Register now to get rid of these ads!

52-54 Ford...What to look for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANewBeat, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ANewBeat

ANewBeat
    from Floriduh

I am contemplating looking at a 1953 Ford Crestline (less engine/trans) and was wondering if there are any common issues to look out for. Any help is appreciated.

2. Around here it seems they are bad for the inner rockets and floor braces to be completely gone. The gone. The 53 Victoria I'm building for a friend is solid everywhere else bit gone there. I gotta redo all the floor braces and the complete inner rockets on both sides.

3. Check the front crossmember for rust. It's a a common problem, but not a terribly difficult repair

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Make sure that the hood is LATCHED!!! If there is an extra hood and hinges (driver side in particular) snatch those up as well. No matter how secure the hood IS, it WILL fly up unless you are expecting it....at all times!

5. lower front fenders - and everything all the others said.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Pretty sure that the front crossmember issue is only common to the '54 models, which use a different frame.

The hood hinges like to break, and replacements are expensive, so check the functionality of the hood. What was said about inner rockers and floor supports is very true, heed that info. Take a good look at the roof drip rails too, I've seen a few rot out there and it's a tricky place to repair.

7. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

as stated hood hinges SUCK .parts are kinda high for them and the aftermarket has just stated making some good stuff for them...i put a s10 clip under mine ..was the best thing ive done to it ....

8. Gretschplayer

Gretschplayer

...all of the above, plus (this could be strictly a problem for cars from the 'rust belt') rear quarters, above the wheel wells. The hood latch return springs get brittle with age, with potentially nasty results, too.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I agree with the rust issues - the floor braces and rockers are very vulnerable areas. Make sure you go over the floor both from the top and underneath to get a true idea of its condition. To my knowledge there are no repro floors or braces available - anything I have seen that is advertised as such does not come close to matching the original patterns. I have had to rebuild all the floor braces and replace the floor from the cowl to the rear seat in my 53 Ford convert, a very big job that took several days of work.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

For plenty of info from those in the know,join the 448 member 1952-56 Ford Owners social group here on the HAMB most of us have "been there,done that" we will be glad to have Ya' come onboard.As far as the hood hinges go,lube them monthly, you can pick up the new reprint of the 1952-54 Ford Service Manual on evilbay for $30,best $30 I have spent.

11. Good advice Jeff,,HRP