Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

This was a shoebox pick up thread
    and i thought it's a kind of off topic to post any progress pics there:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466217

So i decided to start a new one for building pics etch.
    Ok,here it starts.
    This project was slightly jammed because i was waiting for new powerbrake unit from Jamco,but i finally got it.I think its a good quality product,but i guess its designed for shoeboxes with stock motor and tranny.
    It will take brake pedal too much for the right and there's not too much space for the gas pedal,after doing a new transmission tunnel for the non stock transmission.
    But if the pedal assembly is bolted straight to the pedal assembly bracket on frame,without spacers that were included in kit.Then the pedal will be pretty much in same place than it originally was.But it needs a slight modification.

[​IMG]

There was a bung at the opposite side of pedal axle,but i cut it off just because it was on the way when bolting pedal assembly to the frame.
    It looked like a bit weak without that support bung.So i sealed clutch shaft hole with steelplate to get it stronger by that way..

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

[​IMG]

I welded a support plate to the pedals side,so i think it wont bend anymore.

[​IMG]

Another problem was that powerbrake unit sits too low.I cut off the sleeves from the unit's bracket,to get it closer to the frame.I also cut off the plate that attaches to frame from that plate that attaches to the brake unit.
    I weld them that way that the unit is so near the floor than its possible.

[​IMG]

Here it is welded on the frame,it needed a bit of trimming to get brake unit push rod to line with pedal assembly,but that wasnt a big issue.
    I hope this will help someone,who has same problems with shoebox brake units.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I think that i am not a wizard with a lathe,more amateur than pro.I've done some simple things with lathe like bungs,etch for my bike.I wanted factory matching beads to the floor panels,so i did bead roller dies with lathe for my harbor freight based bead roller:

[​IMG]

Matching dies may sound a bit of restorer stuff,but only reason for making those dies was that the panel work will be a bit easier with them.
    Especially if the patch will be welded to factory panel with original beads.

[​IMG]

I am glad how the top die fits on the original bead.
    I've rolled a patch panel to the drivers side floor,but its not welded yet.
    I guess this weekend will be too busy for welding job,but i'll post pics when its done.

winr and tb33anda3rd like this.

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

[​IMG]

Drivers side floor pan is now welded,but not completed...There's still something to do.

[​IMG]

The powerbrake unit went so near the floorpanel that i decided to make a hump on the floor.

[​IMG]

I bend the unit hole edges with this bar that i made from 1" steel bar.
    When i was bending the edges,i didnt need heat with this one,just gentle bending and some hammering.
    I guess the next step will be fabricating the top piece to the hump and i also have to fabricate a maintenance door on the top of that piece

6. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Very nice i am subscribed to this thread.

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys for subscribing

8. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Nice sheet metal work

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

[​IMG]

The top piece is done now.I found some hidden cancer from around the patch i've made before to the rear floor,so i have to tear that patch off and make bigger one....

[​IMG]

I think this is a score,a rear end from US made Ford Granada.
    I guess now you are wondering that what a hell he is talking about?
    We dont have much US made Granadas around here,so thats why its a score.
    Guy who sold me that,told me that he sold front fenders,hood etc. to the guy who has been looking for them something like ten years...
    I dont have any idea why that guy didnt buy them from states.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  11. Ozzie

Ozzie

more updates please

12. Finnrodder, Great looking floor you rolled , I have a 50 coupe , My avatar, It has a granada rear end also ! works great, I pulled out the 4 speed trans and changed to a C4 automatic to go behind the 289 , so smooth, Keep the pictures coming , looks excellent ,,,,Sam

13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Nice work man! But I have never seen a rear end out of a Granada with a removable rear cover...:confused:

14. smarg

smarg

Thats a pretty floor, Hope to put one in my coupe soon!

15. 21tat

21tat

Looking good!

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys,last two weeks have been really busy to me and i havent been in the garage lately.At last weekend i was in Italy and at next weekend will be one of the last bike ralleys in here for while.My boss talked something about doing overtime,but i hope that i get something done before the weekend.
    I've already rolled the rear floor patch,it just need some trimming and welding.

Guy that sold me the rear end,said it was from 76' US made Granada.The width matches to the Granada's axle and so does the wheel pattern...

17. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

My granda rear end is a normal 8" ford axle and not like the one in pic
    but maybe ford made axle with removble rear cover.

[​IMG]

her's a pic on mine

18. themodernartist

themodernartist

Yep! Cover is in the rear on the Granada. Not a problem so don't worry about the cover being in the rear. Both of my cars have Granada rear ends in them. I have a '47 Ford Street rod (with an 8") and a '51 Hudson Custom (with an 8.8") and have never had a problem with them. Besides, they are less expensive than the other 9"ers.
    Peace,
    Chaz

gears 2.jpg Primed rear end 1.jpg

19. farmer12

farmer12

Great fabrication, looking good!

20. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Do you have a photo from under the car for the Master Cylinder set up?

21. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

nice work...you wouldn't happen to have any extra bead roller dies laying around, would ya? LOL

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here's two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The angle for shooting those pics werent the best possible and sorry about the crap on the floor.I have to pull it out of the garage and sweep the floor before i start to work with the passengers side..

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for sharing those pics and thanks for the info!

Thanks man!

Nope,but i got the blueprints for them:D

24. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Thanks for the photos! It looks like you have it tucked up nicely and you did not have the notch the cross member for the brake rod. I am looking to do the same thing and was worried about bottoming out the booster. Looks like you have the solution. Again, many thanks.

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to hear that those pics helped you.There's not much space between the crossmember and the brake rod,about 3/4 inches.
    If you want to get the brake booster higher,it will be more complicated.Have to make a notch or a hole to the crossmember for brake rod and have to modify the pedal assembly aswell to get the brake rod in correct line.
    No point to go that far with Jamco's kit,its more reasonable to make your own in that case.

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Two weeks ago i was on one weekend trip to Italy and at last weekend i was on 500 mile motorcycle trip,both of them were really worth to go.But i guess i have travelled enough for a while,so at this weekend was time to do something with the shoebox.
    So i welded the patch panel to the drivers side rear floor:

[​IMG]

I have to clean the garage,take the shoebox out of there and reverse it back to the garage,so i get some room to work with the passengers side.Here's a little peek of what is waiting for me at the passengers side:

[​IMG]

Yes,the crappy rocker is filled with the urethane foam.Dont ask me why,i really dont know whats the point with this foam deal and i am not sure do i really want to know.
    Well,i guess its somekind of strange humour...
    I dont own a sawzall,so i have to borrow one from the work.
    I am not going to cut that rocker with angle grinder because of that foam...

PS.
    Here's a thread with some pics of my trip to Italy,take a look:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509721

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Keep pushing forward & it'll be done before you know it

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for encouraging.I know that there's a lot work to do,but i've seen a LOT worse projects than this.So,its not bad after all.:D

29. studeboy

studeboy

New cars are coming from the factory with foam in the rockers and pillar areas to reduce noise and air movement. There may also be some structural benefit but not much as the foam is fairly soft.

Nice work on the floors and master cylinder fab. Can't wait to see the rest of this build.

30. billys54

billys54