Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marvel Mystery Oil: Uses?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luketrash, Oct 7, 2004.

1. luketrash

luketrash

So I grabbed myself a 32oz jug of MMO the other night at the parts store, because I've read several things about it over the years.

Now I'm seeking advice for the best ways to use it on my '54. I've got a 223 inline 6 in there with solid lifters. The car has ~65,xxx miles on it and it's all original. I've been out driving it around, and was wondering if I should put any MMO in the oil, or in the gas tank?

Tips and advice appreciated!

2. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

3. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I use it in both as well. One other way I use it is to fog my motors for winter storage. I pour it right down the carb while it's idling till I stall it out. It coats all the inside surfaces. It's also great for squirting into spark plug holes in engines that have sat around awhile to help lube the cylinders and rings before firing it up.

4. OldRacer

OldRacer

A greatlube for your air tools too!!!!

5. I oil my gauze air filters (like K&N) with it after washing and drying them. Also use it for my air tools as has been mentioned.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Here just may be how this stuff was invented.

Story about Marvel Mystery Oil: During the summer of 2000 we were cruising through the Central Adirondacks of New York State in our mostly original '23 Touring. We stopped for gas at a local station, and a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 yrs old, in coveralls, came out to the pumps. I noticed he had a thick New York City accent. He admired the T, and we talked about old Fords for a few minutes. I finished gassing up, and topped off the tank with a 4 oz. baby-jar full of MMO. He said, "Why do you use that stuff?" I replied, I'd been using it(I'm 53 yrs old) for over 30 yrs in all my flathead V-8s, Model As and Ts, good upper cyl lube, etc, etc. He said, "I'll tell you a story: During the Depression, when I was in high school, I worked as a mechanic in a sewing shop in the Garment District in NYC. Those old sewing machines had visible oilers on top, and when it got hot the oil would stink, and the ladies who ran the machines would complain. The owner, whose name was Marvel, (pronounced Mar-VELL) told me to go down a few doors to the candy factory-I think it was a 'LifeSaver' type candy- and get a couple of gallons of Oil of Wintergreen and some food coloring. We mixed it with the 10 wt. sewing machine oil to make it less offensive to the ladies. It became popular with the other shops, and Marvel made more money with that oil, than with the sewing. Whenever anyone asked what was in the oil, Marvel said, 'Don't ask... It's a MYSTERY!' and that's how the name came about!"

You meet the most interesting people when you drive a Model T!

Regards,
    Steve DeCosa
    Oswego, NY

By Marvin Kleinjan (Marvin) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:24 pm:

Here is an interesting website with the inverse oilers.
    It would be cool to have one of these hooked up to an old engine.

marvel inverse oilers

7. ruttencutter

ruttencutter

Luke,

It's really good for protecting the tread surfaces of your tires. I think it also doubles as a high gloss car wax. And for glass, it works better than windex!

Don't forget it smells minty fresh! In a pinch I bet you could use it to add a little zing to your morning coffee. Hold the sugar.

-S

8. luketrash

luketrash

upon cracking it open, I did wonder if it would settle my stomach, as it smelled like Pepto Bismol to me..

9. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

tasty when mixed with 151 Bacardi

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I think my wacky boss drinks it [​IMG]

11. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

a friend of mine put in some MMO every time he changed the oil on his 90 chevy pu (he got it when it was new), and 15 years later (a few months ago) his original 350 finally blew up. Believe it or not it had well over 500,000 on it!

Id say MMO is some good shit if it can make an SBC from a farm pickup last for 15 years and half a million miles

12. Steve

Steve

I saw one of those oilers on a car not to long ago. interesting setup. GUess it lubes up the valves

13. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Man, I always used it just for my air tools, but now I'm rethinking my short-sightedness!

14. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

when i picked up my 331 hemi, it ran on propain.the guy i bought it from had a setup on the intake that held a can of mmo.said it keep the motor lubed.

15. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Around here, guys tend to run off-road diesel in thier pickups. Problem is, the govt dyes the off road diesel red so they can catch guys running it on-road and fine the shit out of them.

So, lots of guys leave an empty can of MMO in their truck bed. If the trooper pulls them over and catches them with red off-road diesel in their tank, they just say it's the Marvel additive causing it to be red.

Cops can't fight it and the guys save 50 cents a gallon on diesel.

