Register now to get rid of these ads!

My First L.A. Roadsters Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty much in your shoes, always wanted to go, never made it. Only difference is you've fulfilled your dream. I almost had it nailed to go to the 50th but things didn't align. Thanks for "going in our place".

Frank

3. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks for posting.....cool

4. ah the allusive press pass. great pics i also want to go someday

5. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

sounds like it was a blast, great photos

6. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Good seeing you again Kevin, you looked all official with the press pass.

7. TOE

TOE

I hope to make it out there someday...

For now I will have to live vicariously through all the posts here on the HAMB.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As a guy from the Carolinas ... Los Angeles seemed like a world away when I would read about the LA Roadster show. Being a 32 Ford roadster owner, I have always been interested in the Roadster show and their history as a club. I always read the stories that Jack Stewart and Neal East wrote about 32 Fords and the LA Roadster event. About 20 years ago ... I finally decided I HAD to go. I have been four times now ... and had a great time ... every time.

If you are a participant of the roadster show ( roadsters only side ) ... you recieve a nice pewter mug on Sunday afternoon. They are prized by Roadster owners ...

I am proud to say I have four of them ... sitting in a place of honor in my home.

[​IMG]

9. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

In pic #15, what are the heads on this engine?

10. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

I hate people riding around in golf carts making everyone get out of their way..........

Walk it, like the rest of us

6/16

**Just to add...when you've been hot by a golf cart twice in the same day (and not by old people who need one), it gets annoying. Most shows here shut down all motorized traffic after the gates open. I can understand old people needing one, the handicap.... but not some young person/VIP who needs to pull up to every swap table and take up all the viewing space..... you get the picture.....

11. Von Franco

Von Franco

You sent the right guy for the job man............good job Kevin...........

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice to see old 397 still has that one-of-a-kind paint scheme. I like that car!

13. Silva

Silva

Oh we walked it... and then some!

Jack... being the classy guy he is, gave us the lay of the land then we were on our own...just like the rest.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well HRDave, the truth of the matter is, MOST of the guys in the golf carts either are approaching 80 (eighty) years old, OR have a health condition that no longer will allow them to "hoof it" all around the Fairplex grounds, in order to make the LAR show a winner each year, the entire membership starts the show areas on Thursday before Fathers day, lining spots, exhibition area, etc., then Sat. & Sun. All members are up at 3AM going about their annual duties to make this prestigious show a winner for the public to enjoy for Fathers day!!
    So, cut them a bit of slack, they are very tired about the time you see them in their golf carts! I'm only 75 & when I drive my 32 roadster down to help out with the show every 3 years or so, I get pooped out too!!------Don

15. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Kevin-

It was my first one too and I LOVED it!! Killer swap, Killer cars, and tons of it all! I've never seen so many nice sedan, coupe, roadster and phaeton bodies/ projects for sale in one place!
    I worked at the Hop Up booth (look for the big red balloon) grilling "Hop" Dogs at lunch time, cooking up 188 weiners in less than an hour. The Bean Bandits, Peter Vincent, Don Dillard, Elmo Rodge, Wil Sakowski, Pete Chapouris, Robert Williams and many more stopped by and had a few eats. We had a hoot!

Anyway, I'll be back next year, with more sunblock and better walking shoes!

16. 2002p51

2002p51

I have one and I'm proud of mine too.

My first time ever as a spectator at the L.A. Roadsters was in 1973.

[​IMG]

I've posted these photos before, but if you want to see them again, here's the link:

http://public.fotki.com/2002p51/showin/the-1973-la-roadste/

The first time I ever went as a participant was in '05.

[​IMG]

We had to drive the round trip from San Diego on both days. It's a neat feeling, driving through the "roadsters only" gate.
    I still have the sticker on the headlight!

And if you'll forgive me a little L.A. Roadsters story;

In 2007, we were at the Goodguys event in Charlotte and some folks from the L.A. Roadsters were taking in the show while traveling the East Coast on vacation. When they walked past our car and saw the sticker on the headlight and the dash plaque inside the car, they got all excited about seeing a car "back east" that had been in their show. We had a great time talking to them and hanging out for awhile. This hobby can be a very small world.

17. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Here Here. Props to the LA Roadsters for putting on this phenominal show year after year. I have seen the same faces in their red shirts and white pants workin there asses off all weekend for as long as I can remember. The membership in this club is not getting any larger or younger for that matter.
    WE ALL SHOULD THANK THESE GUYS FOR THEIR EFFORT!!:D

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, a HAMB press pass AND a golfcart tour of the lay of the land.... who woulda thought.

19. Kevin,

Great pics ... thanks for sharing!

It's been too many years since I've attended "Father's Day" ... your thread has inspired me to make the drive down south next year for the 45th Annual event.

I first met Jack Stewart in the 70's at his house in Southgate ... still remember that day vividly ... as a young teenager, I thought Jack was so cool ... he had some great stories to tell (BS'ed with my dad & I for several hours) ... I suspect that he's much the same today? ... when it comes to the history of this hobby of ours, he's "been there, done that"

Hemi32

20. That little T RPU gets around... Thanks for the great pics.

21. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

HHR Dave, no offence but do to health reasons a few of us are unable to just walk around like the rest of us. We dont like it any more then you do. Id like to have you spend a day in my body with an implanted morphine pain pump. Just 1 day because I wouldnt wish life like this on anyone. Its either that or stay at home. What goes around, comes around, keep that in mind

22. cruzr

cruzr

another great show, great venue ! been going for years, but the real show is in the swap meet and parking area !!!!!!!!!

The "Hamb Camp" was a huge success and we had many Hambers stop by and say howdy!

23. Gotta add my .02c here. It is one of my favorite shows & the best of all I've ever been to in my 75 years. Everything goes off on time & the people that work it make you really feel welcomed. Just to meet old pals is worth the trip & the cars are the icing on the cake not to mention the swapmeet. All I can say say is if you don't like it don't go. Plenty of other shows in the vicinity to attend. We had a great time & thanks to Bad Bob & Chili Phil for the chili. Drove over 2,000 miles round trip. Beat the gas shock by filling up every 100 miles it didn't seem too bad . Can't wait to get this gas bill!!! Had a great BBQ & time @ Thumper & Flos' party also. Thought it was better than so-cals. They sure have a party house with a 48 ford coupe body cut in half on the back fence. Will try to post some pics when I get home as I'm still on the road in Fresno.
    B-O-B

24. autobilly

autobilly

Great pics Silva. Some superb cars, both rebuilt and original.
    Sunshine and roadsters, looks like the So Cal of my dreams; complete with tables and blankets full of old parts.

25. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

Its always the same but different :)

so many cars its hard to pick your favorite ,
    so many parts that will not fit your car , but are too cool anyway ,

normally hot or very hot ,

but its always fun , but overwelming

and how early do the guys under the trees get in line ?

Beaulieu

26. Wish you would have stopped by Camp HAMB, Kevin! Had some "mess your pants" chili going on, LOL!!!!

27. Silva

Silva

Sorry I missed you at the "Hop-Up" tent, lotsa cool stuff was going on there!

Bob....I totally missed camp "HAMB" Frankly I just didnt have enough time to see everything.
    The Chili sounds like it could have been a story in itself!

Scrumpy...The heads are actually "Thickstun" covers for a flathead...pretty cool Huh?

28. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

I am very lucky to live in L.A. I have been to the show about half a dozen times.
    Ironically, it could be called the Grand Fathers Day Roadster Show, if you look at the rides to be found inside.

As far as we traditional fans are concerned, the real action is at the swap meet. Fun people, jalopies, and plenty of deals to be had.

I took a bunch of photos for my magazine. Sorry I can't post them here; my boss would not be happy.

29. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

By the way my all-time fav cars were at the Hop Up area. I totally lost my mind looking at them...

30. Kevin, I too was born and raised on the east coast and always had to get my fix of the "cool" events through the magazines, but after raising a family I finally got my turn a couple of years ago to make the roadster show. I guess we shouldn't feel bad about taking so long to get there, hell, there are still guys who live in California that probably have'nt made it yet:confused::D !
    I've also been able to realize another dream trip of mine, I went to the salt flats a couple of years ago too. I WILL be going back to both again. Maybe I'll catch up to some of you west coast guys then..........:)