ^^^^^DAAAAAMN!^^^^^^ That looks sweet!

And, Ha!!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  11. GREAT story!! I'm happy for ya. What a sweet car. Enjoy! Todd

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

more pics! more pics! great thread, mike. i can hear your excitement in my head. it's infectious.

we need a Vagabonds New England Fall Foliage Weekend.

13. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Awesome story!

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it is both happy and sad at the same time... now can we put a hood on that damn thing.

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I am happy for you Mike.

16. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Hey man great story , i know the feeling i'll tell mine later but i have to say the " ONE" for you is in the the picture with the " ONE " for me , that 37 willys that Rusty built it's now out in California making my dream come true !! congratulations

17. Greezy

Greezy

No hood for you! With Mikes plans I dont think you would want to cover that up with a hood.....Im just sayin.

18. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Troy, I still can't believe you did it.....Mike...well...I expect you to bring (drive it to the BBQ) next year. You know, the scene of the crime where all of this took place..

Congrats to the both of you, seems like you both have smiles on your faces.

HellRaiser

19. Greezy

Greezy

Dallas it was just time I guess. I had already made my mind up to sell it when it puked the crank. Mike appreciates the car for what it is, I guess I no longer did. I am happy that Mike loves the car and its in good hands. Hopefully I can get back on track time wise and persue another build.

20. Thanks for passing the forty on, I love that she is so drivable and cool! I do love her for what she is, and you did her right. I'm enjoying doing small things, & I love the new headliner and back seat!!

[​IMG]

Mine too! :)

Thx, I'm looking for a scatter shield now!

Too many for Henry J's for sure (3)! I do have them listed in the classifieds.
    I think thats why I love this car so much, I can drive it, its done. It is painted, has interior, & can be driven anywhere, and it's BAD ASS! Non of my other "cool cars" run right now. HA HA! I was ready for a nice driver for my boys and I!

Let's do it, I'm ready to drive to the east!!

Ha Ha, I love that! I saw that car at Bonneville last year, I couldn't get to you to say hello. Very Cool Car! Those Missouri boys know how to build fun cars!

Hood? People might think I'm driving Gary's forty if I had a hood.

I expect to drive it too!

21. I cant tell you how great the interior turned out, I had the seat taken apart, new padding, tightened up the springs, loosen up the tracks. New head liner, and a really cool seat made for the back, just perfect for the boys for short trips, hell I even fit back there nicely. I'll take more pics tomorrow and post them up. The front seat is awesome, I don't fall into it anymore, and I can see over the steering wheel.

So I have a big trip planned for this car, LARS in less then two weeks! I told my dad we are going to the LA Roadster show this year. In the Forty! Alot has to happen between now and then though. I plan to put the 327 back in the car this weekend and get a few miles on it over the next week. Then we leave on June 13th or 14th.

So here's the picture story on the 327..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big question was why.

I took the motor apart and took the block, pistons and rods to the shop. They cleaned the block and while cleaning the oil galleys found something very strange, rubber bits of gasket.

[​IMG]

These bits had restricted the oil to the main and rod bearings, this explains why all the bearings were so worn. The early 327 motors used a canister style oil filter, and this motor had an adapter for a spin on filter.

This is what was on the motor, a later model (350) lower adapter and the spin on adapter.

[​IMG]

This is what the original (327,283,265) lower adapter looks like with the spin on adapter. It leaves a step for the large o-ring to sit in, it keeps it in position.

[​IMG]

And compared together upside down. Notice the one on the right provides the step for the o-ring.

[​IMG]

I decided to buy a new one piece Perma-Cool adapter, supper nice and sits lower to the block then the others.

[​IMG]

I started last night with the bare block and parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And at 2am I was done with the short block!

[​IMG]

22. Cool! Yeah, love that lil 40, saw it at B-ville a couple times!!!

23. Mike, I am very happy that this all worked out for you. Nice ride!

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

hoods are cool. :p

I still say hood :p Louvered hood...

25. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Very COOL!

Congrats and keep post'n progress....

26. Nice mike! After all this time I think she'd look funny with a hood.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

HOOD, HOOD, HOOD...
    :D

personally I just think the lines are better with the hoods on than off. And aerodynamics, it'll be faster... :p

At least it's not a shoebox with no hood, they look really bad without them. :eek:

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story. And one cool car. Normally I say hood on 40's and most of them would look wrong without the hood but somehow that car looks right on the money minus the hood.

29. Also I felt a little funny reading your story, like I was going through your diary :) Sounds like you had it bad! If I were Troy I'd feel like this was the best possible way to sell the old girl.