16. k9racer

k9racer

About 35 years ago I was at a small Airfield and they were reworking two of the same type engines with the same hours. One was nasty inside and the other was clean so I asked what gives? the AP mech told me that the clean one used Marvel and they swore by it. After that I have used it in every engine I work on including the race cars. Good product or just good luck? Seams to work well in every thing from locks air tools,anything that moves come to think of it I might try it on my bad knee and other body joints.

17. fishtank

fishtank

How much do you add for each application: oil change, gas tank.

What about in your transmission?

18. Bryan

Bryan

"How much do you add for each application: oil change, gas tank.

What about in your transmission?"

TTT

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I use it in my WL - the guys on the flathead forum swear by it.

[ QUOTE ]
    "How much do you add for each application: oil change, gas tank.
    What about in your transmission?"

[/ QUOTE ]

As for dosage - check the can - it's got a lot of dosage based on application.

[​IMG]

20. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

[ QUOTE ]
    Luke,

It's really good for protecting the tread surfaces of your tires. I think it also doubles as a high gloss car wax. And for glass, it works better than windex!

Don't forget it smells minty fresh! In a pinch I bet you could use it to add a little zing to your morning coffee. Hold the sugar.

-S

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, it's so good that I use it on my hair, and under my arms, the wife washes the baby in it and I fill my Parker ink pen with the stuff too [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. I have allways used it in my bikes.........I've got 22years, YES 22 years on a rebuild on my Knucklehead and it's still going strong.......I put a little in the fuel only once a week.........also puts a shine on my boots [​IMG]

22. luketrash

luketrash

[ QUOTE ]
    How much do you add for each application: oil change, gas tank.

What about in your transmission?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I found online, about 4oz of the stuff to 10-12 gallons of gas. 1 quart in place of once quart of oil on an oil change.

I didn't see any information about putting it in the transmission. My transmission runs on 90wt gear oil, and MMO is like 10wt right?

So it won't be going in there.

23. rusty210

rusty210

I've used it to free a stuck motor. Worked great.

24. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

It's great for making cosmo's! hehe..

25. [ QUOTE ]
    I oil my gauze air filters (like K&N)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an MMO fan as well.
    One use I like for it is to fill the cylinders on an engine that's been sitting a while.
    Did that on my bother-in-laws 32 Nash that had been stored exactly 50 years when we pulled it out of a barn. (He'd known the lady owner since childhood.)
    Anyway, filled the Nash's cylinders, was gonna let it sit overnight, but couldn't resist and next morning I pulled the flywheel dust cover and the engine turned over easily.
    Couple of days later it started up ok, but didn't run well due to the frozen in place accel pump on the updraft carb.

Here's a fwiw for ya.

I did a little comparative testing between K&N's official filter oil and some Ford style ATF.
    Smelled the same, tasted the same, looked the same and then I ran a real scientific test with a couple of single ball bearing balls and a couple of test tubes.
    One tube with the K&N stuff and the other with ATF.
    Dropped the balls into the side by side test tubes at the same time and they sank to the bottom at the same rate - proving the viscosity was the same.
    Not the most scientific test in the world, but that's about as tech as it gets in my garage.

In any event, I ran the ATF in all my dirt bike K&N filters over the years and no problems. Worked the same as the official stuff.
    I expect to do the same when I re-oil the K&N filter in my 32. [​IMG]

26. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Does ATF come in a spray can? I once tried the por-on kind, then tried the spray-on and never went back. I don't use enough to make it an expensive proposition for me though.

27. luketrash

luketrash

my fiancee has some Martha Stewart pump spray that you put cooking oil in and pump it up and it sprays out like PAM pan grease.

Buying one of those and filling it with ATF would make it spray out all nice-like.

I bet it'd be useful to have an MMO mister like that too.

you could spray a mist down the carb, or spray it in the cylinders, etc...

looks pretty similar to this:

[​IMG]

Too bad you cant stick a red WD-40 straw in the nozzle [​IMG]

28. CptStickfigure

CptStickfigure
    from Urbana, IL

No, but a couple of seconds with a small knife and you should be able to open it up enough to fit the straw. Something like one of those x-acto woodworking kits should have something about the right size.

Practice on a cheap spray nozzle until you get the hang of it.

Of course the whittled nozzle won't do a regular fine spray anymore.

29. <font color="red"> HELL ...all these good aplicotions i never knew...I just use the stuff to beat off with!

R E D M E A T </font>

30. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    I just use the stuff to beat off with!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence your name... [​IMG]

[​IMG]